Youngsters Impress

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Youngsters Impress

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors Head Coach, Shaun Wane, on Wigan’s win at Catalans Dragons

Warriors beat Dragons 26-6 to go joint top of Super League

“The young lads dug deep and got their reward” Shaun Wane

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane said he was ‘proud’ of his young players after the Warriors beat Catalans Dragons 26-6 in Perpignan.

Wigan made the trip to the South of France without seven first team players whilst still awaiting the arrival of Frank-Paul Naauasala but came out on top as they beat Catalans for the second time this season.

Speaking after the game, Wane said: “All of our young players stood up to the test.

“Catalans have got some big bodies, aggressive players and they tried to bully us at times but the young lads dug deep and got their reward.

“Oliver Gildart scored that long try and the likes of Sam Powell, Ryan Sutton and George Williams run in to congratulate him which is great because they are still young lads too.

“It was Taulima Tautai and Ryan Sutton’s 50th game for Wigan so I am glad we got the result for them too. We have got a lot to be proud of with that win.”

In a change to recent years, the squad flew in and out of France on the same day and Wane believes it was a good idea.

“It worked well. It was Rads’ (Kris Radlinski) idea, the players were all organised and they have a got a day off now so I was happy with our preparation.”

Wane hailed the French club on their efforts, he said: “To be fair to Catalans, they stuck at it as it was a draw pretty much in the second-half which made for a good game of rugby league.

“Catalans have a lot of Super League and NRL experience in their team so it is always tough for any team to come over here and beat them but I was pleased with the performance that we put in.

“I’m very pleased that we are now joint top of Super League. It is a top effort from our players, we now have a short turnaround but I will make sure they are ready for Friday (against Wakefield).”

Wigan Warriors return to Super League action at the DW Stadium on Friday evening. Tickets for this game and for the upcoming Derby against St Helens are on sale from the DW Stadium Ticket Office, the Ticket Hotline and online HERE.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... DvjQbd9.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
SJ

Re: Youngsters Impress

Post by SJ »

We are now playing like a unit (not individuals). Why keep looking back to "all our yesterdays". TL, MM et al are yesterday's men. Experience is best aquired.by playing regularly to a good game plan.We are told the likes of eg Powell will learn from TL,MM and like "platitudes" What I,d like to. Know is exactly what they will learn from these guys. From what I have witnessed Powell Gildart Williams are in a different league That's my opinion and I can't see me changing it So save the abuse taa :cool:
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I think if you ask the young lads what could they learn from the older guys they would simply say 'a hell of a lot'!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

SJ wrote:We are now playing like a unit (not individuals). Why keep looking back to "all our yesterdays". TL, MM et al are yesterday's men. Experience is best aquired.by playing regularly to a good game plan.We are told the likes of eg Powell will learn from TL,MM and like "platitudes" What I,d like to. Know is exactly what they will learn from these guys. From what I have witnessed Powell Gildart Williams are in a different league That's my opinion and I can't see me changing it So save the abuse taa :cool:
No abuse deserved, our young lads are doing well and Wane has admitted that if all his players are ever fit he will have one almighty headache.

And consider this;

Clubb McIlorum Crosby
Bateman Farrell
Tomkins

All injured but a full pack that any team would be glad of!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I think if you ask the young lads what could they learn from the older guys they would simply say 'a hell of a lot'!!
Correct! LFE - LEARNING FROM EXPERIENCE, it occurs in every facet of life.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Only shows the strength of the Wigan squad compared to other clubs in the Super League.

When a team missing around seven of its best players, containing two debutants, another just returned from a long injury, a Captain sent off, two sin binning's, playing most of the game with twelve men and a Referee against you as well, it shows not only the strength of the squad, but also the team spirit and tenacity within it.

What other club could turn a likely looking defeat into a win like they did last night by not giving up!

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I think if you ask the young lads what could they learn from the older guys they would simply say 'a hell of a lot'!!
Correct! LFE - LEARNING FROM EXPERIENCE, it occurs in every facet of life.
I think it's fair to say that they will learn positives from the older players but also learn from the mistakes of older players as well and how not to do things at times, like you say LFE!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Aaron C. Rescue

Post by Aaron C. Rescue »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Only shows the strength of the Wigan squad compared to other clubs in the Super League.

When a team missing around seven of its best players, containing two debutants, another just returned from a long injury, a Captain sent off, two sin binning's, playing most of the game with twelve men and a Referee against you as well, it shows not only the strength of the squad, but also the team spirit and tenacity within it.

What other club could turn a likely looking defeat into a win like they did last night by not giving up!

Maybe, just maybe, this 'Waneball' thing works!!
"Are you a jew by any chance ?", "No, a tree fell on me"

'I was certain, positive, convinced, and yet...unsure'

'It's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it'
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

Aaron C. Rescue wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:Only shows the strength of the Wigan squad compared to other clubs in the Super League.

Ha! Nice one!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Aaron C. Rescue wrote:

I've always supported WaneBall ????????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan