Craig Gower!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Martin Taylor

Craig Gower!

Post by Martin Taylor »

I have seen a lot of reports that he has quit Penrith after a number of alcohol fueled incidens, and is looking for a fresh start over here. The timing is a real shame, as maybe next year we would have been in a position to offer him a strong contract, with the departures off Dallas and maybe Seu Seu and Moran. He is an excellent scrum-half, and in my opinion proabably in the top three along with Stacey Jones and Andrew Johns. Imagine the partnership with Trent Barret if that rumour does turn out to come true as well.
I know it would be a long shot, but just imagine if Maurice made this little dream off mine come ture! :D
cpwigan

Re: Craig Gower!

Post by cpwigan »

Is he not a lot of trouble though Martin?

I think he was dropped by NSW for an act of stupidity prior to his latest incident.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Being linked with Cas who seem to be assembling a squad worthy of SL with the capture of Ward from Leeds on a two year deal.

Perhaps the two of them could keep each other company in the pub?

It must be said the Cas forwards look a mtch for any side now so if they added a half back like that they could come from no where to top six contenders overnight.

I am not sure how they can afford it as the salary cap is 50% of income or £1.75 million, whicheve ris the lower and I can't see the RFL accepting Cas are going to turn over in excess if £3.5 million this season.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Good point about Cas Dave O

I think all the props they have signed will serve them well at Wheldon Road but away from home, not sure at all. The squad looks weak in the backline and the back three forwards slow.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

DaveO posted:
I am not sure how they can afford it as the salary cap is 50% of income or £1.75 million, whicheve ris the lower and I can't see the RFL accepting Cas are going to turn over in excess if £3.5 million this season.
Especially when one remembers that the last time Cas were in the top flight they were trying to get all the other clubs to agree to dropping the cap to £1.3m! Unless they've acquired their own Dave Whelan, I can't really see how their financial circumstances can have changed so much in 2 years. They're a small town team with relatively small support and, without being too patronising, hardly the most attractive prospect for investors. They've not got the commercial infrastructure of the big clubs, nor the successful brand names of those big clubs, which I'm assuming was why they wanted the cap levels lowering to a point which was more realistic for themselves and the other small clubs. So where is their money coming from for all these players?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

He probably is a little hell rasier, but what a player he is! A partnership of Gower and Barret is the stuff dreams are made off, and with the pace in the centres and wings, we would be a fantastic attacking side. I know it's a nice dream, but just imagine it!
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

Craig Gower would do just brilliant at Wigan, and he's a real tough little player. I heard the story about Gasnier going to stand-off too. Kind of like what St Helens are doing with Leon Pryce. Lets just hope that this is a strong indication that Barret is on his way to us for nect season.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Gower for us this season would be an improvement but unfortunatly that isnt possible for next season we have Barret who is in my opinion better so we cant profit by this plus if we were to have the two as half backs we would be putting all of our eggs in one basket in terms of quota.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

damien morrissey posted:
Gower for us this season would be an improvement but unfortunatly that isnt possible for next season we have Barret who is in my opinion better so we cant profit by this plus if we were to have the two as half backs we would be putting all of our eggs in one basket in terms of quota.
I'm not sure it is impossible. I heard that he is applying for an EU passport - so he would not count on the overseas quota. Also, what is danny sculthorpe's position - is he still counting against the 20-20 whilst on loan (I would hope not). If he is, there may be a spot there to be made availalbe.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

I don't think that two world class half-backs would be putting all our eggs in one basket. This is the key area of any team and with an already strong pack and a very pacey back-line, two quality half-backs would be the icing on the cake and would make a world of a diffrence. Plus, next year some big contracts will be released in the form of Dallas, Seu Seu, Moran and Vialeki if he does not improve. Maybe Rad's too if he decides to retire. With funds available like this, we would be able to buy at least 3 or 4 big contacts.