Interesting Aussie perspective on the game in Wollongong

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: Interesting Aussie perspective on the game in Wollongong

Post by ian.birchall »

So no mid season test v NZ in America then.
Probably saving money anyway I suspect as it must have risked running at a big loss.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Wikimann

Post by Wikimann »

I’d love to know if there was actually any ‘truth’ in the RFL having a Perth agenda or simply Mascord throwing that in himself. Clearly the NRL has missed a massive opportunity for its own expansion into WA,especially with the Force being dumped from RU’s Super rugby comp.

Whether a Perth franchise in SL would be remotely possible/viable or realistic (even allowing for Toronto & potential new North American ventures) is highly unlikely,despite the ‘shortest’ direct flights to the UK!

Having said that,I’ve mentioned the RU Pro14 in another thread & they have 2 SA based Southern Hemisphere sides competing in their comp weekly so it is possible!
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

Interesting,and a much wider viewpoint than most people have ,both in GB and OZ.I have been wondering why Hetherington,who won’t entertain a reserve team, was so determined to play over there.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I don't see the connection with the Wigan / Hull trip and the expansionist comments from the author of the article.

Sure there are interesting developments like Toronto, New York and so on but what has Wigan going to play a game in the NRL heartland got to do with it? How will it help Toulouse become an SL side?

I think the Wigan / Hull game is far more parochial. Wigan are set to make money out of it and that is why it's happening. Not as part of some master plan for SL to rule the RL world or whatever.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote:I don't see the connection with the Wigan / Hull trip and the expansionist comments from the author of the article.

Sure there are interesting developments like Toronto, New York and so on but what has Wigan going to play a game in the NRL heartland got to do with it? How will it help Toulouse become an SL side?

I think the Wigan / Hull game is far more parochial. Wigan are set to make money out of it and that is why it's happening. Not as part of some master plan for SL to rule the RL world or whatever.
Agreed,

I think tis game is happening only becuase of a gap in the fixture list,(though what would have happened if either club had won the GF who knows?)and nothing more,theres novelty value to the game for sure but nothing more.

This game will be filed under "do you remember when they played a SL game in Aus" and nothing more.