On Reflection

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kiwiseddon

On Reflection

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I write this, slightly fuzzy headed but with a sense of pride and achievement I've not felt for Wigan for a while. A couple of months ago I was seriously considering not renewing my season ticket as I was bored with our brand of rugby and like many others, wanted Wane out.
Well..... What a way to shut me up.
Since the Widnes game we have played some outstanding RL, scored tries and showed sheer grit and determination. It was only in the post match interviews last night that you realise just how badly our squad has been hit by injuries. With around half a million quid's worth of players on crutches and young lads stepping up, I really felt that we were up against it with a Warrington team full of class and experience. Again.... I was made to shut up.
I now want Wane to stay but with one caveat that has already been hinted upon. We do need a proper attacking coach to assist and leave the defence and team motivation to Wane. We must not rest on our laurels or we could face the kind of season that Leeds have this year.
All in all, a very strange season but when it mattered and against all the odds, we have done it and we are champions.
And that is all that really matters.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: On Reflection

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Spot on Kiwi, my emotions exactky!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Told my dad on the way home last night that Widnes match was the turning point. Ironically the worst loss I can remember maybe not in score line but in the performance, but was the best thing at the right time to happen.

Since then we never looked beaten even at Wire. Apart from the middle 20-30 min at Wire we were the better side. Even at home last seek down by 2 still felt we would win.

On reflection before the game I felt we did not really deserve to be in the final on overall season results. I know we finished 2nd but we never looked like doing anything. But In the Super 8's we actually deserved to be in the final.

Last few games we beat Hull home and away and we beat Wire twice and neither at the DW. We niled Saints and blew Catalan away early. whilst at times we have been shocking and be honest with yourself 2 months ago before the Super 8's I would have slapt you if you said we would have won the GF with the injuries we had and then Sam going down.

This is no way the best Wigan side the better sides of 2011 and 2012 were better to watch. But in the last month have we ever seen a group of players defend as they did and ground good sides down. Never seen such a fit group considering the age of some.

Alan Hansen said you will win nothing with kids. That season he was right Man UTD struggled until the stars returned and they allowed the young players to be benched and be part of something special. Last night proved him wrong we won that with a lot of kids actually playing and winning under severe pressure. Gildart and Tierney were solid apart from the high ball but none of our players looked able to cope.

So many of the players got a lot of experience last night and stood up. Not one player let them down and that preparation goes down to Wane and his staff. I called for his head after the Widnes game.

I think with the injuries he might deserve another chance
:D

To cope with what we have this season injuries, stuff outside the game Wane and the players should feel very proud of what they have achieved.

I got this wrong big style never been so happy to be wrong.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not my cup of team but he Wane deserves credit for the team spirit/attitude. I also think we are the fittest team in SL which is down to Bitcom and co.

An amazing day but it is important to not forget how POOP 80% + of the season was and more worryingly largely thje same for nearly ever SL club which is concerning.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Last night had we cut out the penalties and unforced errors and it could have been a one horse race.
We looked much stronger, fitter and I dare say hungrier than Warrington.
One simple gesture by the club to allow the players families to hand them their match day shirts, including flying Willie Isa's family over from New Zealand to achieve this.
I'm telling no lies here in that I said to my Mrs before the match that this simple gesture could be six points on the score sheet, and seeing Willie with his head on The Old Trafford turf in tears, just lets you know what this means.
Every single player left every drop of energy on that pitch last night and I'm so bl004y proud of them.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Totally agree with 99% of that PM. Family is huge. FPN wife loves it here so that is huge for a player knowing his family are happy. Family & shirts is another 1% worth buckets.

I am not sure though re Wire. The failed bomb defusion was obviously a big isue. the mistakes from trying to play and not die wondering was fine. The key was keeping Wire in a grind and the longer we did that the more they lose it. 1st half was there's but I think they lose composure under pressure and start making mistakes. It is hard to conmfortably beat Wire for 80 mins but if you do not let them relax the tide turns and Wire hate playing Wigan because we keep the pressure on for the full 80.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

mickw wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Not my cup of team but he Wane deserves credit for the team spirit/attitude. I also think we are the fittest team in SL which is down to Bitcom and co.

An amazing day but it is important to not forget how POOP 80% + of the season was and more worryingly largely thje same for nearly ever SL club which is concerning.
I think that's partly due to the format of the comp, you don't have to be in form till the last six weeks, we have timed it perfectly this year. saints tried to do the same but weren't good enough to do it.
I agree with you over the comp,the league leaders shield has to be made relevant because you can only fool people for so long,the RFL have to put a format together that gives entertainment throughout the season.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

mickw wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Not my cup of team but he Wane deserves credit for the team spirit/attitude. I also think we are the fittest team in SL which is down to Bitcom and co.

I think that's partly due to the format of the comp, you don't have to be in form till the last six weeks, we have timed it perfectly this year. saints tried to do the same but weren't good enough to do it.
Bilko is a +100
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

You will have to explain why a supporter is mentioned and why.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

It has indeed been a funny old season, but at its conclusion it seems the positives outweigh the negatives by a fair margin.

There are 3 competitions, and 3 different clubs winning. That is very healthy for the game. With lots of carping about the new league structure, I think it's good. Delighted to see Leigh up, but of course at the price of Hull KR going down. Sorry for them, but you can't have a winner without a loser.

I felt the same on Saturday. As a true Wiganer I was quite hoarse leaving Old Trafford, but did feel a certain sympathy for the Wire. Yes, they won the LLS, but it doesn't seem to carry the kudos it should. That IMO is a mistake, and it should be given much greater credit - it's probably the hardest trophy to win of them all.

But, with a busted squad and all sorts of issues, we came away with silverware for the first time in 3 years. For that I take my hat off to the team and the club. Well done everyone.

I will most definitely be renewing my ticket next season.
Stevethegas