George Williiams is never a marquee player!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: George Williiams is never a marquee player!!

Post by DaveO »

Wes wrote:I thought half backs where supposed to be the creative players, am I missing something?
They are supposed to be but currently Wigan's two most creative players are Lockers and Sam T, and the latter ran the show tonight.

I don't know if its tactics, lack of confidence, trying too hard or what but neither Powell nor Williams look assured.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Good job we didn't lose. We were 30 points better than Cas tonight, Hicks kept them in the game. RL is not about individuals it's a team sport, you win or lose collectively. On that performance we will need some beating.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yeah we do. Williams wasn't great tonight, but he still scored a try and had a very good assist. I'd be happy to see Escaré given a shot at 7, though.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

moto748 wrote:Yeah we do. Williams wasn't great tonight, but he still scored a try and had a very good assist. I'd be happy to see Escaré given a shot at 7, though.
Escape will play next week.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:Good job we didn't lose. We were 30 points better than Cas tonight, Hicks kept them in the game. RL is not about individuals it's a team sport, you win or lose collectively. On that performance we will need some beating.
We did really well against a tough team. Hicks gave them every opportunity to get back in it in the 2nd half with penalties (assuming they were not of course...) to get them good field position but they blew it. Kept dropping the ball. Their fault not ours.

What any of this has to do with a thread on Williams I have no idea.

Like every other game some players play well, others not so even if we win. If people want to discuss individuals then this is exactly what the forum is for.
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

Williams at the minute seems to be a case of the eyes and the stats telling us different things.
If I’m going to offer mitigation for him and Powell it would be that they’re a new combination who rarely play the full 80 together.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I was very happy with Williams. He did some great things. He doesn’t have to organise every set. He keeps the defence set, and creates space for the players outside him and has a great short kicking game. His side was irresistible tonight and his soft hands for Faz’ try were masterful. Superb try as well.
Seinfeld79

Post by Seinfeld79 »

This thread is based on a perception of a player's worth based on their current performances. The reality is that contracts need to recognise the salary cap available (dependent on the size of the squad), other offers on the table for the player & the likely cost of finding a repkacement (if any are available). I expect we are seeing this currently with Sam (e.g. if the club have someone else in mind to have marquee status over the next few yrs) and that we also saw this with George at the time of his contract negotiation.

I doubt there would have been many posters on here congratulating Wigan on a good deal of business if they'd let him go to Warrington say when they were negotiating George's last contract - there would have been plenty "short arms" references I'm sure.
4 Generations

Post by 4 Generations »

I agree,atm he isnt even a 2 man pop up,never mind a Marquee.I must be over critical or just missing all these trys hes setting up.
One trick pony for me ,ATM.
As for MOM,WI has been great last three games,Clubb i thought was uncompromising last night and how peyhart gets the vote over Burgess i realy dont know.

4G
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wasn't he only given the Marque position to stop other clubs from poaching him? fans need to stop bitching and moaning and show him some support, if you want to bitch and moan there's always Sam Powell :D