Home games stay on Fridays

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Home games stay on Fridays

Post by GeoffN »

http://www.wiganonline.co.uk/ViewArticl ... ID=1218736

Don't mind that so much...it's the Friday Yorkshire games that are a pain - can't easily get to the Far East in time after work!

I know the same applies to away fans getting here, but as the club says, you can't argue with the figures, which show such a massive attendance increase, even in such a poor season for us.
Nine

Re: Home games stay on Fridays

Post by Nine »

I was one who wanted it to stay at Sunday afternoons, but I'm big enough to admit that the club was right and I was wrong. The crowd figures speak for themselves, and even though we'll never know if they'd be even higher playing on Sunday afternoons that isn't practical in these days of Sky money paying for live game on Fridays and Saturdays.

You'd have too many rearranged matches if we tried to have Sundays because as a top team we get picked for live games quite often and Saturdays are out as a regular day because when the seasons overlap that is soccer's main day.

Truth to tell, it's nice to feel the working week has really finished and the weekend started with a good night of rugby at the JJB - and you still have the rest of a summer's weekend to do other stuff in.
Squad number 18!
DaveO

Re: Home games stay on Fri...

Post by DaveO »

Nine posted:
I was one who wanted it to stay at Sunday afternoons, but I'm big enough to admit that the club was right and I was wrong. The crowd figures speak for themselves, and even though we'll never know if they'd be even higher playing on Sunday afternoons that isn't practical in these days of Sky money paying for live game on Fridays and Saturdays.

You'd have too many rearranged matches if we tried to have Sundays because as a top team we get picked for live games quite often and Saturdays are out as a regular day because when the seasons overlap that is soccer's main day.

Truth to tell, it's nice to feel the working week has really finished and the weekend started with a good night of rugby at the JJB - and you still have the rest of a summer's weekend to do other stuff in.
All good points. I am in two minds. For me Friday's are great as I am half way to Wigan from where I live. I come ffom work in Daresbury, pick my Dad up in Hindley and its an easy journey.

The snag is my 11 year old son. Not only would I have to get back to Chester then all the way to Wigan through the rush hour to pick my Dad up but since my son moved up from Cubs to Scouts his nights for Scouts is now Friday night!

When we had a few games on Sunday two seasons ago I wa sable to take him to those. He hasn't been able to make many this year at all.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I like Friday home matches but I must confess I do not enjoy travelling away on Fridays
willie c

Post by willie c »

we travel from cumbria so sunday afternoons would be better for us but maybe not for others
here mate is that tackle seven your jokeing my head marra
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

fridays suit me as flights are cheaper and it doesn,t clash with football though it does mean booking a day off work
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

I like Friday games. It's a nice way to end my week at college, especially if I'm off out after. :D

July 9th vs. Warrington on a Saturday... really enjoyed that Saturday game! :D
botica

Post by botica »

Nine posted:
I was one who wanted it to stay at Sunday afternoons, but I'm big enough to admit that the club was right and I was wrong. .
Me too at first, but once the rugby season changed to "summer" Sunday afternoons are quite full with other family things. Winter time was great on a sunday, this is what i call having your cake and eating it. Not often that i can make a sunday afternoon game now.
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
redhead

Post by redhead »

Home games are away for me anyway as I live in yorkshire so not too bad when at bulls and rhinos and pretty happy the tigers are back another closer venue for me. Friday nights seem to set the weekend up for me and a great atmosphere.
the little walnut
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Yay! Love Friday night games, best atmosphere in my opinion. Don't like Sat because of the starting time, means I've got to power walk from Wigan and Sunday games just conjure up images of tiny crowds and boring atmospheres. Friday nights make me think of dark rainy nights heading towards the GF time of year. Why am I writing an English essay
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!