smoking ban

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MarkWestStand

Re: smoking ban

Post by MarkWestStand »

As being one of the younger element in the west stand I can only voice my concern over the blanket & duvet ban, lets home they don't take it too far.

I will miss the flasks of Tea and cheese butties wrapped in foil that most of the residents of the West Stand Care home bring with them.

The oldies are the funniest bunch ever ,they have me in creases with laughter every week. The blokes behind me are a abit like Waldorf and Saddler out of the Muppet Show !

I thought the smoking was resticted to the seating areas only as a compromise, I dont smoke but an area should be designated for them to be able to It will just end up with lower crowds
Champions

Post by Champions »

MarkWestStand posted:
As being one of the younger element in the west stand I can only voice my concern over the blanket & duvet ban, lets home they don't take it too far.

I will miss the flasks of Tea and cheese butties wrapped in foil that most of the residents of the West Stand Care home bring with them.

The oldies are the funniest bunch ever ,they have me in creases with laughter every week. The blokes behind me are a abit like Waldorf and Saddler out of the Muppet Show !

I thought the smoking was resticted to the seating areas only as a compromise, I dont smoke but an area should be designated for them to be able to It will just end up with lower crowds
I don't really think the crowds will go down......Well I hope they don't. No offence to anyone who smokes on here, but if someone can't not have a cig for 80mins plus a short break,they have a real problem!
........and on the 8th day, God made Wigan Warriors!
fishpot

Post by fishpot »

I must admit that i agree, 80 minutes is not a long time, and if they can't last that long I do feel sorry for them. My grief is that it is just another freedom being taken away.
What is wrong with letting them have a smoke in the concorse at half time in designated areas.
I go back to my original comment that they will lose a lot of revenue because smoker will not go in until the last minute and probably leave early. Perpetuating the "Wigan walk" myth.
Ooops, got a little bit carried away there.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

pie eaters posted:
If you have to have a cig and cant do without one then you are a complete idiot
Pie Eaters, I have asked you a couple of time now, STOP being abusive to people or I will start to edit or delete your posts. Thank you, Rob.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

My personal opinion on the smoking matter is that people should have a choice. The choice of whether they want to inhale smoke or whether they don't want to inhale smoke.

Banning smoking in public areas gives both parties a choice. Those that don't like smoke are happy and those that like to inhale smoke can choose to go elsewhere.

I don't see it as removing peoples rights as there would still be a choice. Although it's a difficult one at the JJB as there are not really any segregated areas where non-smokers can avoid.

One thing that does annoy me on this matter is when smokers strongly defend their right to smoke where ever they want. I find this quite thoughtless to people that may suffer from asthma or similar problems (not as a result of smoking) because it gives them no choice.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

pie eaters posted:
If you have to have a cig and cant do without one then you are a complete idiot
Just had a brilliant money making scheme. We sell patches outside the ground. Wed make a fortune by the end of the season. We get them in teams colours.

When we play the Saints we make sure there used patches. Theyd be suicidal wanting a fag by half time.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

You go to rugby to watch rugby not to smoke so it shouldn't make any differance.

Personally I think smoking should be banned out right in Britain because smoking has no benefits whats so ever and it effects other people. It's not a good idea to kill yourself and killing other people is murder so why smoke.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

[quote]adrenalinxx posted:
You go to rugby to watch rugby not to smoke so it shouldn't make any differance.[quote]

Try telling that to the bloke who sits about 2 or 3 rows in front of me in the east stand.

He smokes the most disgusting ciggies I have had the misfortune of being anywhere near.

The smoke tends to waft back up the stand toward me and I am sure there are going to be quite a few people in my region of the stand pleased with the ban due to this one bloke!

Dave
Welski

Post by Welski »

I really don't have a problem if people want to enjoy something that is obviously bad for them. They now know the risks although perhaps are not fully aware of the slow and painful death that likely awaits them.
However I do have a problem when it is inflicted on me. Ban Smoking in public full stop. If tobacco had been discovered yesterday it would be classified alongside other carcinogenic and dangerous substances It certainly wouldnt be promoted as an acceptable activity (in England) as this Government has recently done with the fudged ban. (Thanks largly to a Scottish MP)

As for the suggestion of setting aside "smoking areas" that makes about as much sense as having a "urination zone" in a swimming pool.

Rant over - I'm off outside for a fag.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Welski posted:
As for the suggestion of setting aside "smoking areas" that makes about as much sense as having a "urination zone" in a swimming pool.
Haha, I like that analogy and I agree with you, I made the suggestion as some sort of compromise. There is only one thing more annoying than having to walk through a wall of smoke on the edge of non-smoking areas... and that's being in a smoke filled room.