Wigan v Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cow yeds

Re: Wigan v Saints

Post by cow yeds »

Saints just ran out of stream in their defensive effort enabling us to have a better lookng score line. But lets not be fooled, we look like an average side to me, without Williams & Escare we would be struggling. Saw nothing today to excite me.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

cow yeds wrote:Saints just ran out of stream in their defensive effort enabling us to have a better lookng score line. But lets not be fooled, we look like an average side to me, without Williams & Escare we would be struggling. Saw nothing today to excite me.
I got pretty excited by Marshall's try in the corner, and by McIlorum's return.

But I know what you mean. The match was about winning, stopping the run of dropped points, and that was the order of the day. Still had quite a few players far from 100%, so the performance was laboured. When O'Loughlin isn't on the pitch we seem to lack direction. Maybe something Tomkins will bring to the side if he plays in the halves?
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

fozzieskem wrote:Ohh that was hard work that one,but confidence bound to have been hit a little bit following the 3 defeats,can't help but feel young Davies needs a game off for rest he didnt look anywhere near his best today.
In his defence, he rarely got a sniff of the ball, especially in the second half. Gelling wasn't anywhere near 100%, and the ball didn't come down the right side very often.

Let's hope Gelling is back to 100% soon, and will also be a lie stronger when Gildart is back.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

yokozuna wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:Ohh that was hard work that one,but confidence bound to have been hit a little bit following the 3 defeats,can't help but feel young Davies needs a game off for rest he didnt look anywhere near his best today.
In his defence, he rarely got a sniff of the ball, especially in the second half. Gelling wasn't anywhere near 100%, and the ball didn't come down the right side very often.

Let's hope Gelling is back to 100% soon, and will also be a lie stronger when Gildart is back.
Don't misunderstand me I'm not having a go at the lad,he's done well but now Budgies back time to rotate them me thinks.

And yes I'm not sure why Gelling was out there he just didn't loook fit at all.

yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Yeah it's tough for the young lads to come in and shine with all the changes and injury problems. I'm sure Wane is hoping he doesn't have to use them week in and week out, and that he can develop them more comfortably over time.

I think Forsyth has been unfairly criticised by some. He wasn't perfect when he played, but was coming in to a very unfamiliar looking side that was understandably under-performing
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Bit of a struggle sometimes but it was quite a professional display because when we conceded a try we looked to score one ourselves straightaway.
Thought MM was seriously good and I'd have him as first choice when he's fully match-fit. I'm not a great fan of Tautai but he was outstanding yesterday - probably his best match. Our right side is a major problem though. Davies is a touch too slight to be a serious defender and Gelling just jumps out of the line at every opportunity and misses tackles. Might be an idea to put Isa in Gelling's slot or when JB is fit, move Joel back to give some solidity in defence. Marshall to right wing maybe? We need to keep him at the club - there's real talent there.
Best thing was the determination not to give away penalties - that was very pleasing. As for the red card - it looked red to me in real time and it was so reckless as to warrant one probably.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:Well we won and got a much needed two points but made hard work of it against 12 men.

Understandable to a degree with so many returning and lacking match fitness. Even so out attack was back to it's old poor self in the first half. Camped on the Saints line and could not score. It seems very flat to me and we give ourselves no space with no one running onto the ball from deeper so the defense just has to slide properly and we are no trouble.

Better in the second half and I thought Williams kick behind the defense for Budgies second try was class. Marshall finish for the fourth try was also great to watch. He is a talented young player and is going to give Wane a selection headache I think.

The returnees did well I felt. Budgie looked sharp, MM showed no signs of being affected by his injury. Lockers was fine.

Gelling did not look fit though and was wisely subbed.

While Wane will have his eye on Wakefield and he will have wanted to not over-play those returning the Gelling sub apart the substitutions all seemed pretty random to me. I think we even brought Isa on for a prop at point point with Lockers in the front row. I don't think all this helped the attack or shape of the team much either.

Still we beat Saints on Good Friday after suffering a long stretch of bad luck with injuries so I will take the two points and crack open a few cans tonight to celebrate. :eusa2:
Is Budgie a centre Dave O, I think that was a weakness yesterday, as he isn't the best passer of a ball, so other options had to be provided for him like the deft kick from George. That kick could possibly have been just as effective with Budgie on the wing.
I watched St Helens attack with makinson in the line, and he can pass the ball and the line speed looked much quicker than ours.
I agree with what you say about our attack in the first half, we looked like we were lacking ideas again, but yet I remember Wane saying he wanted to keep it simple considering the wet conditions.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cow yeds wrote:Saints just ran out of stream in their defensive effort enabling us to have a better lookng score line. But lets not be fooled, we look like an average side to me, without Williams & Escare we would be struggling. Saw nothing today to excite me.
Spoken by a true Wigan fan!! :lol:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

We were a bit reminiscent of last season when we seemed short of attacking ideas but I thought that it was more because of our lack of players than anything else. Keeping it simple was probably a better option. When play was more open, Saints sliced through us with some ease.
Although Budgie's not a natural centre, that defence with Budgie & Marshall backed up by Faz and George looked far more solid than the right or middle of the park.
Just a case of SW using what was at his disposal and I thought it was the best that we could put together - wouldn't criticise the coach on that score.
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

cherry.pie wrote:http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/6838
KYLE Amor has been charged with a Grade B offence following our game with Wigan on Friday.

He is charged with a High Tackle - Careless - initial contact with ball/chest and could receive a one to two match suspension.

He has an EGP available. If he exercises that option he would a receive a one match ban.
So Amor has been charged. Never seen it happen before for a tackle that hits the chest first but since the wording is 'careless - initial contact with the ball/chest' it seems the disciplinary have changed their interpretations. With growing evidence of the serious risks of concussions that can only be a good thing!
Sending off sufficient IMO
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise