Tonights game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
LooseHead

Re: Tonights game

Post by LooseHead »

Too many players underperforming. Can't remember the last good game Flower, Lockers, Gildart or Sarge had. I feel for SW to an extent as he hasn't got enough fit players to pick from but I also think he has a bloody minded philosophy that players will play themselves into form. If you're in bad form you need time good coaching to get through it, not sure SW 'gets' that.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

LooseHead wrote:Too many players underperforming. Can't remember the last good game Flower, Lockers, Gildart or Sarge had. I feel for SW to an extent as he hasn't got enough fit players to pick from but I also think he has a bloody minded philosophy that players will play themselves into form. If you're in bad form you need time good coaching to get through it, not sure SW 'gets' that.
So you think our attack is good?
loyalbelfast

Post by loyalbelfast »

Folks

Remember one & all its a p-poor league overall this season & this is where we are in it (3rd & now out of CC ) so please imgine where we would be if other so called top teams (aka Leeds/Stains/Hudds etc) where on their game? Food for thought surely?

A&L
(just like Belfast!)
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is no secret I do not rate Wane but the players worked their backsides off as they do nearly every game. To be fair Hull worked their backsides off too but they were very beatable tonight, you only have to look at the last quarter despite being dominant for 60 minutes. The 2nd half possession stats will show you how silly statistics can be (the the last quarter shift masked reality re stats)

Wigan never fold and it took a very good offloading movement with a huge slice of luck (tip on) to get a try and then an uncharacteristic knock on by Manfredi (he may be less than fully fit BTW but I am not sure the game fatigued him). Smith's conversion miss was a glaring error as was the Gildart forward pass disallowed Tierney try but Hull had a few bad errors in them so it might be swings and roundabouts.

No, fatigue loses Wigan games. I said beforehand that Wigan could win and I still maintain that BUT to win that game we needed possession, field piosition heavily in our favour. Beforehand, I thought 80-20 otr 70-30 but looking at Hull 65-35 or even 60-40 at a push.

However, you will rarely if ever win a RL game when you have to work so much harder than the opposition and even though we were ahead the 1st half hurt Wigan more than Hull re energy. You then throw in the start of the 2nd half where Hull enjoyed 80-20 possession/field position that Wigan were simply goosed of energy, energy that players less than fully fit badly needed and when you need magic, the players are simply too fatigued to must any. Worrying for Hull is that with so much in their favour they only just won which points heavily to Wire in the final (if they get there; they should quite easily IMO).

You cannot ask players to slog their guts out week after week and then pull it out in the biggest games. The recent losses were made in those nail biting win, back from the death. EVERY win was sapping energy and we lost games before the semi because the energy levels were down so much that to expect the players to turn it around in a huge game is asking far too much. The players are human beings not supermen.

Wigan 2016 will never quit but I have been saying for long enough, the coaching; the strategy is not good enough. Hopefully tonight can motivate the team for the play offs.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

LooseHead wrote:Too many players underperforming. Can't remember the last good game Flower, Lockers, Gildart or Sarge had. I feel for SW to an extent as he hasn't got enough fit players to pick from but I also think he has a bloody minded philosophy that players will play themselves into form. If you're in bad form you need time good coaching to get through it, not sure SW 'gets' that.
Players flogged themselves silly. Even Sarge with a busted nose.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

thegimble wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
loyalbelfast wrote:First of all where is our support? its all Hull fans one end of the ground with mostly plastic seats elswhere except for a few sections behind goal! Its a semi for goodness sake in a 2 trophy season! What's wrong we are Wigan!(atop team in this planet ?? Imagine if it was a top 4 footie team in a Fa cup semi with thousands not going to it?

Its all Hull really so far ball wise yet we lead!! Super defence we have but little attack

Big big performmances required 2nds stanza please to get us to Wem..b...lee...Wem...B..Lee from ech player .

No one so far gets above 7 or stands out individually

A&L (just like Belfast!)
LoL, the whole plan was for Hull to have massive support and Wigan to have very little. Two semis; Wigan get the Friday evening slot rather than Saturday v Hull at a stadium twice as close to Hull as Wigan. It is no reason to lose BUT the RFL wanted Hull in the final.

If the RFL genuinely wanted a big attendance etc then they mysteriously did the opposite ;)
I disagree RFL will get a higher gate Wire V Hull than Wigan v Wire due to the amount of Warriors which go to the final regardless of who is playing.
I was talking semis. Finals sell out whomever plays.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I can't remember any time in the past when I didn't want us to score but tonight I worried what would happen if we fluked our way to Wembley.

I'm not sure the problem is wholly on the pitch. I do think that this squad of players (although I have serious doubts about some) could achieve great things if they were properly coached.

Slow passing across the field meant that Hull hardly had to break sweat to stop us and as the match went on, you could see individuals reasoning that the basic play would never work so why not try something on your own. I don't blame them, frankly.

Defensively, we never seemed to concentrate on clamping the ball and the endless shots of Wane sat on his own, seeming never to issue orders to change our play summed it all up.

How did we get to here from where we used to be? We were run of the mill - another Castleford, if you will and I can't see any reason to hope if nothing changes off the field. Importing a big lump who hits people isn't my idea of progressive rugby for a change of emphasis next season.

A very sad night.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:
thegimble wrote:
cpwigan wrote: LoL, the whole plan was for Hull to have massive support and Wigan to have very little. Two semis; Wigan get the Friday evening slot rather than Saturday v Hull at a stadium twice as close to Hull as Wigan. It is no reason to lose BUT the RFL wanted Hull in the final.

If the RFL genuinely wanted a big attendance etc then they mysteriously did the opposite ;)
I disagree RFL will get a higher gate Wire V Hull than Wigan v Wire due to the amount of Warriors which go to the final regardless of who is playing.
I was talking semis. Finals sell out whomever plays.
Sorry CP
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

up the junction wrote:Three tries in two games????? Utter garbage . Sarge needs to go now ,Gildart not yet ready ,and Powell for all his tackling brings nothing to our attack,every other 9 in the league runs and makes yards from dummy but ours.We cant blame Smith all season for a failing team with no clue in attack .Danny Houghton looked like a world beater .
Gildart is a very talented young player. What do you expect Powell to do? like h100% of the Wigan team he spends most of the game defending. Tonight he was top tackle in the whole game adter 40 mins.

I agree re hookers playing from dummy half but Mac stopped doing so under Wane so maybe they follow instructions and Powell will do exactly that. IMO, he is Wigan's player of the season which perhaps reflects the season but damn he works his backside off.

The sad part of 9's is Brad Dwyer! Wiganer, on our scholarship/service area too as a half back. Always a 9 never a half got booted from our scholarship, Wire picked him up.
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

I understand after reading earlier comments the Disappointment. With the squad we had.I thought it was a marvellous effort.Once again a game that goes to the wire,fine margins,small mistakes,and i didn't see a lack of Hart under the Wigan shirt anywhere.
Players half fit. Madfreds drop ball.The poorest thing hes done since starting at wigan. No blame though,hes a star in my book,he was gutted. .The other side of the coin.Williams throws a forward pass and we go over for a NO TRY.Looked ok to me.I can go on and on about VERY small margins.

With the choices he has,Wayne is doing a fabulous job and deserves some real support from fans,hes 101% wigan through and through.He was gutted at the end of the game.Along with an exhausted, bloody team that where a pass,kick, a couple of poor refd decission away from Wembley.Edge of your seat stuff again.

Gutted i am like many,but over reaction is not cool.Congrats to Hull.Big pat on the back for our Warriors and next week we go again.

4G