Burgess?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dave-C

Burgess?

Post by Dave-C »

What's happened with him? I'm even saying that maybe he should now be dropped.

His form has been awful. His decisions have been bad. He's looked slow, uninterested and generally fatigued for the majority of this season. Yes, he got a try today but doesn't sum him up this year.
PaulC

Re: Burgess?

Post by PaulC »

Bar a slight loss in place likely to adding a bit of bulk, as an individual i don't think he is as far off as some see it.

His defence always used to be a bit suspect and he used to have brain farts only surpassed by gelling but we all saw past it because of his end to end tries and tries at crucial moments.

It is of course also partly due to those inside him. If they draw the defenders and give him the space or if Williams puts the balls on point as he was in 2015 and Budgie looks a lot better
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I think he can't be arsed, he's got his new shinny contract, the team are playing crap so why should he put in any more than 65% in any game
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

He's injured.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
VR46

Post by VR46 »

To be fair to Budgie I don't think he's doing as bad as some people are making out

There is plenty doing much worse job and not getting a mention :conf:
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Since his long absence with injury I do not think he has ever been more than 85% fit.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I agree that Budgie looks like a player who isn't fully fit. He's not been right since the knee injury (against Leigh?) when we tried him at centre. He looks to me like a player who's just able to get from game to game and not work on his fitness or sharpness mid-week. At present we don't have anyone else who can do a better job so he plays and still offers plenty to the team. After a loss like yesterday it's so easy to look at individual players and individual plays and think that if things had been a bit different we could have won but, let's be honest, we weren't good enough because of the problems that have been apparent all season (and last season). Hull were not at their best but were able to beat us using the tactics that everybody knew they would use and we were let down by our limited attacking options and kicking. If the present squad is good enough, and I think it only needs a couple of changes for next year, the fault must lie in the tactics that we employ. We're so predictable that every team we play knows what to expect. Opposition players state this fact every time they're interviewed about playing us!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Agree with all of that, southport.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

You summed it up there Southport.
As for tactics Peacock stated that they knew what Wigan would do a couple of seasons ago when he was playing.
That should have set alarm bells ringing then but it obviously didn't?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield