Reserve Grade confirmed for 2020

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jobo

Re: Reserve Grade confirmed for 2020

Post by jobo »

jaws1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:58 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:07 pm
jaws1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:43 pm
I does state 11 SL teams so can we say Leeds don't want in Hetherington has been against .
Well there are 11 English sides and one French in SL. So someone at Leeds must have relented

What happens for Catalans though? No mention of them having a reserves
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:00 pm Wigan Warriors Executive Director Kris Radlinski:
“When I was a kid coming through at Wigan Warriors, we had internationals playing in the reserve teams, we had 3,000 to 4,000 people at Central Park watching us”
I think Radders memory must be going! I used to watch the reserves when they played at Central Park and despite some good and often very noisy crowds they never reached four figures!!!!!
They did there was 6000 on when Green Vigo's first played in the A team
There was also a good few thousand when Frankie Parr made his come back from injury back in the 60's.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

jobo wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:32 am
jaws1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:58 pm

Well there are 11 English sides and one French in SL. So someone at Leeds must have relented

What happens for Catalans though? No mention of them having a reserves

I think Radders memory must be going! I used to watch the reserves when they played at Central Park and despite some good and often very noisy crowds they never reached four figures!!!!!
They did there was 6000 on when Green Vigo's first played in the A team
There was also a good few thousand when Frankie Parr made his come back from injury back in the 60's.
8000+ for King Billy's debut
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:00 pm Wigan Warriors Executive Director Kris Radlinski:
When I was a kid coming through at Wigan Warriors, we had internationals playing in the reserve teams, we had 3,000 to 4,000 people at Central Park watching us”
For jaws1/booze hound and jobo

Please read before you post. Did I talk about when you were kids?

The post related to Kris Radlinkski (you know who he is don't you?) explaining the time he used ot play in Wigan's reserves at Central Park

Not Boston. Not Parr. Not Vigo or anyone else you care to drift into history books about. The comments related to Radders and HIS time at the club and the sort of crowds I witnessed at those games at THAT time
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Reserves is massive for Super League, says Wigan Warriors coach Adrian Lam

Adrian Lam says reviving the reserve competition is “massive” for Super League.

The Warriors coach says the current system – in which players too old for the Under-19s picked up game-time on loan or dual-registration for other clubs – was insufficient.

It was confirmed last week the reserves would return next year – a move welcomed by Lam, who began his coaching career with Wigan’s Under-21s and later worked with juniors at Sydney Roosters.

“I think it’s massive for rugby league in this country,” he said. “It’s such a big thing... for this game to keep growing, it needed better pathways.”

He revealed some of the difficulties he has had trying to assess the form of fringe players who are plying their trade in the Championship or League One.

“I’ve seen players at all the clubs they’ve been at – Leigh, Swinton, Dewsbury, London Skolars – and it’s hard,” he said.

“Sometimes the opposition isn’t the best, sometimes the pitches aren’t the greatest, you try and judge them on their actions but it’s difficult.

“The reserves gives them an opportunity to play in our systems, and play alongside players they know – some will be first-teamers who can’t get in – so you can make a much better judgement call.”

The loan and dual-reg options will still be available for 2020 but Lam added: “I just don’t like the idea of them (only having dual-reg). It’s hard to send two or three to play for London Skolars and then expect them to be here at 9am the day later for training.

“But I’m not just thinking selfishly, this a massive step in the right direction.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/reserv ... -1-9899820
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan