We should sign a crowd pleaser

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
catman

We should sign a crowd pleaser

Post by catman »

I wish the club would sign an old fashioned crowd pleaser type of player. A player with skill, flair and determination. A player who plays with his heart on his sleeve and clearly enjoys being on the field. A player that means you look forward to the match all week and eagerly await his first touch of the ball.

In the past we've had the likes of Terry Newton, Josh Charnley Feka and Brian Carney and of course the greatest crowd pleaser of all time Henderson Gill. None of these players were world class but they were bold, determined and went for it. When they got the ball they got you out of your seat and you enjoyed the game.

In the past few seasons players like this have been very thin on the ground as have moments of entertainment, often the players look like they have the weight of the world their shoulders and they don't wish to be out there. Who this new player could be is open to debate but a crowdpleaser would liven things up both on and off the pitch.
Fujiman

Re: We should sign a crowd pleaser

Post by Fujiman »

catman wrote:I wish the club would sign an old fashioned crowd pleaser type of player. A player with skill, flair and determination. A player who plays with his heart on his sleeve and clearly enjoys being on the field. A player that means you look forward to the match all week and eagerly await his first touch of the ball.

In the past we've had the likes of Terry Newton, Josh Charnley Feka and Brian Carney and of course the greatest crowd pleaser of all time Henderson Gill. None of these players were world class but they were bold, determined and went for it. When they got the ball they got you out of your seat and you enjoyed the game.

In the past few seasons players like this have been very thin on the ground as have moments of entertainment, often the players look like they have the weight of the world their shoulders and they don't wish to be out there. Who this new player could be is open to debate but a crowdpleaser would liven things up both on and off the pitch.
who would you suggest?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Kevin Naiqama?

jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

Albert Kelly imo we should have got him from KR before he went to Hull ,he's got that bit of xfactor about him
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I mentioned about Kelly on a Facebook group before he joined F.C. god almighty the ridicule I got :angry: stand by it though fine,fine player
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

fozzieskem wrote:I mentioned about Kelly on a Facebook group before he joined F.C. god almighty the ridicule I got :angry: stand by it though fine,fine player
I got similar on RLfans
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

fozzieskem wrote:I mentioned about Kelly on a Facebook group before he joined F.C. god almighty the ridicule I got :angry: stand by it though fine,fine player
while i agree Kelly is a good player i don't think he is what we need, we have a Kelly style player in Williams, What we are missing is a "Smart" player, someone who's an out an out organiser

Before anyone makes the Smith comment, just no, he wasn't anything like that player - he just offered nothing else which is why people attributed "organising" to him but he didn't pull us round the park like what we need.

We need a Finch or a Green, A Trent Barrett someone with genuine rugby brain who can really pull the strings. We have a lot of good X Factor players already if we could pair them with a genuine thinker, unfortunately there aren't many of them around now because anyone of real talent wont play in our league unless a ban or similar causes it.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i've posted similar about this previously

i think the problem is that there is a real lack of quality players available to the super league because of the NRL salary cap etc

when i look around all the teams in SL i ask myself who would i pay to watch? Which player would pull the fans in? Who puts bums on seats?

Dont get me wrong i fully respect every single player that pulls on a shirt for our entertainment as the game is physically brutal / demanding on them all. however as a fan you want to see something different / someone special

unfortunately it feels like the days of Hanley, Offiah etc are long gone, unless SL does something different

the game feels like it has become so sanitised - a forward cant shoulder charge / no biff and the flare players are coached to be structured and not play what they see in front of them

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

the pieman wrote:i've posted similar about this previously

i think the problem is that there is a real lack of quality players available to the super league because of the NRL salary cap etc

when i look around all the teams in SL i ask myself who would i pay to watch? Which player would pull the fans in? Who puts bums on seats?

Dont get me wrong i fully respect every single player that pulls on a shirt for our entertainment as the game is physically brutal / demanding on them all. however as a fan you want to see something different / someone special

unfortunately it feels like the days of Hanley, Offiah etc are long gone, unless SL does something different

the game feels like it has become so sanitised - a forward cant shoulder charge / no biff and the flare players are coached to be structured and not play what they see in front of them

The RFL and Super League has destroyed our once great game, add to that Summer Rugby, Rule changes, Salary cap, Constantly trying to copy the Aussies, The Hetheringtons, SKY changing viewing times and days, also the spreading of the TV money to Grass Roots by the Fat Controller and his merry men, many factors but at least we are starting to remedy some of these, some however are not that easy to reverse.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would like a cheeky crafty player - like Robbie Farah. His legs may have gone but he reads a game as well as anyone in town.