Forecast v Hull ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Forecast v Hull ?

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Nezza Faz wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:I disagree PM, I think his line defence has been great and saved a number of tries these last few weeks, where we've offered very little in attack so taken a hammering in our 20. He's also been a lot safer under those bombs; after all he needs to be, as just about every team has a better kicking game than us.

In general, his entire defensive game is much stronger since his time in the NRL. Think he's a bit stronger too, which helps. Agree though, not the same player on the attacking side of things but hopefully over the close season, this will markedly improve and approach something like he was. Still a huge influence with his presence in the opposition 20 and does create space for others.

Not a write off at all.
Tomkins was hopeless with those two high bombs tonight letting them bounce which could have cost us points on the scoreboard.
I feel Shaul would have caught those with ease, and in general is far better than Tomkins is on current form.

One spiralled all over the place and changed its trajectory in the air. And he wasn't in the best position to take it where it eventually landed, so must have made a judgement call to allow it to bounce into a relatively safe on-field area.

I've seen all this season on Premier TV, top NRL fb's make exactly the same decision, and at the same time top NRL fb's make cock-ups trying to latch onto the kick.

Shaull is playing with tons of confidence, helped by his team efforts, something Sam's not had that luxury off his own team mates.
Spiraling ball or not, a top fullback bags them most times, and I still say shaul would have caught them both as he doesn't back off them as Tomkins (marquee player) did tonight. It wasn't as though Tomkins was being pressurised by attacking players to take those balls, so I fail to see the pressure he was under that your referring to. His confidence may be an issue, I do agree with that, as last season he would have caught those balls.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I think his ability under the high bomb in defence is 100% better than when he left us to go to the Warriors.

You can have all the confidence going for a towering bomb, but still make a minor misjudgement and cause a cock-up.

I think Shaull did make an error on a high cross kick tonight, if I'm not mistaken - when Josh almost got to a ball he missed to score, but it went out of play (when they gave us the scrum feed as Josh was already out of play ?)

In the meantime, and circumstances with his experience, who would you go with at FB ?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Sarginson?

Sam is a more rounded player but much worse than he left because he is not a match winner and certainly not a marquee player.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

cpwigan wrote:Sarginson?

Sam is a more rounded player but much worse than he left because he is not a match winner and certainly not a marquee player.
But a 100% better defensive player.

Sarge has made a hell of a lot of mistakes at FB, an experiment that came and went ! What it proved, is that Sarge isn't a FB.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Hull are a very good team and we outscored them 3 tries to two.
A remarkable defensive effort.
I'd like to know how much possession Hull had in the first half.

I don't see the need to be so critical after all the players have put in that much effort to win the game.
Pink Warrior

Post by Pink Warrior »

I have seen some very very good players coming back from injury. In that process looking like Sam does now. They finally recovered and found form. Most of those great players (I class Sam in that catagory) had the luxury of coming back into the most dominant team in the sports history. I will keep faith and hope Sam regains fitness and confidence. He strikes me as the kind who will be feeling this more than us.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

100% :eh:

Better but still not amazing. He made his name and fortune on his attack. At the present time his attack is none existent 100% worse? So you have an incredibly well player player than currently cannot win a game or even make a break for a team, potentially lose games as he should have tonight.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Hull are a very good team and we outscored them 3 tries to two.
A remarkable defensive effort.
I'd like to know how much possession Hull had in the first half.

I don't see the need to be so critical after all the players have put in that much effort to win the game.
Win, lose or draw. You critically analyse EVERYTHING and ANYTHING to become better otherwise you go backwards. Pats on the back are for losers not winners.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Referee was fine.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

mickw wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Referee was fine.
that tells me all I need to know. Dear oh dear
Why, do tell us?

What mistakes did he make?