Tomkins Leaving - Official

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Tomkins Leaving - Official

Post by medlocke »

jao711 wrote:
medlocke wrote:
thegimble wrote:They hadn't agreed to pay anything, they had an option. If I had wanted to make sure I was paid something I would put it into a contract.
Here, the club can point to what 2 good games in 2 and a bit years, plus a fortune spent on his rehab, including for a self inflicted injury.

I agree. He should have had a 3 year deal signed without an option if he wanted guranteed money. 2 previous seasons he has been absent more than he has been on the field.

The club has done the right thing for me. Got a replacement ready and announced it early.

Or can we put it this way we have let him go before he did what he did last time and jumped. He will not do 4 in France either he will up sticks inside 2 years.
I'll put 50p on it that he is at Warrington inside of 2 seasons :D
. Last of the high rollers.
I'd go £1.75 if i was on Sam's money :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: What happens next is going to be interesting. Will the club splash the cash and sign another genuine marquee besides signing Hardaker?
Or are we now run to the budget of a mid table club?
This! IMO of course!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
oldhooker wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I still stand by what I said Dave, it’s my opinion. I’m very disappointed with him & the club.
Of course Josie, you would not think of your family you would only want to please the club and fans .
:roll:
That is uncalled for.
Is he unable to live off a 6 figure salary? No - so putting the family's future first is complete bull. Tbh, it would be beneath a lot of people even to use that as an excuse. He would have been more credible had he put his hand up and simply said - look, this is a very hard game, and who knows when it can all come an end, and so I have chosen whichever offer paid me more. Because such is life. He is using his kids like a shield to hide behind.
So you know what salary he should live off?,nonsense, family come first end of story, and just because he did not explain his reasons how you want him too he is a liar?So many people wish to tell other people what they should do with their careers without having any knowledge of their private affairs it makes me laugh.Good luck to Sam and im sure he wont lose any sleep over nobodys criticising him.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

oldhooker wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I still stand by what I said Dave, it’s my opinion. I’m very disappointed with him & the club.
Of course Josie, you would not think of your family you would only want to please the club and fans .
:roll:
Am I the only poster on here to have an opinion on this topic?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Billgreenwoodsson

Post by Billgreenwoodsson »

People do say some silly things. Consider this scenario:- I arrive home from work to see my wife and kids. I give her the news that I have been offered a brilliant contract giving me much more money and a chance to live in a lovely climate for a few years. "Wonderful" she says.. Just a minute say I but I turned it down flat to be loyal to my club and supporters. I do recall names such as Gary Connelly, Martin Offiah, Andrew Gregory, Ellery Hanley etc and yet i do not recall Wigan fans saying "No you must stay loyal to Saints, Widnes, Bradford etc etc." Hypocrites. Good luck Sam. Enjoy.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Billgreenwoodss​on​ wrote:People do say some silly things. Consider this scenario:- I arrive home from work to see my wife and kids. I give her the news that I have been offered a brilliant contract giving me much more money and a chance to live in a lovely climate for a few years. "Wonderful" she says.. Just a minute say I but I turned it down flat to be loyal to my club and supporters. I do recall names such as Gary Connelly, Martin Offiah, Andrew Gregory, Ellery Hanley etc and yet i do not recall Wigan fans saying "No you must stay loyal to Saints, Widnes, Bradford etc etc." Hypocrites. Good luck Sam. Enjoy.
Agree

i cannot understand why anyone would have an issue with Sam over this, he was signed onm a 3 year day with a club option for an extra year, he will have completed the 3 year deal - at this point he owes us absolutely nothing
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I think most people's views on here are split 50/50.

Sam has been offered more money to sign for Catalans than Wigan offered. He's out of contract so decided to go. Fair enough, but saying he's gone so his kids can learn a new language is bull, he's gone for more money and should say that.

But Wigan have spent lots of money on getting him fit again, not only from NZ but after his accident, so it would be nice to show a bit of loyalty, it's his hometown club to, and we were offering a decent wage for 4 years, not like the 3 from Catalans.

my view, I agree with Josie.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
old hooker wrote:Family come first and if one of his reasons for leaving is that then it is good enough for me.Anyone that doesnt put family first is very selfish.Why should he stay at Wigan, all this crap about loyalty is exactly that.Does anyone think that Lockers stays at Wigan just to pacify club and fans?Of course not he does what suits him and his family.Good luck to the lad, he has won plenty awards, medals and trophys so he appears to want to enjoy a life in the sun.
Anyone can say that family comes first. But they're only words. They don't even make sense in this context - he always wanted his kids to be educated in France? Really? I have heard some rubbish in my time. And when they are done there in 4 years, back they come to England. Nothing kids more than moving countries over and over again.
What awards has he won in the last 5 years?
I do agree he wants to enjoy a life in the sun.
Moreover, I can see the attraction of making as much as you possibly can, ignoring both loyalty and ambition. I am not rushing to applaud it though. But I am sure Sam cares as much about any of our views as he does the club, at least as soon as they stop putting a fortune into his account every month.
Heard he wants to live in SPAIN near Barcelona
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

First Try Tickle wrote:I think most people's views on here are split 50/50.

Sam has been offered more money to sign for Catalans than Wigan offered. He's out of contract so decided to go. Fair enough, but saying he's gone so his kids can learn a new language is bull, he's gone for more money and should say that.

But Wigan have spent lots of money on getting him fit again, not only from NZ but after his accident, so it would be nice to show a bit of loyalty, it's his hometown club to, and we were offering a decent wage for 4 years, not like the 3 from Catalans.

How do you know its bull? could it not be that both money packages were good enough but the experience of living in a new country with his kids appeals to him?. Im not saying either way but to just dismiss it as Bull without personally knowing him seems a big assumption.h

Also Wigan chose to sign him while he was injured - they knew they were getting a player who more than likely would not play for at least a 1/3 of his contract they also chose to pay him the wage theyve paid him over the 3 years. That is all a choice that Wigan made. The injury he sustained himself is unfortunate but that's sport, how many sportsmen/women injury themselves away from the sport - absolutely loads! David seaman once pulled his back reaching for a TV Remote.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:I think most people's views on here are split 50/50.

How do you know its bull? could it not be that both money packages were good enough but the experience of living in a new country with his kids appeals to him?. Im not saying either way but to just dismiss it as Bull without personally knowing him seems a big assumption.
Because his Father in Law was speaking to Fans at the Catalans game and gave loads of reasons why Sam would sign, but his kids learning another language wasn't one of them. Now its one of the main reasons for going.

I bet if the offer from Wigan was the same as the last 3 years, he wouldn't say I'm leaving anyway so I can learn French.

I've got an audio book about learning French, fair enough its on cassette but he can have it for nowt.