Defence

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
bill.inger

Re: Defence

Post by bill.inger »

Wife and I are in Mexico and we listened to the game on Wish. Absolutely brilliant result. Game over at mid day here so went for a couple to celebrate the win, lie down on the beach,few more and a superb meal, few more and back in the hotel. End of a brilliant day, best feeling I've had since May 1989.
Still on a high, thanks a million Sean and the team and a special mention to Wish FM......God it's damned hot here!!!!.

Been reading a thread on Redvee re this game. There are some sour folk in Tellins, one was hoping half the team got broken bones, what sort of mentality is that?
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

To my mind when Joel came on at 13 the team and the game got quicker. The one player who wasn't as good as we needed I am afraid was SOL. Too old and slow and whilst his head might still be quick the time he was on the pitch wasn't good enough and as he slows down his penalty count goes up.
Has to be used very sparingly this season.

Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

ian.birchall wrote:To my mind when Joel came on at 13 the team and the game got quicker. The one player who wasn't as good as we needed I am afraid was SOL. Too old and slow and whilst his head might still be quick the time he was on the pitch wasn't good enough and as he slows down his penalty count goes up.
Has to be used very sparingly this season.

His defence was still very impressive though and when he came on towards the end it helped steady the ship, but I agree that he will be rotated a lot this season, and used more sparingly - but I think his leadership will still be important.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Tackle of the month.How do you pick one out of that lot yesterday? Easy. Morgan Escare.That was one very big man he stopped .I had my doubts but not now,and his kicking was excellent too.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

jao711 wrote:Tackle of the month.How do you pick one out of that lot yesterday? Easy. Morgan Escare.That was one very big man he stopped .I had my doubts but not now,and his kicking was excellent too.
Escare looked a good player yesterday. I agree tackle of the day stopped him on the spot.

As for defence the most intelligent defender in the side is Gelling makes very good judgement and hardly misses a tackle. Irony never thought I would use intelligent and Gelling in the same sentence. He was the same in the GF he is reading the game very well atm.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:It was

Classy interview from the cronulla boss - didn't know which way he'd go but very classy in his responses to the questions
I thought exactly the same WF, he gave full respect and plaudits to the Wigan team in their performance in a totally unbiased manner. No sour Grapes, just said it how he saw it.
Panchitta Marra

At the game I thought cronulla were the dirtiest team I've ever seen play rugby League and more so with the head shots in their tackles and leading with the elbow or forearm going forward.
My mentality hasn't changed on this since watching it on the box. Dam disgraceful very much of it with very little picked up by the officials. The hit that put Ollie on his haunches, plus elbow leads by Gallon could have finished players careers if they'd connected as they were intended.
Am I the only one that saw this?
Panchitta Marra

It was elbows and knees everywhere, the worst I've seen from any team to be honest TEW.
Gallon, the big no8, 16 were at it all match with arms coming over the top.
I'm sure if this had been SL opposition in a league game, they'd have had carded players.
Some of it was just blatant thuggery for me and I'm just pleased we appear to be carrying no injuries over from this game.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Again it's testament to the Wigan players that they came through the dirty play, met fire with fire (but within the rules unlike Cronulla), and out-muscled the opposition.

A lot of the side certainly punch above their weight.

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Our defence looked awesome on Sunday. Cronulla couldn't handle it, we got under their skin and they didn't like it.