Refereeing

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Refereeing

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Is it time for SL to follow the lead of the NRL and introduce two referees per game? The pace of the game is making it almost impossible for the officials to carry out their duties effectively and that is leading to claims of referees being biased.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Owd Codger

Re: Refereeing

Post by Owd Codger »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Is it time for SL to follow the lead of the NRL and introduce two referees per game? The pace of the game is making it almost impossible for the officials to carry out their duties effectively and that is leading to claims of referees being biased.
The problem is more than likely that we do not have the level of not only quality officials, but also the number required when you take into account the many games we have here compared with down under.

OJ

Post by OJ »

With our luck we'd get Hicks and Child together
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

markill

Post by markill »

Ruck speed is probably the biggest thing that's consistently poorly refereed at the moment. Two refs would help that.

Super League obviously has more rounds than NRL but less games per round outside the origin period, so it's feasible to get two per game, but numbers probably aren't quite there at the moment to do it
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
moto748

Post by moto748 »

People talk a lot about "the speed of the modern game". Well I watched an archive game on Wigan TV yesterday, Wigan v Saints 1998 from the Andy Farrell era. Modern SL (and most NRL) looks so pedestrian by comparison! The game was 'a thrill a minute' in those days; we've lost so much.

Stevo and Eddie were just as bad, though. :lol:
WiganPom

Post by WiganPom »

Having lived in Australia for nearly three years I don't think the officiating is that much better if at all in the NRL. The two ref system for me does not speed the game up enough and the inconsistent decision making is regular as in Super League. The refs over here take the mickey with the number of video ref calls too. The refs take less crap over here but don't have the balls of the Super League refs to get the red card out.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

WiganPom wrote:Having lived in Australia for nearly three years I don't think the officiating is that much better if at all in the NRL. The two ref system for me does not speed the game up enough and the inconsistent decision making is regular as in Super League. The refs over here take the mickey with the number of video ref calls too. The refs take less crap over here but don't have the balls of the Super League refs to get the red card out.
Do you think that the ruck area is better policed in the NRL?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards