Robin Park Arena

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warriors01

Robin Park Arena

Post by warriors01 »

Could this be redeveloped into our new home as the reserves seem to be using it for their home games?
Robbie McCormack's Hair

Re: Robin Park Arena

Post by Robbie McCormack's Hair »

I was having this exact conversation at the match yesterday. It seems as though the space is probably there, and parking/transport would be ideal. does anyone know if the facility is enshrined in its usage in any way? That is to say that it must be used for athletics for a certain period of time?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

warriors01 wrote:Could this be redeveloped into our new home as the reserves seem to be using it for their home games?
We have a long term contract at the DW!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
warriors01 wrote:Could this be redeveloped into our new home as the reserves seem to be using it for their home games?
I can see the Robin Park Arena being home for Wigan as a training centre, and the venue for Wigans academy and scholarship games. Orrell is a prime development site for housing, particularly with the government's desire for building. IL has always wanted somewhere to build a Rugby League museum in Wigan and Robin Park Arena would be ideal. There is room under the stand to incorporate a bar and maybe function room(s) plus they have in indoor sprint track. With a bit of development it could be an excellent training centre and the money from the sale of Orrell would probably provide the funding.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

No straw damn us wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
I can see the Robin Park Arena being home for Wigan as a training centre, and the venue for Wigans academy and scholarship games. Orrell is a prime development site for housing, particularly with the government's desire for building. IL has always wanted somewhere to build a Rugby League museum in Wigan and Robin Park Arena would be ideal. There is room under the stand to incorporate a bar and maybe function room(s) plus they have in indoor sprint track. With a bit of development it could be an excellent training centre and the money from the sale of Orrell would probably provide the funding.
I agree with that.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

This has been discussed in the Rumour Mill for the last few weeks.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
doc

Post by doc »

Robbie McCormack's Hair wrote:I was having this exact conversation at the match yesterday. It seems as though the space is probably there, and parking/transport would be ideal. does anyone know if the facility is enshrined in its usage in any way? That is to say that it must be used for athletics for a certain period of time?

There is nowhere near enough space. The current stand would have to be knocked down and rebuilt taking up some of the car park space. Behind one goal and the far touchline the only land available to develop stands is car parking space for the DW and I cant see Whelan letting us have that on the cheap if he is going to lose our rent money. Behind the other goal are several all weather pitches. I also think that the track between the stand and the pitch means you are too far away from the action. Personally I can't see Robin Park being used for anything other than a training ground and for academy matches. There will also be a conflict with athletics due to both being summer sports.

Total none starter in my opinion. There is more scope for building at the Central Park complex but can see the council objecting due to the potential of traffic congestion on the edge of a residential area.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

First time at the arena for me yesterday far to far away from me from the action.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Why all the fuss about Robin Park Arena? It would only be suitable to replace Orrell,and what about the gym etc,and parking facilities.There's a lot more to it than you would imagine.This would of course ,if Wigan MBC would sell it which is doubtful as other people use it.It is a municipal stadium after all. I would also doubt us being able to build a 15-20,000 seat stadium on that site.Also the cost of building is a lot higher than the value of a piece of building land.
Peet_1987

Post by Peet_1987 »

I hope this happens as we all know that the little FA cup heros of Wigan have had their time in the sun and need to stand on their own to keep as they put it 'Our Ground' going