General election

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Wandering Warrior

Re: General election

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I've never voted owt but Labour and our MP is the reason May was in Bolton whipping up the troops.
He's just been knighted and I'll be interested to see if his election leaflets will be plain David Crausby or Sir David Crausby.
If it's the latter I may give him a miss this time.
I was well impressed when two of my favourite musicians in the past turned down honours, Hank Marvin and David Bowie.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I mentioned a good while back now on one of the threads on politics that existed, one other thing Labour are missing since the Tony Blair era is the Alastair Campbell. He was a big part of the brains in that government and the "unity" of their approach. Its another reason Corbyn is struggling because the party itself isnt towing the the line and there appears to be no-one in place making them
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wandering Warrior

Corbyn does actually come out with some sense but unfortunately he's no where near marketable and reminds me of Michael Foot.
Spitting image would have a field day with him if it was still on the telly.
What people don't realise or see with May is how she always gets personal with opposition leaders.
I think that Sturgeon is going to rip her a new rsole when the opportunity arises ie. Scottish independence.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Corbyn does actually come out with some sense but unfortunately he's no where near marketable and reminds me of Michael Foot.
Spitting image would have a field day with him if it was still on the telly.
What people don't realise or see with May is how she always gets personal with opposition leaders.
I think that Sturgeon is going to rip her a new rsole when the opportunity arises ie. Scottish independence.
Problem is if May wins big and Brexit hits the UK badly then Scotland by 2022 could be set to go it alone. Point missed by Cameron when he came out after the last Scottish referendum and went back on his pledge. 5% swing is nothing in politics.

Only way Scotland does not leave the UK is if they do not go into a recession after Brexit and some serious pledges will have to be made to the Scottish people.

As you say Sturgeon is waiting like a snake lying in wait for the moment Scotland hits recession. Once that happens regardless if its Brexit or not she will make gains out of it. If its a hard Brexit as seems more likely now than last week then May will play into Sturgeons hands. If we stay out of Recession then all Sturgeon will do is wait like a snake and pounce when she has the chance.

Its a risk for May to call the election now due to possibility of a hard Brexit and if that happens we will go into a recession. Whilst it might not last long it could last long enough for Scotland to up sticks and leave. I actually agree with he calling the election if only to remove Corbyn. Also so that we can get Brexit done asap so we all can see what the future can be.

My guess is that Scotland by 2022 will not be in the UK if we have a hard Brexit. But time will tell.

Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

Aye there won't be a UK in 2022. Scotland will be gone and Ireland will be re-united.
Wandering Warrior

Interesting that VAT and various other tax increase could occur under the future Tory government. Less we do get the Tories are the VAT kings!
At least they can't claim the usual claims Labour will raise taxes, not that it will now matter!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

So even the Tories seem to be saying tax rises are incoming,I mean of course they'll deny that over the next week or so of course,but as sure as eggs is eggs we the poor,the working and lower middle classes are going to have to foot the bill both for the financial crash and the folly of leaving the EU.

Happy days.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Interesting that VAT and various other tax increase could occur under the future Tory government. Less we do get the Tories are the VAT kings!
At least they can't claim the usual claims Labour will raise taxes, not that it will now matter!
WW, you have obviously forgotten that VAT was first imposed back in the early 70's as a result of us joining the EU in the first place.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wandering Warrior wrote:I've never voted owt but Labour and our MP is the reason May was in Bolton whipping up the troops.
He's just been knighted and I'll be interested to see if his election leaflets will be plain David Crausby or Sir David Crausby.
I was well impressed when two of my favourite musicians in the past turned down honours, Hank Marvin and David Bowie.
That's another well thought out reason for your vote WW
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

ian.birchall wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:I've never voted owt but Labour and our MP is the reason May was in Bolton whipping up the troops.
That's another well thought out reason for your vote WW
Tee Hee Hee :eusa4:
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise