Shorrocks hoping to shine

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Shorrocks hoping to shine

Post by josie andrews »

Jake Shorrocks on his hopes of cementing a place in Wigan’s First Team in 2019.

Half-back wants to impress Adrian Lam in the Warriors’ final pre-season game at Barrow Raiders on Saturday.

Shorrocks: “Hopefully I can get some more game time and put a good performance together.”
Wigan half-back Jake Shorrocks has stated he wants to stay at Wigan this season and fight for a place in Adrian Lam’s First Team rather than going out on loan.

Since signing a professional deal with the Warriors in 2015, Shorrocks has had three loan spells at Workington Town, Swinton Lions and Salford Red Devils.

And the 23-year-old is optimistic for the upcoming campaign under new Head Coach Lam, as he has another chance to impress in Saturday’s pre-season friendly at Barrow Raiders.

Shorrocks said: “I want to play for Wigan. I’m trying to put my best foot forward in training and in the pre-season games. Hopefully, Lammy (Lam) can see something that I can bring to the team and if I get my shot then it will be great.

“Saturday’s game is another opportunity to show what I can do in front of Lammy, as I also played against London and Salford. He will get to see the boys play another 80 minutes and hopefully I can get some more game time and put a good performance together.”

Shorrocks signed from Wigan St. Pats and progressed through the Wigan Academy into the First Team squad where he made his Super League debut in 2016 against Widnes Vikings.

Since then he has featured just 12 times for the Cherry and Whites, but the stand-off is hopeful of more games in 2019 as he can relate to Lam’s style of play.

Shorrocks added: “It’s about the half-backs directing the team, as we’re the spine of what Lammy wants us to do. Everyone knows their role and what we have to do, but it’s about executing it which is the most important thing.

“He played at half-back during his career, so he thinks like I do. He also gives me little points of advice in training which is really beneficial to me.”

You can stream Wigan’s third and final pre-season game against Barrow live on Wigan TV from 3pm on Saturday. There will also be highlights and post-match interviews available, giving Warriors fans comprehensive coverage that you’ll not find anywhere else.

To sign up today, simply follow THIS LINK. https://tv.wiganwarriors.com/account

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019 ... wdX8C6W.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
First Try Tickle

Re: Shorrocks hoping to shine

Post by First Try Tickle »

I thought he was disappointing when on loan at Salford.

He has to be behind Tommy, Sammut and Woods, so it will really take a lot to get good game time.

And I think Harry Smith is going to be knocking on the door pretty soon.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Harry Smith definitely! If George eventually decides he wants to go to the NRL, he’d be my first choice replacement 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I'd already be putting Harry Smith ahead of Shorrocks in the pecking order and I'd say he's probably ahead of Woods too. It's a shame that Shorrocks isn't keen on a loan deal because it seems like he'll have a tough job breaking into the side unless there are injuries. A loan deal or permanent move to the Championship could be a better option. We've seen before with players like Lee Gaskell that it's not the end of a players Super League hopes and that going down a level can actually help young players get the game time and consistency needed to improve.

I do hope he can find some form though. He looked like another future star in the under 19's. He had a good running game, good hands but was also tough enough to fill in at hooker for the first team.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

There is a clear pecking order but IMO it’s all up for grabs this season I am sure Lam will not be afraid to change the half back pairing when needed and give someone like Shorrocks a run if he feels fit.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame