Get.Rid.Of.Wane

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Get.Rid.Of.Wane

Post by josie andrews »

Wandering Warrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Can posters please use "have" instead of "of"?

E.G. Should have not should of!

Thank you ????????
Correct Josie, shows a complete lack of knowledge of the English language.
The Brexit Jihadists should throw them off tall buildings! :lol:
????????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
curryman

Post by curryman »

In 2012 Shaun Wane took a team packed with kids to Leeds. Leeds were world champs at the time. Our kids thrashed them 50-8. It was probably the worst result that could have happened in some ways as it implanted this idea that we could win it with kids, which is now the mantra every season. We have stopped bringing in the marquee names needed to guide our kids to the very top level. EG in 2012 we had the likes of Finch and Carmont in the side, as well as Tommy, Mickey Mac and SOL five years younger and better than they are now.

Rather than develop those kids, we released most of them - Charnley, Goulding, Dudson, L Tomkins, Hughes - all have been allowed to leave, which has left us in the situation where we are constantly introducing new kids who are not really ready for the week on week grind of Super League. Consequently we have a team that are sometimes superb - Warrington away at the start of the season for example - and sometimes diabolical - Leigh away springs to mind.

When it comes to the question of whether Shaun should stay or go, I sit on the fence. His record is as good as anyone's, but a lot of the time the style is lacking. Wigan put in some dreadful performances under his tutelage. We win trophies and get to finals, but in terms of being a spectator sport, its often desperately dull fodder.

The thing is, though, who would you replace him with? I can think of two obvious names, both former players - Andy Farrell or Shaun Edwards. The trouble is, neither of those guys will come. They both moved over to the dark side and both seem comfortable to stay there.

Some say bring back Madge, but that policy really does not seem to work. Look at all of the players that have left and then returned, has any of them been as good the second time around as they were before they left? I think not. And we brought back a coach once before, our greatest ever coach (in terms of winning trophies) John Monie. The second time round we sacked him after a year. So bringing back doesn't work imho.

So who else is there?

Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

When the time is right Gismo will be back.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

As much as i likes madge i wouldn't have him back. Hes at souths and this so called messiah won a grand final but since then they have struggled and if they dont improve next season he will be sacked.
IN WANE WE TRUST
Warrior Gilfedder

Post by Warrior Gilfedder »

Wandering Warrior wrote:When the time is right Gismo will be back.
Sad to say i just can't see this happening, the longer he's away the more out of touch he becomes
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The next coach shouldnt be an ex-anything wigan based IMO

If you want change you need fresh blood
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Waney's going nowhere, he could do with an attacking asst coach.
Geoff Toovey would be my choice.
Toovey would sort out the halves and end of sets for us. He'd also make sure the backs and halves understand and play off each other.

eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Waney's going nowhere, he could do with an attacking asst coach.
Geoff Toovey would be my choice.
Toovey would sort out the halves and end of sets for us. He'd also make sure the backs and halves understand and play off each other.
Yes deffo needs a attacking coach.
IN WANE WE TRUST
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

DaveO wrote:
acwrlfc wrote:
One question for all the Wane fans, how many times this season has he said we were poor and not Wigan standard.
Tonights reaction from him?

"We lacked energy, some individuals' defensive errors really cost us and it wasn't a Wigan-like performance.

"There were too many defensive errors, and you can't do that when you come to a place like this.

"We were beaten by the better team in a very disappointing manner, and we've got seven days now to fix it."

It's stuck bloody record. The only thing that changes is how long we have to fix it, which gets less and less.
Don't forget "we were dumb with the ball"
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Wandering Warrior wrote:When the time is right Gismo will be back.

God forbid