Widnes match off

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Widnes match off

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

thegimble wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
sheepdip wrote:Makes you wonder how the hell Leneghan was able to become a successful businessman.
I know, I mean we have had no success under his tenure......oh wait!!
TBW please do not patronise people. I got a telling off for it.

Amazing we win 3 GF 2 CC 1 WCC we get 1 game a season moved and its get rid of IL or how did he become a success. You could not make this up.

Its not good what has be done re the Widnes game but before IL came on the scene we were trophless for a few years. And not a GF win in a decade almost.
You couldn't make it up!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
markill

Post by markill »

josie andrews wrote:Why are latics reserves allowed to play their fixtures at the DW???

That is really out of order IMO!! ????
I didn't know they did. No wonder they pitch is in such a state by the time we're back each February if that's the case.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
markill

Post by markill »

No straw damn us wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Why are latics reserves allowed to play their fixtures at the DW???

They don't. They did play one game at U17/U18 level v Southampton in a cup match in January though (I was at Rigalettos that night) as they were the rules for that cup comp.

We were better off when Latics were in the Premiership. They only played 19 home League games (23 now) and entered the cup competitions at a later stage. Also they got a lot more money from broadcasting rights which made pitch maintenance better. If they go down with no parachute payments left it will leave a big hole to fill and there will be less money to maintain the stadium.
What if they went out of the league altogether? Then would they be able to afford to run the stadium themselves? We take over. Become the 'preferred tenants' in any of this nonsense and they're back in their box! haha.

Seriously though, You're right about the pitch stuff re. what league they're in.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

The fact I don't live in Wigan doesn't give me a reason to dislike the football team, however a good chunk of them hang their star on the plastic scousers, so that's good enough for me! :D
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

No straw damn us wrote:

They don't. They did play one game at U17/U18 level v Southampton in a cup match in January though (I was at Rigalettos that night) as they were the rules for that cup comp.

We were better off when Latics were in the Premiership. They only played 19 home League games (23 now) and entered the cup competitions at a later stage. Also they got a lot more money from broadcasting rights which made pitch maintenance better. If they go down with no parachute payments left it will leave a big hole to fill and there will be less money to maintain the stadium.
The contract between the two parties would make interesting reading. If I remember rightly, we are tied in for a significant number of years, (50?), so we do not have the option of walking away and building our own stadium, (even if we could), without the possibility of incurring penalties. Does the contract state that football takes precedent no matter which division Latics are in? If that is the case then IFL cannot be blamed. Should Whelan be maintaining the pitch to a required standard? If so, then compensation should be payable to IFL. Save for the pitch issues, is it a good arrangement for IFL? Undoubtedly yes given that only a small percentage of our gate money is paid over.

Should the fans be compensated following this fiasco? Dead right they should.

One thing is for sure, the RFL and Football League need to get their heads together to sort out the fixture problem.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:

The contract between the two parties would make interesting reading. If I remember rightly, we are tied in for a significant number of years, (50?), so we do not have the option of walking away and building our own stadium, (even if we could), without the possibility of incurring penalties. Does the contract state that football takes precedent no matter which division Latics are in? If that is the case then IFL cannot be blamed. Should Whelan be maintaining the pitch to a required standard? If so, then compensation should be payable to IFL. Save for the pitch issues, is it a good arrangement for IFL? Undoubtedly yes given that only a small percentage of our gate money is paid over.

One thing is for sure, the RFL and Football League need to get their heads together to sort out the fixture problem.
Spot on
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

thegimble wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
No straw damn us wrote: They don't. They did play one game at U17/U18 level v Southampton in a cup match in January though (I was at Rigalettos that night) as they were the rules for that cup comp.

Spot on
Why should the rfl and football league get together. The issue is between Wigan Warriors and Wigan Athletic.
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Correct, it's nobodies problem outside the DW.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

sheepdip wrote:
thegimble wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: The contract between the two parties would make interesting reading. If I remember rightly, we are tied in for a significant number of years, (50?), so we do not have the option of walking away and building our own stadium, (even if we could), without the possibility of incurring penalties. Does the contract state that football takes precedent no matter which division Latics are in? If that is the case then IFL cannot be blamed. Should Whelan be maintaining the pitch to a required standard? If so, then compensation should be payable to IFL. Save for the pitch issues, is it a good arrangement for IFL? Undoubtedly yes given that only a small percentage of our gate money is paid over.

Spot on
Why should the rfl and football league get together. The issue is between Wigan Warriors and Wigan Athletic.
Issue is not getting resolved between both clubs sadly. Seems IL will bow when asked to or forced to.
doc

Post by doc »

So it looks like most of the income coming in from the WCC will go towards compensating Widnes and a potential fine from the RFL, along with a possible points deduction. I hope that we will be getting our losses met by compensation from the Latics but I won't hold my breath.

It will be interesting to see if this is one of the dates given by the Wigan to the RFL when they did not want a home fixture. If so then they might try to use this as a get out during the RFL inquiry in order to minimise any punishment.

A points deduction would be a kick in the teeth for the players after working hard for a victory following the WCC but it might teach IL a lesson.