An honest Assessment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
acwrlfc

An honest Assessment

Post by acwrlfc »

Being a cricket fan as well as a Rugby League fan, i was intrigued listening to Michael Vaughan this afternoon at the test match. His comments revolved around selection and loyalty.

Basically he said at the highest level you cant have mates and cant keep picking players if fundamettally they are not technically good at the pro level,

For me this was a perfect example of where our great club is falling behind and not just players but coaches as well.

Sport at the highest level needs strong leadership and in KR and Lam the evidence is damming
Nezza Faz

Re: An honest Assessment

Post by Nezza Faz »

acwrlfc wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:42 pm Being a cricket fan as well as a Rugby League fan, i was intrigued listening to Michael Vaughan this afternoon at the test match. His comments revolved around selection and loyalty.

Basically he said at the highest level you cant have mates and cant keep picking players if fundamettally they are not technically good at the pro level,

For me this was a perfect example of where our great club is falling behind and not just players but coaches as well.

Sport at the highest level needs strong leadership and in KR and Lam the evidence is damming
Good post, that's the top and bottom of it. Last year we overachieved, perhaps on the back of Wane's reign, but plummeted downhill rapidly to this point.
Root and branch needed or we'll be fighting relegation next season, unable to win away and can't beat sides with any quality about them.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Sigh.

Your post cannot be an honest assessment as it relies on the jobs for boys culture being true.

We have let plenty of the boys go in season past and both TL and SL have been working towards becoming part of the coaching staff for years.

We had a bit of a clear out when Lam started and sadly many of those players would do us wonders this year.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

The whole recruitment policy has been a disaster, especially when you look at the players we've released against who's come in over the last 2 or 3 years. I know Covid has much to answer for, but other clubs are managing this time better, and these things start at the top.
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

unfortunatley wigan rl have gone down a similar route to the football team get rid of a decent player .then replace them with a cheaper or inexperienced option all these young kids learn from older pros its like an apprentiship but they got no one to learn off
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Nezza Faz wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:20 pm The whole recruitment policy has been a disaster, especially when you look at the players we've released against who's come in over the last 2 or 3 years. I know Covid has much to answer for, but other clubs are managing this time better, and these things start at the top.
The “recruitment”has at best been haphazard at worst inept,how many frikken fullbacks does one club need? For instance,can’t hide behind COVID for my money the clubs been blundering along for a good while not replacing what needed replacing.

I genuinely fear what will happen for the next few season because it’s root and branch clear out that’s needed and an honest assessment of where the club is,but the management simply don’t have the stomach for it frankly.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:36 pm
Nezza Faz wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:20 pm The whole recruitment policy has been a disaster, especially when you look at the players we've released against who's come in over the last 2 or 3 years. I know Covid has much to answer for, but other clubs are managing this time better, and these things start at the top.
The “recruitment”has at best been haphazard at worst inept,how many frikken fullbacks does one club need? For instance,can’t hide behind COVID for my money the clubs been blundering along for a good while not replacing what needed replacing.

I genuinely fear what will happen for the next few season because it’s root and branch clear out that’s needed and an honest assessment of where the club is,but the management simply don’t have the stomach for it frankly.
Root & branch? It wants the whole fecking tree chopping down & replant with a couple of seedlings 🌱🤪
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think recruitment is certainly a very grey area within the club and as I've previously stated, I wonder if it's Ian, Kris or Adrian who have most influence?

To be brief, if we look at Stains, they lose Coote and sign Hopate (regardless of whether Welsby plays FB or not). We are loosing Gildart (excluding his 2021 form), who has been very consistent and we sign Thornley as a replacement. Is he the right option?

I think Sam Powell is another. 90% of people on here (IMO) can see he isn't the right man for 9, we allow a youthful hooker to go and have no-one lined up as an experienced replacement? Surely the club can see Powell is outplayed by the likes of Roby, McShane, Clark etc?

If we are not going to take the 'Wire Man City' approach and try and buy the league, recruitment going forwards make me wonder if we can compete with Stains, Wire, Leeds, Cats etc.

For me what we need, is an experienced centre (could be Thornley), an experienced 7 with Hastings and Lulu going, a fresh outlook at 9 and one or two regular 13's rather than chopping and changing between Bateman, Shorrocks, Partington, Smithies etc. I suppose for me it's around game management going forwards.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Totally agree with Cheshire Warrior except I think we are well covered for the 13 shirt, IMO I think Shorrocks could be the answer. I accept we are in a salary capped sport but if you look at what’s leaving this year, In the forwards we have Bullock, Clubb and possibly Clark which is why we can afford to bring in the Aussie props. Also we never replaced Burgess.

But in the backs we are losing 2 well paid players in Gildart and Hastings, throw in TL, surely, we should be able to afford like for like, especially if we want to compete for trophies. And Miski in for Dom. There was no need to retain Powell as we had Bourouh and Oneill coming through. But we could have taken a punt on Joey Lussick if we really wanted to change things at 9.

Also I know Isa has been a great servant but he is not a centre and we have loads of second row options. Do we really need him next year?.

The same could be said of Bibby we have 2 wingers in Marshall and Miski. But coming through we have Hanley and Halsall. Sometimes Management have to make tough decisions especially in a cash strapped sport like ours. But to win anything you have to have the best pivots available and playing in the right positions at the moment we are falling behind the rest.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Graham1 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:53 pm Totally agree with Cheshire Warrior except I think we are well covered for the 13 shirt, IMO I think Shorrocks could be the answer. I accept we are in a salary capped sport but if you look at what’s leaving this year, In the forwards we have Bullock, Clubb and possibly Clark which is why we can afford to bring in the Aussie props. Also we never replaced Burgess.

But in the backs we are losing 2 well paid players in Gildart and Hastings, throw in TL, surely, we should be able to afford like for like, especially if we want to compete for trophies. And Miski in for Dom. There was no need to retain Powell as we had Bourouh and Oneill coming through. But we could have taken a punt on Joey Lussick if we really wanted to change things at 9.

Also I know Isa has been a great servant but he is not a centre and we have loads of second row options. Do we really need him next year?.

The same could be said of Bibby we have 2 wingers in Marshall and Miski. But coming through we have Hanley and Halsall. Sometimes Management have to make tough decisions especially in a cash strapped sport like ours. But to win anything you have to have the best pivots available and playing in the right positions at the moment we are falling behind the rest.
Yeah let's get rid of our top try scorer who can play both wing and centre.
Surely your point should be why buy miski.

Hanley isn't a winger.

Surely Isa has proved his value this season like he has done every season, its great having lots of option in the back row yet somehow Isa always playing....
He's a machine who doesn't seem to get many injuries, where as our other centres /2nd row seem to need alot of captains run style management.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.