Tomkins Leaving - Official

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Tomkins Leaving - Official

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote:I reckon he'll be back in the UK after 2 years because of homesickness.
haha me to but it obviously wont be for the money if he does
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wes

Post by Wes »

The Yonner wrote:I don't see how Sam can be considered any more of a mercenary than Hanley and Gregory (to name but two) when they chose to leave for more money, but then we didn't need to worry in those days when we had Edwards and Botica already at the club. I do feel the club is taking a big risk with Hardaker. Players who misbehave rarely go straight for long (Hock, Gleeson, Rangi Chase for example), so it could all end in tears.

I also don't get why so many posters don't get the contract system. If you go off sick from work you expect to receive sick pay don't you? Why is Sam expected to give money back for the games he has missed just because he is the highest earner? Players can be struck down by injury at any time. Clubs have to take the rough with the smooth.
Yes but as a professional your expected to have high standards NOT go out on the piss get a self inflicted injury which ends your season.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

DaveO wrote:
Wes wrote:Personally I feel both parties have done right for themselves. I don’t think either party has done anything wrong.
Sam hasn't done anything wrong but the club has been unprofessional. It offered him a deal to re-sign in 2015 and then decided it wanted to change the nature of that deal. And while the statement about Les Cats making an illegal approach is no doubt true just how naive are those running the club to think this won't happen?
. The club has done nothing wrong or unprofessional. OPTION is the operative word,but then neither has Sam. Maybe they.both failed to do what most of us wanted.I rememberHanley going to Leeds,nearlybroke my heart,but he owed us nothing,and got a big hand the fist time he played at CP.Life goes on people ,Sam has done a lot for us and it’s not over yet so let’s learn to live with it and show some appreciation to a very fine player.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

Wes wrote:
The Yonner wrote:I don't see how Sam can be considered any more of a mercenary than Hanley and Gregory (to name but two) when they chose to leave for more money, but then we didn't need to worry in those days when we had Edwards and Botica already at the club. I do feel the club is taking a big risk with Hardaker. Players who misbehave rarely go straight for long (Hock, Gleeson, Rangi Chase for example), so it could all end in tears.

I also don't get why so many posters don't get the contract system. If you go off sick from work you expect to receive sick pay don't you? Why is Sam expected to give money back for the games he has missed just because he is the highest earner? Players can be struck down by injury at any time. Clubs have to take the rough with the smooth.
Yes but as a professional your expected to have high standards NOT go out on the piss get a self inflicted injury which ends your season.
. As we have already been told that is just a rumour and an incorrect one at that.
Wes

Post by Wes »

jao711 wrote:
Wes wrote:

. As we have already been told that is just a rumour and an incorrect one at that.
Ok, except it’s not.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Sam has done a lot for us ?
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Sam looked good v HKR and will be a big loss or we will need an expensive replacement.

I could just about accept that we wouldn't risk a 4 yr deal but to then to lose him to Cats for 3 yr deal and then offer our own 4 yr deal and miss out? Was the offer too late or a token gesture?

Maybe he does want a new challenge, perhaps with a promise of a coaching or admin role after that.

Cherry_Warrior

Post by Cherry_Warrior »

jao711 wrote:
Wes wrote:

Standing outside a rugby club inviting anyone that wanted to to try and tackle him as hard as they could to do so. Tickle me rugby players. They think because they are professional that they are tougher than everyone else and can fight or better anyone. Brain boxes some of them.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

jao711 wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Wes wrote:Personally I feel both parties have done right for themselves. I don’t think either party has done anything wrong.
Sam hasn't done anything wrong but the club has been unprofessional. It offered him a deal to re-sign in 2015 and then decided it wanted to change the nature of that deal. And while the statement about Les Cats making an illegal approach is no doubt true just how naive are those running the club to think this won't happen?
. The club has done nothing wrong or unprofessional. OPTION is the operative word,but then neither has Sam. Maybe they.both failed to do what most of us wanted.I rememberHanley going to Leeds,nearlybroke my heart,but he owed us nothing,and got a big hand the fist time he played at CP.Life goes on people ,Sam has done a lot for us and it’s not over yet so let’s learn to live with it and show some appreciation to a very fine player.
Seems to me that the club were prepared to risk him leaving, but if they could get a deal they considered good value they'd be happy for him to stay. He decided to leave for a different opportunity.

At the end of the day the club didn't want him to stay at all costs (or even the cost they thought was acceptable a few years ago). Nothing unprofessional or underhanded there, just a negotiation.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

If Cats get relegated will it be the end of his England career.Or is it already over?