Lockers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Lockers

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Many are calling for Lockers to retire but who would you replace him with? There are not many players around with his skillset, certainly none in this country! I can't think of anyone in SL who could get anywhere near filling his boots.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
thegimble

Re: Lockers

Post by thegimble »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Many are calling for Lockers to retire but who would you replace him with? There are not many players around with his skillset, certainly none in this country! I can't think of anyone in SL who could get anywhere near filling his boots.
Bateman
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Many are calling for Lockers to retire but who would you replace him with? There are not many players around with his skillset, certainly none in this country! I can't think of anyone in SL who could get anywhere near filling his boots.

Many could fill his boots at the moment. Plays less than 6 games a season.This is a massive waste on salary cap.Think lockers is great but the time has come to call it a day. Bateman is perfect replacment.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Ben Currie would be a great replacement
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Firestarter wrote:Ben Currie would be a great replacement
We missed him a LONG TIME AGO :(

We got Chris Taylor, Wire got Ben Currie.
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

We have many viable options to replace Lockers at 13, but our coach needs to change our style of play, as NON are capable of being able to replica what Lockers does for THIS team in THUS structure.

Bateman
Sutton
TT
FPN
ISA

All of the above could play 13 and play it well, but none will provide the same shape we get when Lockers plays there.

pieaterinLeigh

Post by pieaterinLeigh »

Lockers' influence goes beyond the number of games he plays but even his biggest fan would struggle to argue that he is coming to the end of a very good career.

Given the (justified at times) criticism of our style of play this season though, can any of those suggesting getting rid or Lockers and/or replacing him with players who's skill set is much closer to a conventional second rowers explain how that would be constructive?

I'm a fan of Bateman but he's not a ball playing loose forward who will offer the option of a third half back when needed
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

What about trying Williams there? He's played in the forwards he's got the skills for a creative 13 and if Sam Tomkins has lost some pace for fullback bring him into the halves with Tommy L and look for another fullback,it would give flexibility off the bench as Williams could easily move back in the halves or hooker if needed and have somebody like Shorrocks or Hampshire on the bench, I think this could give us plenty of attacking options.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I think Lockers will have one last season next year. Personally I would use him at prop, where he could be "spelled" and only play about fifty minutes per game. If you're looking at a like for like replacement, then Nick Gregson would be the closest we have at Wigan. I suppose that may also may depend on how he comes back from his ACL injury.
markill

Post by markill »

Gregson is the closest replacement, but it's Bateman's spot to give up for me. We don't need an exact replica of a legend, we should play to what we have rather than try and force something
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod