Wane out-thought

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
joeb

Re: Wane out-thought

Post by joeb »

Leigh next season
doc

Post by doc »

Could have been worse if Hull had done the obvious and bombed Marshall constantly. Even so Sneyd's kicking game was still a million miles better than ours.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

We could do much worse than that slaphead at Salford? He can kick and can manage a game better than owt we've got, and yes he's not Wigan standard!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

One last general post from a tired and a brassed fan, how many games have we won this season, the ratio? Its not good enough and I lay the blame quite simply at our coaches doorstep. Any fan who knows anything about the game can see it. Saints under Cunningham? Please Shaun go to Leigh with your mate
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

Yep to be out thought you need a rugby brain in the first place. no lets go and wrestle them in the pitt. the fella is clueless and has been very fortunate to coach this great club for so long. I ve said before and I ll saying it again he is killing the club
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yes, one remarkably fortunate bounce doesn't alter the fact that TL must be the worst regular kicker in the comp.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

After the success of last season, I was a vehement "Wane in" man but that is starting to slide. But I do come at it from a different angle.
Brian Noble won a lot with the Bulls because of a particular squad he had that could play a certain way in a certain era of RL. And it was very effective. He came to Wigan when were in dire need of some direction and we got it but it was never enough to make us the best as our squad was different and had other facets that didn't get managed well. Madge took over, with the same squad and turned us into the best team in the League.
The team that Waney inherited from Madge is all but gone now and I don't think Wane has the ability to change the tactics.
Cas, this season have shown us an entirely new brand of RL which is the antithesis of what Wigan are producing. They've done it by looking at their particular squad and utilising their particular skill set (to great effect).
With Wane in charge, we will continue to play this way and this season has shown that that isn't good enough anymore. I actually believe that the players are getting tired of the same old plays and this "detail" that's always talked about. We have the players and we have a coach who cares passionately about his club but RL has moved on and we haven't.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

Totally right Kiwiseddon - Powell at Cas has got some fairly average players (mcshane, Webster) looking good by setting a plan around their strengths. He's built good players like Gale and Eden into looking like elite players by the same approach. Man for man Cas are no better than the talent we have in the club but we seem to be unable to use ours effectively. Only in second half late on did we use the left edge with Faz getting early ball - that is not a Williams / Leuluai decision making thing - it was tactically led, presumably wane didn't want hit that side much early on because of an assumption Hull would load up that side and thought better space would be on the right. Fatal error by Wane - make the defence make the tackles rather than running away from them. Put Faz and Budgie at pace against any line 10 times, at least twice they'll break the line - only put them at pace into the line 3 times and it's a dead play 3 times.

In essence I think Wane showed Hull too much respect and was worried about their pack...lost the coaching psychology side of it before we even left Wigan .

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kiwiseddon wrote:They've done it by looking at their particular squad and utilising their particular skill set (to great effect).
With Wane in charge, we will continue to play this way and this season has shown that that isn't good enough anymore. I actually believe that the players are getting tired of the same old plays and this "detail" that's always talked about. We have the players and we have a coach who cares passionately about his club but RL has moved on and we haven't.
I believe this also but it's not new. How many times have people complained over recent seasons that there is no plan B?

I am constantly reminded not just of the Noble era but of Dorahay where the players were having none of it. Wane rules the roost to strongly for that to occur again it seems.

The other thing is, why would any player want to come and play in this system? It stands out a mile it's poor so we are only signing average players like ISA.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

endoman wrote:Today is the end of the season. Hope a top class team is lined up.
Correct, we will get hammered on Friday.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards