Zak Hardaker explains reasons behind asking for Wigan release and focus for 2022

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Zak Hardaker explains reasons behind asking for Wigan release and focus for 2022

Post by josie andrews »

The 30-year-old's future was under the spotlight during the off-season

Zak Hardaker has admitted he did ask Wigan Warriors about exploring the possibility of a move to another Super League club in 2022 - but insists that after remaining at the club, his full focus is on lifting silverware under new coach Matty Peet.

Hardaker's future was the subject of intense scrutiny towards the end of last season. The England international was reportedly interested in a move back to Yorkshire to be closer to his family following the birth of his son.

That ultimately failed to materialise, and Hardaker has now admitted there were conversations about a release from the DW Stadium.

"Yeah, I asked to go home," he told Rugby League Live.

My partner wasn't keen on moving over this way, so I found it difficult having a newborn and doing the travel. I understood it from her perspective without a doubt.

"I asked the club about the possibility of it, but I didn't stomp my feet on the ground. We had a good talk about it all, I finished the season, nothing transpired and I'm now just concentrating on this year. I want to be part of this club this year, I promise everyone that."

Having had a break in the off-season, Hardaker insists he is fully focused on the final year of his contract at Wigan being a success. While he was coy on what the future could hold beyond this season, he stressed that his priority is new to help the Warriors return to the winner's circle after a disappointing two seasons at the club so far in terms of silverware.

I've been asked what the goals are this season, but if you sign for this club the challenge is automatically to win something," he said. "The League Leader's Shield.. it's like winning a silver medal really in comparison to the other things. The chairman constantly targets the Challenge Cup and I'd love that myself.

There's a World Cup at the end of this year but I don't want to look too far ahead. This is an important year for this club and I want to be a part of it.

"The group is really strong and it's great to see the development of it over this pre-season. Everyone is encouraged to have a voice here and we're told to speak up and say what we're feeling. It's a big year for the club, and a big year for me obviously with having one year left."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-22968168
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Re: Zak Hardaker explains reasons behind asking for Wigan release and focus for 2022

Post by widdenoldboy »

That sounds reasonable and hopefully Zak can focus on this season giving his all to Wigan.
fozzieskem

Re: Zak Hardaker explains reasons behind asking for Wigan release and focus for 2022

Post by fozzieskem »

I said at the time plenty do that murderous drive home across the hills day every day and while I certainly understand him wanting to be nearer home he's got a year left on his deal,he's been so well behavioured in his time here,compared to his other clubs why not just sick it up a d look to move at the ned of the season?

For all that I'm glad he's staying and honestly hope he ends his career here
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I take it from that, that his neck is fixed now? That’s good. I hope that we can keep him, as he good to watch, and has stood up to be counted on the pitch for us. Who knows, he might even reflect on what the club has done to help him and find a way to work it out. Looking forward to seeing him in action.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Matty Peet going to have a big headache when every one fit picking full back/centre.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

jaws1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:21 pm Matty Peet going to have a big headache when every one fit picking full back/centre.
Really?

1 - French
2 - Marshall
3 - Hardaker
4 - Thornley
5 - Bibby / Field / Miski

Not much if a head ache if you ask me.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:34 pm
jaws1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:21 pm Matty Peet going to have a big headache when every one fit picking full back/centre.
Really?

1 - French
2 - Marshall
3 - Hardaker
4 - Thornley

I think KPP will feature heavily in the Centres, I also think Field/French from time to time will play in the halves or on the wings as well as full back. (providing French comes back) Is it really the end of the world if he doesn't? Especially if Field kicks on this year.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:34 pm
Really?

1 - French
2 - Marshall
3 - Hardaker
4 - Thornley

Whats a good headache - a hangover? :)

1 - French / Hardaker / Field / Hanley
2 - Marshall / Bibby / Eckersley / French
3 - Hardaker / Bibby / Halsall
4 - Thornley / KPP
5 - Bibby / Field / Miski / Thornley
6 - Cust / French / Field
7 - Tommy / Smith
Last edited by widdenoldboy on Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

I liked the line up in the first half against Wire with Thornley running strong on the wing and KPP in the centre the only addition being Hardacre if he is fit. I think this will give a good mix of size and power plus with the speed of Field and Marshall I think may may well cause more problems than we did last year.
Which wouldn't be difficult I know.

I would like to see this team for the first game against HKR.

1 Field, 2 Thornley, 3 KPP, 4 Hardacre, 5 Marshall 6 Cust 7 Leuluai
8 Mago, 9 Powell, 10 Singleton, 11 Bateman, 12 Farrell, 13 Shorrocks
14 Smith, 15 Ellis, 16 Partington, 17 Smithies.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

eaststandspy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:28 pm I liked the line up in the first half against Wire with Thornley running strong on the wing and KPP in the centre the only addition being Hardacre if he is fit. I think this will give a good mix of size and power plus with the speed of Field and Marshall I think may may well cause more problems than we did last year.
Which wouldn't be difficult I know.

I would like to see this team for the first game against HKR.

1 Field, 2 Thornley, 3 KPP, 4 Hardacre, 5 Marshall 6 Cust 7 Leuluai
8 Mago, 9 Powell, 10 Singleton, 11 Bateman, 12 Farrell, 13 Shorrocks
14 Smith, 15 Ellis, 16 Partington, 17 Smithies.
Good shout, I'll suggest this one that has KPP roaming wide from 2nd row

1 Field, 2 Thornley, 3 Bibby, 4 Hardacre, 5 Marshall 6 Cust 7 Leuluai
8 Mago, 9 Powell, 10 Singleton, 11 KPP, 12 Farrell, 13 Bateman
14 Smith, 15 Ellis, 16 Shorrocks, 17 Smithies.