Tonight v Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
yokozuna

Re: Tonight v Salford

Post by yokozuna »

I'm at a music festival in Devon, so couldn't get any coverage of the match.

Were we that good, or were Salford that bad?

Top 4 is back in our hands thanks to Leeds beating Saints. Did we look good enough to do that on tonight's performance?
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

yokozuna wrote:I'm at a music festival in Devon, so couldn't get any coverage of the match.

Were we that good, or were Salford that bad?

Top 4 is back in our hands thanks to Leeds beating Saints. Did we look good enough to do that on tonight's performance?
bit of A bit of B salford had repeat sets early on but our defense was to good. we got the momentum and didnt let them get back into the game.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

We looked far crisper with the ball all game and that score could have blown out even more. Salfords form is not good but Wigan of a month back would probably have had to grind a win out last night.
Tony Clubb set the tone early, his start to the game was great to see .... I hope when hes fully recovered we see more of that, hes always been capable in short bursts. Looking at what hes been suffering while playing explains some of that drop off he ran well and hit big from the kick off . FPN also looked an handful the pack gave the ball players a platform and rhey used it. Sutton and T continued that momentum. Likes been said Sutty off the bench seemed to work much better, maybe a subtle change could make a massive difference great to see all our front rowers punching through the line. Micky Mac looked sharp I wish he could do more minutes although I believe Sam P is not a impact nine he lookex better behind our better go forward.
I hope Sam T can get a good run now without injury hes looking better and he manages the team so well. I was always one who believed/hoped he would get back near to the once in a generation kind of player he was becoming.
That was the Gelling last night that I love to see great yards good D and a touch of magic with the ball. It always seems to take him a while after injury to get back on form and then hes been unlucky and picked another up. His dressing room rap after the game is also more than just daft its a team builder all the lads seamed together....
Bateman and Faz almost always good and Williams can create somthing out of nothing I wasnt looking forward to the end of this season but last night gave me a glimmer of hope.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
5miler

Post by 5miler »

cherry.pie wrote:Salford were probably the worst team to come to the DW this season, so there's no point getting carried away. However, the team attacked with cohesion for the first time in ages and we did exactly what we should be doing against a weak team.

More importantly our defence was good. Their only try came from a well placed kick near the posts where Evalds outjumped Williams.

Our forwards looked very keen. Clubb and Sutton both made good breaks from strong carries. Defensively our players were really up for it. Sometimes before a big game the players seem to be taking it easy but the aggressive defence was almost as good to watch as the attack.

Mickey and Bateman were throwing themselves into tackles, FPN, Clubb, Sutton also made sure their hits were sticking. George and Tommy both put big hits on their opposite number. After taking a dislike to something in a tackle Tommy pointed towards the culprit as if to say 'I'm going to get you' and a few plays later he did.

Yes, Salford were very poor, but it was enjoyable to watch our attack and defence so that was just what is needed before the cup final and it was good to go to the DW and enjoy what was on show.

The team for the cup final should have been decided too. There's no place for Joel Tomkins in that side and Davies should replace Marshall with Budgie keeping his place on the wing (although both made a couple of errors and weren't outstanding).
not only did Tommy get him back,the lad gave Tommy a thumbs up for the hit. Salford were up for it at the start of each half but our defence strangled the life out of them which then allowed Wigan to play. This is where we've been lacking all season,earning the right to play. Was it perfect? No. But we controlled the game for long periods. The playmakers were busy,all the forwards had big games,running hard into contact and Sutton even busted clean through but had no support when he needed it. After watching it back on Wigan tv I can't see how we weren't given an 8 point try at the end. I wondered if Budgie had kicked it too hard at first,but watching it back he would have touched down easily. Good atmosphere in the ground and even better under the East stand watching the last 10 mins of Leeds v Saints. Stewards wanted to lock up,nobody was leaving until the final whistle. They were pretty relaxed about it which was good. Roll on next Saturday.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Sounds like those who have been struggling for fitness/form managed to perform last night.

We will need Farrell, Burgess, Williams and Gelling to be on their game next week, and for the rest of the Super 8s. Bodes well.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
Gaz73

Post by Gaz73 »

Hi i did not see the game but have seen post-match interview with Shaun Wane and been on other social sites any reports of injury;s to any players from last night against Salford please? Wane did not mention any obviously i am hoping not a clean bill of health
mickh

Post by mickh »

A very good game to watch, but Salford were bad. Good momentum all around except for Tommy in my eyes, yes good defence when there were a few team mates around him or the "crowd pleasing" big hit, but, Dobson walked through him in the first half as though he wasn't there, too slow, commits himself too early, ineffective kicking.

Hull are watching all this!

I still have not got my money's worth for this seasons efforts, hope next week pays me back in full.

Tommy for Lance Todd?

WEMBERLEE, WEMBERLEE! :)

Mick
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

We did play well and Salford weren't that good. When there's such a difference in the teams it's hard to know whether it was Salford being poor or Wigan making them look that way. But you can only play what's in front of you.

Sadly our points for and against leaves us with a aching gap to next place Saints in the league. But quite how we didn't get a penalty try at the end defeats me. The question is whether Budgie would necessarily have scored. And the answer is an unequivocal yes.

Would it have effected the eventual result or significantly changed our league position, then sadly no. Still a bad decision though.

But as a warm up for next week it was good. The enthusiasm of the team as a whole was excellent. We enjoyed some seriously good line busts by Sutton and Clubb with Lulu's tackle a joy. And Hull lost.

Last time we played Salford the week before a big match we beat them and went on to win the World Club Challenge. Let's hope it's a good omen this time too!
Stevethegas
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

mickh wrote:A very good game to watch, but Salford were bad. Good momentum all around except for Tommy in my eyes, yes good defence when there were a few team mates around him or the "crowd pleasing" big hit, but, Dobson walked through him in the first half as though he wasn't there, too slow, commits himself too early, ineffective kicking.

Mick
Personally thought Bateman was more at fault for this defensive lapse

One thing I cannot understand. And two posters have said the same. Is the praise for Gelling! :eh:

Are you sure you guys have not got mixed up with Gildart???

It was Gildart who was taking the ball up, making the great metres, making the breaks for the tries NOT Gelling. Gelling provided the pass for Marshall's try, wasted another by holding on when he should have passed and early in the second half was guilty of a bad defensive play (yet again) that needed a fantastic Leuluai cover tackle to prevent a possible Salford score. He was easily our worst back on show

On the rest, that was more like Wigan of old. Where it has been hiding I have no idea BUT proves that the team can perform to a higher standard than some of what has been served up over the last few months
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Gelling played it tough taking up the first drive coming out of own 10 or 20 mtr areas. When the stats come out he won't be far off most meters made and they were hard meters too.
A lot of players who've been out of form played well and had to.
Gelling adds too much in terms of hard work for anyone to think of replacing him.
An all round good performance. We can all find fault but overall it was pleasing to watch with plenty quality rugby played.