Attack coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Attack coach

Post by thegimble »

medlocke wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:
thegimble wrote:Iestyn Harris
+1
Isn't part of the problem the fact we keep bringing ex personel back, if anyone is brought in then let it be fresh blood
How has that worked out for the last 2 seasons
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote:Patrick Ah Van
:wink:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:
catman wrote:Three potential assistant/attack coaches out there are

1. Kieron Purtill
2. Scott Naylor
3. Thomas Leuluai

All three have different qualities and could be brought in to aid our misfiring attack
Thomas Leuluai is already signed for next year!!
He's going to be playing though isn't he. When Deacon was being groomed for a coaching job while still playing he wasn't acting as a full assistant to Wane.

The solution is much simpler. Just get rid of Wane. He is a coaching dinosaur not just in attacking tactics but his whole approach to the game which boils down to motivation (getting the players wound up) and nothing else. Stuck out like a sore thumb v Saints. We were more interested it putting Saints on their backsides than playing RL and that comes from the top.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

medlocke wrote:Patrick Ah Van
Dennis Betts doesn't want to bring the Van along with Mellor, Runcibum & Hanbury meds, I'm gutted for you mate, as I know you'd attend every home and away game if the van man was on board. ????????
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Tommy L has been signed as a coach. He will Im sure play plenty games but that is the lead up to his coaching career at Wigan.

Whether he will be the attacking coach, defensive coach or half back coach I don't know. We could sure do with all three given our points for total.

If TL was the half backs coach and Waney defensive coach then I'd go for Terry Campese as attacking coach.
I know he's a half back but also a very clever rugby player and I think he would sort out our attacking problems quick style.

We also need new thinking at Wigan. All the opposition now know what former and current Wigan player's attacking style is all about.
Campese would bring something fresh and new to the club, the squad and that's what we need in abundence right now.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Do ex-players need a piece of paper or some official qualification to be a coach? Or can anyone call themselves a coach and just start doing it?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote:Do ex-players need a piece of paper or some official qualification to be a coach? Or can anyone call themselves a coach and just start doing it?
Is that a serious question?

If so, of course they have to have an official qualification! They have to go on courses & earn their 'badges' to classed as a coach.

Sean O'Loughin has also got coaching 'badges'. He works with the U19's along with Darrell Goulding.

No matter at which stage you coach, from the kiddies upward to amateur teams you have to have qualifications.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
SJ

Post by SJ »

Spot on Ted. Campase would be a good call. Good Rugby brain. Just having a brain is a step in the right direction No more Wigan old boys. All yesterday's men.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

josie andrews wrote:
moto748 wrote:Do ex-players need a piece of paper or some official qualification to be a coach? Or can anyone call themselves a coach and just start doing it?
Yes. If that's OK.

I know that's true in football of course, and assumed a similar procedure applied in rugby; just wanted to be sure. Especially in the light of TL's return. So he's got his badges in NZ, then?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
Yes. If that's OK.

I know that's true in football of course, and assumed a similar procedure applied in rugby; just wanted to be sure. Especially in the light of TL's return. So he's got his badges in NZ, then?
I replied to your question, why didn't you quote it all? It looks like I hadn't answered you.

You can't just 'say' your a coach without the relevant certificates to prove it!

John Winder, our assistant coach, got some of his in Australia at Melbourne Storm! Then continued here with the U19's.

I don't know if Tommy has any badges yet to be honest. He may have got some over in NZ.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan