Marquee Players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Marquee Players

Post by Firestarter »

adiddy wrote:
thegimble wrote:
ancientnloyal wrote:I'd disagree giving Sam T marquee status he is nowhere near what he was before he went to Aus. Lets hope he improves for 2018.

Id simply have George Williams and Bateman... I believe Bateman should be our long term Wigan Captain at #13
Williams has done very little deserve the marquee status same for Sam Tomkins. Difference is Sam has proven his abilities Williams has not. Neither should be on so much money. Sam Tomkins at the age Williams is now was terrorising SL. Williams was not even ahead of Brown in the England squad. Williams is so over rated he is becoming the New Hampshire to a degree.

Sam Tomkins has 3 months or so to prove he deserves to be on so much money or his next big pay packet could be at Salford or Widnes. Tomkins I believe will prove his value after a full pre season. Williams I do not have faith in.

I would have Bateman and any quality NRL half on major money. Giving marquee money to Williams for not allegedly going to Wire or the NRL was a mistake. At 23 he needs to show he is a class half.

Whilst I agree that Williams has been found wanting during the last season, there is no doubting his obvious talent.

I think he has been put in a no win situation by the club and the fans. The club obviously couldn't allow George to leave as the backlash from the fans would have been biblical. Saying that, George hasn't had the best season but is that also down to the club and their playing style which imo hasn't and doesn't suit Georges style of Maverick play.

Imagine if George had gone to Wire or Saints and had ripped us apart on a regular basis there would have been uproar.

Williams is playing a maverick style of play in a too structured team, how many times do we see him run a line only to have no runners?, how many times is he tackled with the ball because we have no one running any dummy lines to create any gaps?, how many tackles as a half back does he make each game?

I think for George to shine we need our offence to be less structured to allow our strike players the freedom to show what they can do, and that starts with the forwards being allowed to be forwards again!! Only then will we see George showing us what a marquee player looks like!!!

Unfortunately after reading Wanes Q and A in the paper where he states that he likes the way modern wingers are used more in taking the ball up, we'll see more of the same structures as last season and more of a frustrated and shackled half back pairing!!!

Hope I'm wrong
Matt
i totally agree with this post and hopefully he will be allowed too express himself more at seven...... when george takes the ball up at first receiver he is far more effective imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ian b

Post by ian b »

basically everyone on here was crapping themselves incase warrington signed him because his father was there. Wigan sign him and he's not good enough. I believe he was injured for a large part of last season as was half the squad. Lets see what happens this year
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

ian b wrote:basically everyone on here was crapping themselves incase warrington signed him because his father was there. Wigan sign him and he's not good enough. I believe he was injured for a large part of last season as was half the squad. Lets see what happens this year
Very true the club would have been hammered if we'd have let Sam sign for Warrington they'd have been accused of lack of ambition let's see how he does this season fully fit and a full preseason
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ian b wrote:basically everyone on here was crapping themselves incase warrington signed him because his father was there. Wigan sign him and he's not good enough. I believe he was injured for a large part of last season as was half the squad. Lets see what happens this year
#

Wigan fans would have been fed up if we had not re-signed most of the ex-Wigan players such as Samt T, Joel T, Burgess and even TL. Not retaining players and being fed up about that is the same thing.

There is the old saying for coaches, "listen to fans and you will soon be one of them" and really given I reckon it's IL who really decides who stays, goes and is re-signed that should apply to him. I think he has reacted to fans concerns far too much.

Not that I did not voice some of these concerns myself as in I don't want players to leave but in my defense I have never seen the need to automatically resign them particularly as in Sam's case as a marquee player.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

old hooker wrote:
DaveO wrote:
#

Wigan fans would have been fed up if we had not re-signed most of the ex-Wigan players such as Samt T, Joel T, Burgess and even TL. Not retaining players and being fed up about that is the same thing.

There is the old saying for coaches, "listen to fans and you will soon be one of them" and really given I reckon it's IL who really decides who stays, goes and is re-signed that should apply to him. I think he has reacted to fans concerns far too much.

Not that I did not voice some of these concerns myself as in I don't want players to leave but in my defense I have never seen the need to automatically resign them

particularly as in Sam's case as a marquee player.

IL does not listen to the fans and does not care about the fans that is the main problem with the club.He has not become a successful businessman by listening to others and trying to please them.He is ruining the club and we are falling behind other clubs in ambition.
I think the outcry from fans when it seemed to be open season on our players being poached is exactly what IL was hearing and is exactly why he tried tried to mitigate the fans concerns by coming out with all the first refusal rubbish. When players wanted to come back he jumped at the chance to "prove" this policy was working.

He may or may not be deaf to fans concerns on other issues but on this particular issue he reacted to the fans and it has proved a bit of a disaster. So by listening to the fans on this particular issue he's a victim of the old adage I referred to. That is the point I was making. Not that he listens to fans and does what they suggest all the time.