Re: Tonights Game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Tierney must have been pencilled in for MoM until last few minutes.

Overall, I thought our effort and commitment, esp in defence, were great. FPN had a decent game but let down by very poor mistake coming out from defending 4 sets on our line. Williams is not at his best for some reason, but will come good.

Saints got out of jail and they'll know it. We have more improvement in us than they do. Keep the faith!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
warriorwilliams

Post by warriorwilliams »

Frustrating result tonight, however I walked away proud to be a Warriors fan.

I thought we, the fans, were excellent. I thought McIlorum and Lockers led by example and showed the younger lads what representing Wigan in the derby is all about. Our effort, commitment and aggression was much better than previous weeks but errors cost us, we deserved more from the game IMO.

Onwards and upwards, 2 very winnable games coming up and key players returning.
Seinfeld79

Post by Seinfeld79 »

Perhaps we should ask Billy Slater to be our 3rd choice full back given his origin snub.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

acwrlfc wrote:Finally we need more a hell of a lot more from Williams in attack.
Or maybe a bit less? Tonight he reminded me of watching James Tedesco the other night for the Wests Tigers; his team was well behind in that case, but he was trying to win the game single-handedly. And probably nobody in world rugby has better footwork than James Tedesco. And even he couldn't do it.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Williams has been poor for a while.
I think his decision making has been poor of late. Some bad kicking and takes the line on at the wrong times
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

So by reading the majority of the previous posts it is only myself and one other that actually enjoyed the game? Although we lost I thought it was one hell of a good game!!!! End to end, full blooded tackles, a bit of biff, some lovely tries and a superb atmosphere!! Yes I agree with others that we should have taken the penalty kicks that were virtually in front of the posts and that stinks of disrespect, but other than that gripe I came away from last night thoroughly entertained.

Matt
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

adiddy wrote:So by reading the majority of the previous posts it is only myself and one other that actually enjoyed the game? Although we lost I thought it was one hell of a good game!!!! End to end, full blooded tackles, a bit of biff, some lovely tries and a superb atmosphere!! Yes I agree with others that we should have taken the penalty kicks that were virtually in front of the posts and that stinks of disrespect, but other than that gripe I came away from last night thoroughly entertained.

Matt
I thought it was more Arrogance on Wanes behalf
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
yonmon

Post by yonmon »

Cracking entertainment but shame about the result.Fifty fifty tight game against a near full strength st helens away,more good game time for the youngsters so there are positives if you look.
We are not firing on all four cylinders but we are getting there,it's the ups and downs of sport.
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Still gutted we lost. Like everyone else cannot understand why we keep turning easy penalties down especially as we dont have a reliable goalkicker. Our attack is woeful especially in our opponents 25 and has been for the last 3 years. Its obvious wane is clueless when it comes to attack. You pay marquee players the money to step up and win you tight games Williams hasnt come close in the last 2 matches, in fact, he is one of the reasons why our attack is so poor, he is always cutting back inside. We did not lose because of injuries last night we lost because we cannot see a match out as was the case against Warrington. Top 4 no chance best bet Wembley.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I thought the game was exciting i think we are still lacking direction on the pitch

We were better IMO when TL was running the show in the first half, probably the best 40mins ive seen from him in a 7 capacity. When George took more influence in the 2nd half we seemed to lose our way.

Thats not a pop at GW, but he is a maverick player and sometimes we need that sometimes we dont, him picking where and when to uses his talents will be the difference between him being a good player and a top draw world class player, at the moment hes a bit hit and miss on picking when to chime in.

What showed lack of direction more than anything to me was when the scores were level and we needed a drop goal yet none of the players seemed to know how to set up for it and it made Tommys DG much harder than it needed to be.

We have no on the field go to man, lockers is the leader but we need one of the halves to be more dominant. For me Tommy has to take that role because he is experienced enough to play the odds, George is trying to score a try every time he gets the ball, we need someone to do the boring kick to touch frustrate the opposition thats why we are losing these "arm wrestle" type games.

we were unlucky to catch smith on one of his 3 good games he has a year too
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure