Batemans Gone

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Re: Batemans Gone

Post by pearsy »

Another one gone rats leaving a sinking ship springs to mind . The new coach is going to be a miracle worker because he will have no players to work with.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Very true there wont be anyone decent left im truly truly gutted if he goes just been on the local news
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

looks like a "big" announcement tonight at 8

https://twitter.com/WiganWarriorsRL/sta ... 6651835392
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I say good luck to the lad, but don't keep his seat warm with a ridiculous return clause!
Penny wise, pound foolish would appear to be the motto on this one.
As somebody said we've already had one crocked marquee player!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote:Hasnt bateman alway been family orientated? This could be what it says on the tin. He wants to try the NRL. Maybe he is happy at wigan but would of hated it if he hadnt tried.

One minute everyones annoyed hes going the next they moan hes hes coming back
moaning he is going and moaning he is coming back are two separate arguments

how can we know what the landscape of the game and his personal form/fitness will be in 2-3 years time?

That aside JB is not a marquee player - he's a very good player but he's limited he basically runs really hard and his defence is excellent. He has little to no passing kicking skills though
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

First Try Tickle wrote:I want his agent working for me.

My client is going to leave you and go and join another team for 2-3 years. But if it doesn't work out he will return here on an increase in wages, and a 3 year contract.

Was anyone from Wigan in this meeting as it all seems one way.
You echo my sentiments entirely. Why are we still giving players a get out clause on their Aussie move? It's not been a success yet.

If Bateman was having doubts about going the offer he has been made to come back as the marquee signing would tip the balance. It's a risk free move for him because he will know even if he comes back on one leg IL will sign him just to show how "clever" he's been striking the deal.

I am sure some will say we'd be kicking ourselves if he came back an even better player and went to another club but so what? In the meantime the club should be looking to fill the gap he leaves such that we do not need to re-sign him.

The contract isn't worth the paper it's written on anyway. If he wants to sign another contract in Australia after this one is up, he will. What is the club going to do about it? Apply for his extradition?

I have no problem with Bateman going. He's honoured his contract and his new club have coughed up the fee but that should be the end of it. If in three years he becomes available Wigan should consider making a move to sign him on its merits at the time. Not tie itself to signing him regardless.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
how can we know what the landscape of the game and his personal form/fitness will be in 2-3 years time?
Exactly. The marquee rule may not even exist in 2-3 years time.

The club tying itself to signing a player 2-3 years in the future is a needless risk.
si_bax

Post by si_bax »

DaveO wrote:
First Try Tickle wrote:I want his agent working for me.

My client is going to leave you and go and join another team for 2-3 years. But if it doesn't work out he will return here on an increase in wages, and a 3 year contract.

Was anyone from Wigan in this meeting as it all seems one way.
You echo my sentiments entirely. Why are we still giving players a get out clause on their Aussie move? It's not been a success yet.

If Bateman was having doubts about going the offer he has been made to come back as the marquee signing would tip the balance. It's a risk free move for him because he will know even if he comes back on one leg IL will sign him just to show how "clever" he's been striking the deal.

I am sure some will say we'd be kicking ourselves if he came back an even better player and went to another club but so what? In the meantime the club should be looking to fill the gap he leaves such that we do not need to re-sign him.

The contract isn't worth the paper it's written on anyway. If he wants to sign another contract in Australia after this one is up, he will. What is the club going to do about it? Apply for his extradition?

I have no problem with Bateman going. He's honoured his contract and his new club have coughed up the fee but that should be the end of it. If in three years he becomes available Wigan should consider making a move to sign him on its merits at the time. Not tie itself to signing him regardless.
Surely as part of his deal Wigan could have first refusal if he is to come back to Superleague. This type of deal has been done before and I am not sure why this hasnt been done now, honestly never seen anything quite like it and it doesnt make much sense.

The club are trying to come off as if they are playing the long game whereas it is very narrow sighted. we cant really bring a young player through who knows he wont have a first team place in 3 years time. We will also struggle to attract the quality of player to replace JB as we dont seem to throw that type of money around for a like for like replacement
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The more you think about the deal the more ludicrous it becomes,unless Lenegan has become mystic meg we simply don’t know what the team will need in the future,it’s utter madness to tie the side down like this and if he is a success and decides not to come home what then?

As Dave says can they go for extraction of course not,this is a deal or more likely. a press release to try and take the sting out of Batemans going,it hasn’t worked though it’s made them look weak in my opinion
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

You wont know if its egg on the face or a brilliant idea until it happens but its very rare a player will lose the level of class bateman is at the age of 27-28. Its like a work secondment you go to the new job for a set period then return to your old role.

I'm less concerned about this than when we signed tomkins as his postition is less reliant on speed and he will be under 30 still.

I wonder if the announcement could be a player swap deal we get a player for 2-3 years in return from the nrl ????
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.