FPN....AGAIN!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Josie's friend

Re: FPN....AGAIN!

Post by Josie's friend »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Somebody has changed his style of play from his NRL days :conf:
IMO this is the answer to his form this season, Wane likes small props who don't perform like a quality prop should. He prefers to them sticking to defence and offering nothing in attack.
FPN, Clubb, Sutton & Tautai would shine under a different coach or at least different tactics
doc

Post by doc »

FPN knocked on twice, same as Bateman and Isa.

T, Powell and Lockers all knocked on once.

FPN didn't give away any penalties.

Sutton gave away 3 and Isa 1.

Much improved performance all round, albeit against a much under strength Leeds side.

FPN isn't flash and doesn't provide the blockbusting runs we were led to believe he would. He is though a steady forward and generally lands on his front and gets a quick play the ball. Maybe this is what Wane is asking him to provide as a starting prop rather than being an impact player.
5miler

Post by 5miler »

If I remember correctly Frank got his "wrecking ball" title for his defence not his attack,so maybe people are interpreting it incorrectly. I agree that he hits the floor rather quickly but then that might be to get a quick play the ball. Needs to get rid of his teflon hands as well. It has also been said his wife wants to go home,if true then that will be unsettling him which also detracts from his performances.
6742hitch

Post by 6742hitch »

That's a strange one I think...if we signed him for his achievements in the NRL why would someone want to change his playing style from the attributes that attracted us to him, might as well start with a blank canvas.

Either way, I was really looking forward to what he could possibly have brought in defence and especially attack, it just haven't seen it.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

A bit of reality.
FPN has the best average gain for any of the Wigan props. He hasn't missed a game all season, and has only conceded 10 penalties. He has also made more offloads than any of the other props.

However, he has missed more tackles and made more errors than most.

So it's a mixed bag, not as bad as many are making him out to be, but could do better.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I really wanted to like this guy but he's not lived up to the hype for me. I know stats don't lie but they aren't the whole picture! I want a hard running forward who's committing players and poking his nose through the line...frank paul hardly does this. Hes on his knees soon as he's in first contact. If I had legs like he's I could carry 4 players from orrell post to the DW and back in a tackle, sadly he doesn't and I reckon I've got more leg drive and mine look like 2 pieces of cotton!
pedro

Post by pedro »

No straw damn us wrote:A bit of reality.
FPN has the best average gain for any of the Wigan props. He hasn't missed a game all season, and has only conceded 10 penalties. He has also made more offloads than any of the other props.

However, he has missed more tackles and made more errors than most.

So it's a mixed bag, not as bad as many are making him out to be, but could do better.
all them stats are because he hasnt missed a game all year so done more minutes than any other forward.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

w.thomas wrote:I really wanted to like this guy but he's not lived up to the hype for me. I know stats don't lie but they aren't the whole picture! I want a hard running forward who's committing players and poking his nose through the line...frank paul hardly does this. Hes on his knees soon as he's in first contact. If I had legs like he's I could carry 4 players from orrell post to the DW and back in a tackle, sadly he doesn't and I reckon I've got more leg drive and mine look like 2 pieces of cotton!
He has had to adapt his game to suit our style of play. Whilst I am not one of his biggest fans, I do think that he is essential to our success this season therefore, unless injured I expect him to be selected by Waney for every game.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

End of the day, I'm sure we could find someone better than him (on Wigan form) for less wages.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
w.thomas wrote:I really wanted to like this guy but he's not lived up to the hype for me. I know stats don't lie but they aren't the whole picture! I want a hard running forward who's committing players and poking his nose through the line...frank paul hardly does this. Hes on his knees soon as he's in first contact. If I had legs like he's I could carry 4 players from orrell post to the DW and back in a tackle, sadly he doesn't and I reckon I've got more leg drive and mine look like 2 pieces of cotton!
He has had to adapt his game to suit our style of play. Whilst I am not one of his biggest fans, I do think that he is essential to our success this season therefore, unless injured I expect him to be selected by Waney for every game.
If i was as big as him i would be embarrassed if i wasnt the top prop at our club
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure