Under 19s

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
5miler

Re: Under 19s

Post by 5miler »

josie andrews wrote:Fantastic game, & a fantastic achievement for the U19's as they reach their ninth Grand Final in ten years.

The final will be contested between Wigan Warriors v Castleford Tigers

Details will be confirmed in due course.

What are the chances of a home game at the DW??? :(
Just been looking on Casforum,they seem to think they will be at home.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Why would Cas be at home (genuine question)??

Our forwards spent the day making the field look like an NHS waiting room - I almost felt sorry for Catalan..... Almost...... :-)
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wigan have previously played two academy finals at the DW so it is possible. On one occasion it was played prior to the first team game, so in reality playing before the Cas game would seem sensible but this is the RFL we're talking about.
They also played one final v Wire at Leigh sports village.
The seating area at Robin Park is bigger than that at Cas if the RFL want to play it there.
Anyway nine finals in ten years is a fantastic testimony to the BEST academy system in RL, although I'm sure the doom mongers who have been conspicuous by their absence this weekend will somehow find negativity to attack the club, coach and or owners!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I hope it isn't at Castleford! :angry:

I was told today that the RFL want this final played as soon as possible so it won't interfere with the Super 8's or the qualifiers!!

It is pencilled in for Sunday 3rd September.

Why is can't be played as a curtain raiser before the Castleford game on Sunday 17th September is beyond me!

Surely we should have home advantage with finishing top of the league?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

That's what I was thinking Josie

Id imagine Wigan would be furious if it were at Cas given we finished top

Leigh or before the Cas game seems sensible
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

PaulC wrote:That's what I was thinking Josie

Id imagine Wigan would be furious if it were at Cas given we finished top

Leigh or before the Cas game seems sensible
We have had to play a few away in the past despite finishing in top position.
Leeds and Saints once, but we also played Hull at Dewsbury, so anything is possible.
Martini time, anytime anyplace anywhere :D
5miler

Post by 5miler »

The Cas fans seem to think the U19's play at the DW so will be unable to play there as the cabbage kickers are back in residence. As the 19's almost never play there makes that laughable. Wherever it's played I'm confident the Wigan youngsters will stick it up them so bring it on.
doc

Post by doc »

According to League Weekly the final is scheduled for this weekend. Once again proof that the RFL can't organise a p!55 up in a brewery. The U19s final is usually held a week or two after the Challenge cup final

Surely the sensible thing to do would be to play it before the Wigan vs Cas Super 8s match on Sunday 17th so both sets of fans could watch their academy teams play.

Sadly I can see it being played at Cas or LSV next Sunday in front of 3 men and a dog.
5miler

Post by 5miler »

josie andrews wrote:I hope it isn't at Castleford! :angry:

I was told today that the RFL want this final played as soon as possible so it won't interfere with the Super 8's or the qualifiers!!

Why is can't be played as a curtain raiser before the Castleford game on Sunday 17th September is beyond me!

Why would it interfere with the Super 8's? Cas have qualified already and the Wigan U19's got top spot even though they were heavily disrupted throughout the season with first team call ups and England call ups. Weak excuses.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

5miler wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I hope it isn't at Castleford! :angry:

Why would it interfere with the Super 8's? Cas have qualified already and the Wigan U19's got top spot even though they were heavily disrupted throughout the season with first team call ups and England call ups. Weak excuses.
That's just what I was told ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan