Re: Lenagan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

morley pie eater wrote:
Fujiman wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:I've said it before that imo Lenagan is not a patch on our previous Directors.

Can you imagaine Hilton, Rathbone,Robinson,Lindsey or even Wheelan putting up with this shower?

Maybe time for a change at the very top?
When I see those names ( not including) Whelan) I see inovation and vision moving the club forward building on our heritage.I think Lenaghan is trying to do the same.
So which of these previous directors got the club in debt, leading to the sale of Central Park? £2 million for a new stand, £450,000 for Offish when crowds had peaked. Mmmm . . . None of them blameless, I'd say.

Now remind me again, what is it that IL has done?
He's being inovative and visionary whilst not making the mistakes of previous regimes.I think he is doing a good job and is getting unnecessary stick but it's just my opinion.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:I know it's par for the course with internet forums but to be honest I'm staggered by the overwhelming negativity, all stemming from a comment that our chairman 'would like to' play the New Zealand Warriors in London. Nothing has even been confirmed and yet people are complaining that he doesn't care about the fans.

It will be the same fans who moan when we announce a new kit sponsor and say 'is that the best we can do?'. The same fans who moan when we make signings that seem underwhelming because Super League struggles to attract the big names these days.

Some rugby league fans just aren't happy unless they're unhappy.

There's an obvious reason why Ian Lenagan is wanting to host games overseas, and games in the capital. It's for sponsorship. Rugby league struggles to attract enough investment and one of the main reasons is the parochial nature of the sport.

Sponsorship opportunities in the north of England are limited, that's why the business club was set up in London. The sport is still niche in this country, but it's a billion dollar industry in Australia, hence why we're trying to tap into that market.

The biggest sports have global appeal, the biggest sports franchises have global appeal.

The NFL now host matches in Wembley. Perhaps the fans of those teams are furious when they find there's a home match being held in a different continent that they can't go to watch, but there's a reason why the NFL do it. It brings in money. It brings in sponsors. In provides exposure.

Now it's always a risk that we might not gain much from our venture down under or, if it were to happen, a one off game against NZ Warriors in London, but bloody hell a forward thinking club needs to be trying these things! We know damn well that the RFL haven't got a clue what their strategy is to grow the sport, to bring in more money which the game desperately needs.

Our chairman is clearly chasing sponsorship opportunities that could increase the profile of both the club and the sport, make it more attractive to investors, give the game the global appeal that it lacks at the moment but could easily have with the right time and the right ideas.

Seriously, he's mentioned ONE GAME that he'd like played in London, and chances are it would be a pre-season game and most people don't turn up to those anyway! If it was a choice between a pre-season game away at Workington, that most fans could, but probably wouldn't, turn up to, or a game held in London attempting to sell the sport to those who might be willing to put some money into it, I'd rather have the latter.

As for the criticism of Lenagan regarding the performances this season, I don't think anyone should be immune from criticism, not even someone who I think has done and continues to do an excellent job in making the club sustainable, but I don't see a reason for him to comment. Performances haven't been great, admittedly, but we've got one trophy this year and are in the final for another. IF we were to win the challenge cup that satisfies the target set of winning one trophy per year (the WCC is more of a bonus). To be honest at the start of the year I'd have taken a cup win so I'm not feeling too disheartened, just a bit disappointed with the lack of entertainment on the field.

We've been in situations in the past where coaches have been sacked for being 3rd or 4th in the table. Thank god those days are gone. We've won numerous trophies since Lenagan came to the club and since Wane took charge. Of course Lenagan isn't going to sack Shaun Wane when we're in the final of the Challenge Cup and, somehow, still capable of reaching the top 4.

Coaches who win trophies will obviously be given more time to try to rectify problems and will be given patience. Look at Leeds. They went from champions to middle 8's and now they could easily become champions again. McDermott has had his critics for years, sometimes it's impossible to win people over, even with success, but I best most at Leeds are happy that the club stuck by him.

Lenagan will not make snap judgements, especially not when it's still mathematically possible (if very unlikely) for the club to win the double. If we were in Warrington's shoes, perhaps things would be looking a little less certain for our coach, but they aren't.

I'm not a Wane cheerleader. I'm sometimes critical and sometimes positive, but I just don't see how he the chairman could sack our coach in the current circumstances and have it seen as a sensible move. It would be a move from the Whelan/Lindsay era, and thankfully that's well behind us. If it means thinks happen a little slower, then that's fine by me as long as the club remains healthy on the field and continues to challenge for trophies.
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
Plus me ???? :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Seinfeld79

Post by Seinfeld79 »

That is a great post Cherry Pie!

I think at Wigan in my lifetime as a supporter we've been blessed with some great owners / directors. It is a shame that the Central Park era ended as it did. However I will never forget the memories from those years (accepting that it hasn't always been perfect).

I wonder how many fans would have moaned in advance of the Manly game had social media been around in 1987?

moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'll add to the applause for cherry.pie's well-considered post. :)
curryman

Post by curryman »

moto748 wrote:I'll add to the applause for cherry.pie's well-considered post. :)
seconded
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Yes a well thought out post. However the Hull game is my gripe!
It's an ego massage excercise imo, nothing else.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

cherry.pie wrote:I know it's par for the course with internet forums but to be honest I'm staggered by the overwhelming negativity, all stemming from a comment that our chairman 'would like to' play the New Zealand Warriors in London. Nothing has even been confirmed and yet people are complaining that he doesn't care about the fans.

It will be the same fans who moan when we announce a new kit sponsor and say 'is that the best we can do?'. The same fans who moan when we make signings that seem underwhelming because Super League struggles to attract the big names these days.

Some rugby league fans just aren't happy unless they're unhappy.

There's an obvious reason why Ian Lenagan is wanting to host games overseas, and games in the capital. It's for sponsorship. Rugby league struggles to attract enough investment and one of the main reasons is the parochial nature of the sport.

Sponsorship opportunities in the north of England are limited, that's why the business club was set up in London. The sport is still niche in this country, but it's a billion dollar industry in Australia, hence why we're trying to tap into that market.

The biggest sports have global appeal, the biggest sports franchises have global appeal.

The NFL now host matches in Wembley. Perhaps the fans of those teams are furious when they find there's a home match being held in a different continent that they can't go to watch, but there's a reason why the NFL do it. It brings in money. It brings in sponsors. In provides exposure.

Now it's always a risk that we might not gain much from our venture down under or, if it were to happen, a one off game against NZ Warriors in London, but bloody hell a forward thinking club needs to be trying these things! We know damn well that the RFL haven't got a clue what their strategy is to grow the sport, to bring in more money which the game desperately needs.

Our chairman is clearly chasing sponsorship opportunities that could increase the profile of both the club and the sport, make it more attractive to investors, give the game the global appeal that it lacks at the moment but could easily have with the right time and the right ideas.

Seriously, he's mentioned ONE GAME that he'd like played in London, and chances are it would be a pre-season game and most people don't turn up to those anyway! If it was a choice between a pre-season game away at Workington, that most fans could, but probably wouldn't, turn up to, or a game held in London attempting to sell the sport to those who might be willing to put some money into it, I'd rather have the latter.

As for the criticism of Lenagan regarding the performances this season, I don't think anyone should be immune from criticism, not even someone who I think has done and continues to do an excellent job in making the club sustainable, but I don't see a reason for him to comment. Performances haven't been great, admittedly, but we've got one trophy this year and are in the final for another. IF we were to win the challenge cup that satisfies the target set of winning one trophy per year (the WCC is more of a bonus). To be honest at the start of the year I'd have taken a cup win so I'm not feeling too disheartened, just a bit disappointed with the lack of entertainment on the field.

We've been in situations in the past where coaches have been sacked for being 3rd or 4th in the table. Thank god those days are gone. We've won numerous trophies since Lenagan came to the club and since Wane took charge. Of course Lenagan isn't going to sack Shaun Wane when we're in the final of the Challenge Cup and, somehow, still capable of reaching the top 4.

Coaches who win trophies will obviously be given more time to try to rectify problems and will be given patience. Look at Leeds. They went from champions to middle 8's and now they could easily become champions again. McDermott has had his critics for years, sometimes it's impossible to win people over, even with success, but I bet most at Leeds are happy that the club stuck by him.

Lenagan will not make snap judgements, especially not when it's still mathematically possible (if very unlikely) for the club to win the double. If we were in Warrington's shoes, perhaps things would be looking a little less certain for our coach, but they aren't.

I'm not a Wane cheerleader. I'm sometimes critical and sometimes positive, but I just don't see how he the chairman could sack our coach in the current circumstances and have it seen as a sensible move. It would be a move from the Whelan/Lindsay era, and thankfully that's well behind us. If it means things happen a little slower, then that's fine by me as long as the club remains healthy on the field and continues to challenge for trophies.
I agree with some of what you say, however, to keep it manageable, let's focus on the highlighted line.

What happens a little slower? Are you honestly happy with our performances this year? Can you tell me where the improvement is going to come from? Can you see the signs?

Because I can't.

I say again, the standard in SL has gone backwards at an alarming rate in the last few years and we STILL cannot compete.

wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Never read so much twaddle in my life

History will dictate how fans see Lenagan's tenureship of the club, Not someone who thinks the sun shines out his arse right now because, well, he is better than Whelan ffs :roll:

At the time, Robinson/Hilton/Lindsay/Rathbone were considered the best/most innovative chairmen in the club's history. Of course the club went wrong and poor decisions made.

How can anyone say what is going on with Mr Lenagan right now is the right or the wrong way until history looks back and says either "what a tit" or "what a visionary"?

I have learnt in life that if it looks wrong, sounds wrong and smells wrong then it probably is wrong. Some people will wear their cherry and white with pride even if they were selling deck chairs on the Titanic
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote: There's an obvious reason why Ian Lenagan is wanting to host games overseas, and games in the capital. It's for sponsorship. Rugby league struggles to attract enough investment and one of the main reasons is the parochial nature of the sport.

So lets get this straight. The North of England, which has a population double that of NSW is a sponsorship desert?

The RFL have certainly sold RL short on the commercial front but it is the NRL, not individual clubs that have made RL in OZ the commercial success it is. The NRL themselves are very parochial putting State of Origin above all else for example. It's not being parochial that is the issue. Its a failure to attract local sponsors. Why isn't IL being taken to task for not getting a top domestic sponsor? It's no use saying TL is parochial. There are big North West based companies. I think his search outside of the region is a mark of failure, not opportunism.

What evidence is there that are is any market Wigan can tap into iin Oz? The sponsorship for the Wigan/Hull game only covers the cost of that. The rest of the press release from the club is all about potential but I have no idea why anyone in Oz is going to start chucking money Wigan's way.

The reason they do it is because they want to grow the game. Taking a Wigan home game to NSW is not growing the game.
Now it's always a risk that we might not gain much from our venture down under or, if it were to happen, a one off game against NZ Warriors in London, but bloody hell a forward thinking club needs to be trying these things!
Why? Based on what evidence that there is any mileage in London/Oz? I have a lot more time for the Robin Park initiative then I do one off games in far flung places.
We know damn well that the RFL haven't got a clue what their strategy is to grow the sport, to bring in more money which the game desperately needs.
Well I can't see why IL is proving any the wiser with his London/Oz ideas.
WTF are any companies in Oz, NZ or London going to sponsor Wigan or UK RL because of what he is doing here?

It's a simple question. You run a company in Oz your benefit of sponsoring Wigan is what? Zero.

You are the Oz CEO of a subsidiary of a multi-national. You are going to persuade your parent company to sponsor Wigan in the UK? Why? What is in it for you? Not worth the effort.
Well if he doesn't sack Wane, regardless of how we do in the CC or playoffs that tells me he does not have the best interests of this club at heart.

Coaches who win trophies will obviously be given more time to try to rectify problems and will be given patience. Look at Leeds. They went from champions to middle 8's and now they could easily become champions again. McDermott has had his critics for years, sometimes it's impossible to win people over, even with success, but I bet most at Leeds are happy that the club stuck by him.
Yes, lets look at Leeds. Open letter from the chairman saying to his coach improve or ship out. Spot the difference.
IL will make any excuse not to sack Wane. I have no idea why he will do that but I can write his script for him now. The trouble is fans are getting fed up and see grand plans for games in Oz or against NZW as ignoring the basic problems.

He risks alienating the core support.
I'm not a Wane cheerleader. I'm sometimes critical and sometimes positive, but I just don't see how he the chairman could sack our coach in the current circumstances and have it seen as a sensible move. It would be a move from the Whelan/Lindsay era, and thankfully that's well behind us. If it means things happen a little slower, then that's fine by me as long as the club remains healthy on the field and continues to challenge for trophies.
It's not healthy on the field and it is only challenging for trophies because the format is up the creek. How on earth can winning 10 out of 24 games leave us challenging for trophies? It's nuts.

Apologies for bringing politics into it with what I am about to post, but IL is behaving like the "remain" campaign in Brexit. He is taking the concerns of his core support for granted. The trip to Oz is being heavily promoted by the club but its a rich mans jolly.

And do you know what? I think the only thing the club expects to get out of it in reality is a short term profit from selling trips to Oz. I think the stated bigger aims are pie in the sky BS.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Just looked at the table and we are 3 points off 4th, can't believe we might make the top 4 with how we've been playing . Shows how bad the league is at the moment.
Played like this week in week out I the NRL, it would be bottom 4 without doubt.