Derby Preview

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Derby Preview

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan v St. Helens - a must-not-miss Rugby League fixture. It’s also a must-not-lose encounter.

There is always something on the line when these two historic clubs meet and for Wigan this week, that could well be their hopes of finishing the 8s on top of the ladder.

Sat in third, the Warriors are currently a solitary point behind Warrington and a further one from the lead, yet defeat to Saints could see a positional swap between the two owing to points difference.

Saints came into the league-split phase with the aim of ensuring they made the all-important four and yet a streak of seven consecutive victories has propelled them to having an outside chance of the #1 spot themselves.

Both sides enter this encounter missing key personnel, however: Wigan’s talented wingman Dom Manfredi has been ruled out for the season with an ACL injury while club captain Sean O’Loughlin has a hamstring complaint that will keep him out with forward Lee Mossop also unavailable for selection.

For Saints, though, the absentees appear to be a little more hampering and could influence just how their form holds in this one in searching for back-to back victories over the old enemy.

Luke Thompson looks set to miss this match-up after being found guilty of a shoulder charge while midfield lynchpin Luke Walsh also looks unlikely to play after copping a two-match ban. It remains to be seen if one or both players appeal their verdicts on Thursday evening.

But, the main loss to the Saints cause has to be the leg injury picked up by Mark Percival that could rule him out for even longer.

Percival has been a key performer for Keiron Cunningham throughout the Saints revival, his return to the fold and an upturn in form being no coincidence.

More than just the points he contributes, the homegrown centre has a natural understanding with fellow youth graduate Adam Swift that has seen the winger become a lethal asset (ten tries in eight games) on the edge and help catapult the 2014 double-winners back into contention.

The Cherry and Whites will be looking to avenge the 23-4 loss suffered to the Red Vee in the last regular season fixture, which Shaun Wane described as “devastating”, so to know that the man responsible for 14 of the 23 points on that day is absent, will be a fillip and go some way to aid them finding a way to win.

The absence of O’Loughlin and Manfredi here is a blow to the Warriors but they are boosted by the news that top try-scorer Josh Charnley is included in the matchday squad despite a knock, alongside the Warriors’ scheming number six, George Williams, meaning their backline isn’t as disrupted as the visitors - a bonus going into such a crucial home fixture.

An eight-and-four record at home this season doesn’t sound like anything to be really concerned about but the Warriors have slipped to defeat at the DW against all their top rivals in Hull FC, Warrington and the Saints, as well going down to Widnes Vikings.

Wigan will, however, be roared on by the faithful at the DW even more than usual and, considering all, it is difficult not to opt for Shaun Wane’s side to respond in requisite fashion.

On the last seven occasions that Wigan have proved victorious in this tie they have done so by clearing the handicap that 188BET offer so as they are favoured again here - take up the 1.87 price on a Warriors win by five or more.

Kaine Greenwood’s recommended bet: Wigan -4.5 handicap (1.87)

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... XKdj8fy.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: Derby Preview

Post by moto748 »

To me, that scarcely reads like something that's come from within the club. Who is Kaine Greewood?

Google tells me he is a 'rugby league expert'.

Aren't we all? :lol:

Is he/she something to do with 188Bet?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

second time ive seen a comment saying that if we lose to Saints the table positions would swap due to points difference.

have i missed something are games now worth 4 points?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Caboosegg wrote:second time ive seen a comment saying that if we lose to Saints the table positions would swap due to points difference.

No there is only 2 points still. But Saints will go above Wigan if they win on points.
Wigan 34 points
Saints 32 points.
mikey

Post by mikey »

Win or lose if someone offered an away tie at Hull for the semifinals I'd be more than happy
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:second time ive seen a comment saying that if we lose to Saints the table positions would swap due to points difference.

No there is only 2 points still. But Saints will go above Wigan if they win on points.
Wigan 34 points
Saints 32 points.
ive just found out my error, i use the BBC and it has a seperate super 8's table to the league one :D
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Caboosegg wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:

Wigan 34 points
Saints 32 points.

ive just found out my error, i use the BBC and it has a seperate super 8's table to the league one :D
I knew you had it does throw you when you go on site and table comes up first. Makes better reading tho don't it :D