Warriors linked to move for rising South Sydney star

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Warriors linked to move for rising South Sydney star

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:
DaveO wrote:This is a ridiculous signing.

If you watch the Chairman's address from the end of season dinner he is telling us we have the best sporting academy bar none in any sport.

So what do we do? We go and sign a 20 year old "project" from overseas. Why has he got any better chance of making the grade than one of our own young players? He's not!
How do you know? You've never seen him play!
Well that is blindingly obvious if you think for minute. I refer you to the wisdom of the great John Monie who said if you get three first team players from an entire crop of academy players you have done well. He is an academy player of 20 years old so he's in the same boat as all the rest of them. He might make it, he might not.

I'd also bet my house on it i have seen as much of him play as Wane - on You tube!

Apart from the obvious hypocrisy of doing this, we don't need more young players. We need experience and leadership on the park.
You're right about leadership, but we've got plenty of experience in the forwards. At the start of next season O'Loughlin will be 35, FPN 30, Flower 30, Clubb 30, Joel 30, Tautai will be 30 by April, McIlorum 29, Isa 28 and Faz 27. Even Bateman is now mid-20's so now should be approaching his prime.
But clearly we have not. As soon as Lockers leaves the pitch we fall apart. Every one of those players has had the opportunity to step up to the plate at some point this season and has not. Being 30 instead of 29 isn't going to make a difference. They would have done it already if they were ever going to. Several of those players are part of the problem, not the solution.
Navarrete will presumably leave due to homesickness, Kibula and Barnes aren't ready for 1st team rugby yet and still qualify for the under 19's, Partington isn't ready for 1st team rugby either. Bretherton hasn't really done much to push for a place and might benefit from guaranteed rugby on loan and Joel is constantly injured.

Given we've got players tied up on contracts and don't have much room to manoeuvre I'm happy to wait and see how Hamlin goes before suggesting it's a ridiculous signing.
He's 20 years old with zero 1st grade experience. Even if he is a year or so in front of Kibula (who looks ready anyway to me) he is still going to lack experience and so is going to be just as likely to make mistakes as any young player when what we need if we need a forward (and we do) is an experienced prop out of the Craig Smith, Pongia mould. He's 5 foot 10 so has to get into the back row before Faz, Bateman, Isa and Joel as surely he can't be seen as a prop to be picked before CLubb, FPN, Flower and Sutton.

Regardless of his academy status he is also just another "middle" and we have enough of those not to be signing one who will compete with the existing ones while offering nothing of what we actually need.

I am sure he will get a game mind. New signings always do regardless under Wane.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jasonnlouise wrote:It's said he can play 13 also,let's give the lad a chance before writing him off,would we have been happier signing a 33 year old forward like Hoffman? I
Absolutely because a this point in time it is what we are crying out for. Sure it would be a bit of an indictment we had to go for an older player but a Hoffman type player or someone like Pongia is exactly what we need. Not another young lad with no 1st team experience at all.
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

DaveO wrote:
jasonnlouise wrote:It's said he can play 13 also,let's give the lad a chance before writing him off,would we have been happier signing a 33 year old forward like Hoffman? I
Absolutely because a this point in time it is what we are crying out for. Sure it would be a bit of an indictment we had to go for an older player but a Hoffman type player or someone like Pongia is exactly what we need. Not another young lad with no 1st team experience at all.
The problem with getting a 30+ player from Australia is if you get them they are usually unwanted in the NRL and past their best and they cost a big slice of the salary cap we have plenty of late 20s early 30s forwards at the club maybe some of these should be offloaded to try and get an experienced nrl forward or 2 as some have certainly under performed this season ,overseas signings are always a gamble some work some don't, Alex Walmsley of saints was mentioned but he was picked up from lower league as a project player but made the grade as did Chris Hill they are out there its just finding them .
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

On his own this signing isn't that inspiring.
Though I don't think will be the club's only signing for 2018.
I'd imagine there'd be a couple of players incoming.
Not taken that long since IL made his speech at the club dinner.
Seinfeld79

Post by Seinfeld79 »

I'm surprised you are so upset Dave, thought you said you weren't going next year.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I wonder if any more signings will be arriving from Oz?
This lad will no doubt be the first of our close season signings.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

We can live in hope Ted, I won't hold my breath.
There's only one signing I'd make at this moment in time, a new coach. One with two legs, not four wheels, to clarify!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I thought we where at the top of the cap last season if so someones being shunted out surely before any new signings come in??