Tomkins Leaving - Official

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Tomkins Leaving - Official

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
thegimble wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: Also the news about us sounding out a move for Hardaker came out along time ago!
I think I saw it here in January or early feb.
Enough said, so we can't condone Sam when it seems his replacement was being lined up long before he had decided to leave!

I agree. From what I can remember Radlinski met ZH in London after Christmas/New Year was the message on here. ST has known for months we were not renewing his contract. Both parties did what they had to. Also I would guess that the Catalan offer came in before Rads met ZH as well.

ST had every right to fish for a contract. To be fair to the club up to October 2017 ST had been a shocking disappointment to us all. It should have been in the back of his mind that they could cut him lose.

They had a massive decision to make wanted to cut the wage bill next year so offered ST a 4 year deal on less. He says no gets a deal from Catalan. All of this with the rumours at that time the ZH ban was going to get reduced so we had a very good replacement ready to step in.

Not one person from Catalan, Wigan management or even ST has done anything wrong here. This is one occasion where it all works out for everyone. ST gets a new life abroad (again) in a part of the world he likes, We get the wage bill reduced and have space for another marquee. And ZH one of the best SL players in the last 2-3 years gets a dream move.

Some People on here have made mountains out of nothing on here armed mainly with agenda driven bias either side of the argument. I really do think if we had kept ST next season those people blaming the club would blame the club for keeping a player who has not played a full season in 5 years.

I agree with your earlier post neither side is to blame for anything.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

So it raises a few questions actually - (correct me if im wrong on any of this) Rads said that Wigan came in really good contract for Sam to try and keep him - this must have been after the Cats offer because he mentioned how it made the decision harder.

Some here are suggesting ZH was tied up prior to Sams future being confirmed?, so what if Sam had said yes does that mean we would of had both ZH and ST or we would of ditched the idea of signing ZH?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:So it raises a few questions actually - (correct me if im wrong on any of this) Rads said that Wigan came in really good contract for Sam to try and keep him - this must have been after the Cats offer because he mentioned how it made the decision harder.

Some here are suggesting ZH was tied up prior to Sams future being confirmed?, so what if Sam had said yes does that mean we would of had both ZH and ST or we would of ditched the idea of signing ZH?
The offer to Sam was probably one of IL & Rads now famous guaranteed to reject contracts, the sort they offered Iain Thornley, Josh Charnley,Daz Goulding, Harrison Hanson etc
Wes

Post by Wes »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:So it raises a few questions actually - (correct me if im wrong on any of this) Rads said that Wigan came in really good contract for Sam to try and keep him - this must have been after the Cats offer because he mentioned how it made the decision harder.

From what I have been told Zak has replaced FPN in the salary stakes so we could have had both.

My opinion is why would Sam want to leave knowing Zak was in the cross hairs? Well maybe that would have cemented Sam as a half and he really doesn’t want to play there!

Also ain’t it funny how Sams form picked up given that some state he knew he wasn’t gettting his fourth year?! ???? Who’s taking the P out of who?!
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Wes wrote:Also ain’t it funny how Sams form picked up given that some state he knew he wasn’t gettting his fourth year?! ???? Who’s taking the P out of who?!
To be honest, if his "form" if you want to call it that for his first two years had continued this season, half of Wigan would have contributed to his taxi fare to the airport to get rid
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
JUKESAYS

Post by JUKESAYS »

Too many 2+2= 5s on here.

Wigan offered Sam a contract he was obvious to turn down? Yet he said it was a very good offer and if they didn't want him why not just offer nothing?

And also, lots of conspiracy theories yet not sure how any of this would have played out if WADA had given hardaker 2 years?
Wigan may have decided to trigger Sam's last year or they still may have let him go, used escare for 1 year and signed Zak for 2020 or just left him altogether as he would have been out the game too long?
None of the above could have been considered until the results of the WADA investigation were known.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Catalan not only a retirement for Nrl players but for ex Wigan players as well
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Showed this evening what we'll be missing next season. Still a top quality player.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

yokozuna wrote:Showed this evening what we'll be missing next season. Still a top quality player.
Come on, yokozuna, get with the program. He's disloyal, picks his games, is too old, is paid too much, has been swinging the lead etc etc. About the only thing he's not done is get banned for drugs!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

mickw wrote:
DaveO wrote:
yokozuna wrote:Showed this evening what we'll be missing next season. Still a top quality player.
Come on, yokozuna, get with the program. He's disloyal, picks his games, is too old, is paid too much, has been swinging the lead etc etc. About the only thing he's not done is get banned for drugs!
dead right dave
:slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: :slee: