How poor is our attack?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

How poor is our attack?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Everyone perceives that our attack has been poor this season but only Cas and Wakefield have scored more points!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
thegimble

Re: How poor is our attack?

Post by thegimble »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Everyone perceives that our attack has been poor this season but only Cas and Wakefield have scored more points!
Its perspective.

Our attack over the last few years has got worse. A good 50-60 points we scored in some games came when we had lost the game and the other side shut up shop.

Our attack has not been fluid since 2013 for me but the defence then was fairly solid. The points against was worrying at one time but looking at that the amount injured it was going to happen.

We have lost 1 in 10 games since Leigh and the squad got a lot stronger. Only worry I have for the GF atm in time is we win the CC and take our foot off the gas. Win or lose next weekend it has to be forgotten very quickly.

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have only one issue with the club and that is our record on preparation, prevention and cure of injuries. Our struggles over the last 4 years are all because of our inability to get our best players on the field. Now we have the team we want and everyone is fit and well we are beginning to show that we are the best team in the country. We have recruited very well and have developed our own into excellent players. We dig deep and leave nothing out there. I am confident we will comfortably win next week, expecially now Sam is back to 2011 form. He will tear them apart again.

The attack against Cronulla and on and off over the last few weeks has been great to watch. With our left combo fit and well, and originally Escare and now Sam causing havoc from the back we are a very dangerous team indeed. With 11 first choice players on the sunbed with hurty toes we are not so good.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Everyone perceives that our attack has been poor this season but only Cas and Wakefield have scored more points!
Well you know what they say there are lies, damned lies and statistics but even the stats tell you it has got worse for several seasons now.

It's obvious to anyone who watches the matches that the attack is poor. It's down right awful within the last 20m and we seem devoid of guile and ideas close to the line and are easy to close down. The attack in this areas of the pitch is for me the biggest reason our attack has declined over recent seasons statistically as well as being perceived to be so by the fans.

With a bit more flair in that area I am sure we would have won several more matches this season and not be sat on a knife edge for a top four place.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

DaveO wrote:
Well you know what they say there are lies, damned lies and statistics but even the stats tell you it has got worse for several seasons now.

It's obvious to anyone who watches the matches that the attack is poor. It's down right awful within the last 20m and we seem devoid of guile and ideas close to the line and are easy to close down. The attack in this areas of the pitch is for me the biggest reason our attack has declined over recent seasons statistically as well as being perceived to be so by the fans.

With a bit more flair in that area I am sure we would have won several more matches this season and not be sat on a knife edge for a top four place.
No Dave, not statistics, facts. Wigan are now second highest try scorers behind Castleford. If the attack was THAT bad then this wouldn't be the case would it?
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Looking at the league table we are the 6th highest scorers. only team above us with an inferior points for is saints.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

cow yeds wrote:Looking at the league table we are the 6th highest scorers. only team above us with an inferior points for is saints.
Not true.
http://www.rugby-league.com/superleague/tables
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't think there's much dispute, though, that we have looked much improved in the last couple of games or so in attack, and I'd put that mostly down to Sam Tomkins. his taking over some of the kicking duties is a welcome improvement, and he is getting much more involved now in our attack.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

No straw damn us wrote:
DaveO wrote:

No Dave, not statistics, facts. Wigan are now second highest try scorers behind Castleford. If the attack was THAT bad then this wouldn't be the case would it?
Saying we are second covers up a multitude of sins. Cas scored 134 tries and kicked 120 goals. We scored 104 and kicked 68. Doesn't look so hot then does it?

That is why we are at P23 L10 W10 D3 v their P23 W20 L3 in the regular season. This is the stat that matters and why we are on a knife edge for a top four place.

Do you or do you not agree with me that our attack looks naff in the last 20M?
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

DaveO
Do you or do you not agree with me that our attack has looked devoid of ideas in the last 20m?

If you want some facts here are some.

Tries scored for Wigan:

2010 161
2011 150
2012 183
2013 159
2014 151
2015 112
2016 91
2017 104

Before 2010 under Noble we saw similar figures to what we see now. Paul Deacon left in 2015 when the tries scored fell off a cliff.

Anyone who doesn't think the attack has been poor for the last three seasons based on watching the actual games AND the statistics doesn't want to see.

The fact we are second to Cas (who scored 134 tries and kicked 120 goals v our 104 and 68) must be one of the most irrelevant statistics of all time including the fact it makes us sound better than we have been when you see how far away from them we actually are. It's why the only stat that matters reads P23 W20 L3 for Cas and P23 L10 W10 D3 for us.
You are quoting end of season Try volumes there vs almost end of season volumes - So we should on full season (end of super 8s) volumes be on circa 120 Tries (give or take!)

Not disagreeing with you at all BTW, under Wane our attack hasn't been as good at all, that said though, unless you compare this to all other teams and their try numbers it doesn't mean a lot - the game goes through phases of change, some teams have an amazing try scoring record one year and go on to win nothing, the following year score bugger all tries and win it all.

My main concern has been poor attack AND defence - at least in the last few matches we have been improving both :-)