Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO
Posts: 14039
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by DaveO » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Caboosegg wrote:amusingly this read like a comment about a recent ex wigan coach :D

The 52 year old is a no-nonsense operator who takes few prisoners on the training field, at the same time he is a deeply thoughtful man motivated to improve his players.
'Shaun is a very honest guy, he'll tell you when you've messed up and he'll praise you when you do well. He's a guy who cares deeply about seeing guys improve. He's so passionate and the guys love that. I loved working under Shaun. You'd come in on a Monday after a game and he'd have your name up on a projector and the critique of every players. He's a tough taskmaster but a genuine bloke, it didn't make for pretty reading at times.

lets hope he brings this back to Wigan
Bring it back? We never had that under Wane. The evidence is his faith in Powell. The idea Wane would have had his name up on projector doesn’t wash. First name on the team sheet regardless.

If Edwards does come and does this I think more than just Powell is in for a rude awakening. Be interesting to see how the players respond when they find out they aren’t as good as they think they are.

The past coach that I think Edwards has most in common with is John Monie. Another who would not suffer fools gladly but made a point of not being mates with the players or their families.

ian.birchall
Posts: 3002
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:42 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by ian.birchall » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Another big write up in todays DT with Danny Cipriani praising him to high heaven. 'Shaun is a hugely intelligent man, don't be fooled by the fact that he looks like he could start a fight at any second, he has a ridiculous set of winners medals as a player and a coach. That doesn't happen by accident As well as being a defensive technician, he was a brilliant ball player himself so he knows all the finesses'
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.


Now Europe is just for holidays.

stevo38
Posts: 583
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:02 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by stevo38 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:47 pm

i think powell has to be on borrowed time now ,not a case of if he goes but when .trouble is who would want him .hes definatley not super league quality .

pearsy
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 5:21 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by pearsy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:30 pm

He might have to pull the shirt on again the way Wigan players are playing or leaving even now he be vast improvement on what we've got

southportcdm
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by southportcdm » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:22 pm

The Cipriani article was extremely positive about Shaun's coaching ability. After reading the article, if I'd never heard of Shaun Edwards, I would be hoping that we could convince him to come and coach our team. I'm starting to think that our squad may need a near complete re-vamp after this season and I hope that Shaun is here to carry out the task.

Caboosegg
Posts: 1446
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by Caboosegg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:08 pm

DaveO wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:25 pm
Caboosegg wrote:amusingly this read like a comment about a recent ex wigan coach :D

The 52 year old is a no-nonsense operator who takes few prisoners on the training field, at the same time he is a deeply thoughtful man motivated to improve his players.
'Shaun is a very honest guy, he'll tell you when you've messed up and he'll praise you when you do well. He's a guy who cares deeply about seeing guys improve. He's so passionate and the guys love that. I loved working under Shaun. You'd come in on a Monday after a game and he'd have your name up on a projector and the critique of every players. He's a tough taskmaster but a genuine bloke, it didn't make for pretty reading at times.

lets hope he brings this back to Wigan
Bring it back? We never had that under Wane. The evidence is his faith in Powell. The idea Wane would have had his name up on projector doesn’t wash. First name on the team sheet regardless.

If Edwards does come and does this I think more than just Powell is in for a rude awakening. Be interesting to see how the players respond when they find out they aren’t as good as they think they are.

The past coach that I think Edwards has most in common with is John Monie. Another who would not suffer fools gladly but made a point of not being mates with the players or their families.
Im sorry Davo but multiple players have stated this about wane in interviews, he wss like a mate but if you messed up you new about it.

Just out of curiosity if Edwards does keep Powell by choice will you then think your missing something the coaches see or will you say IL has forced him on SE

I agree with you about powell btw im just curious.
RL's biggest issue is the constant negativity of its own fans.

support verb [ (ENCOURAGE)

"to agree with and give encouragement to someone or something because you want him, her, or it to succeed"

DaveO
Posts: 14039
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:32 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by DaveO » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Well if you agree with me about Powell you can see the faults I and everyone else see. So I can’t see Edwards being blind to his deficiencies. The mystery is what did Wane see in him.

So My point about Wane was that he was blind to Powell’s failings hence my comment about we never had the sort of forensic player evaluation from Wane on Powell that was being described coming from Edwards.

It wouldn’t be a few slides on Powell but an entire Power Point presentation.

Edwards won’t have a choice to keep him as he only recently signed a three year deal. We also know it is IL and Rads who sign the players and given we seem to be making economies it would not surprise me in the slightest that he will get another deal beyond the three years. He will be cheap.

If a miracle happens and Edwards is given a war chest I’d be astonished if he didn’t go for a new no 9.

I suppose there is another possibility and Edwards improves him as a player but you can’t teach pace and I am not sure how much a coach can improve basic skills like passing in an established player but we will hopefully get to find out with Edwards taking up his position as planned next season.

TravellingWarrior
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by TravellingWarrior » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:02 am

DaveO wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 pm

It wouldn’t be a few slides on Powell but an entire Power Point presentation.
Would it therefore be a Powell Point Presentation?

:D :D :D
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.

OAMJSONA
Posts: 2933
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by OAMJSONA » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:35 pm

TravellingWarrior wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:02 am
DaveO wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:07 pm

It wouldn’t be a few slides on Powell but an entire Power Point presentation.
Would it therefore be a Powell Point Presentation?

:D :D :D

More like a full Desktop study me thinks
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White


morley pie eater
Posts: 1315
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Shaun Edwards, Welsh RU Coach

Post by morley pie eater » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Don't want to get into a pointless argument, but, just for the record, we don't all agree about Sam Powell.

I wouldn't rate him as best in the comp, but he's been an essential part of our *Championship-winning* team. Wane's strength was developing a structure around players' abilities rather than starting with some idealised version and trying to make players fit the mould.

He also worked within the limits imposed by affordability and the salary cap, unlike many keyboard warriors who seem to think we're still in the 80s or early 90s, forgetting it led to bankruptcy and losing CP.

Post Reply