Rugby league legend Martin Offiah names Wigan as the greatest team in the history of the sport

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: Rugby league legend Martin Offiah names Wigan as the greatest team in the history of the sport

Post by the pieman »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:18 am
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:24 pm
HDS wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:28 am I agree with Martin that Wigan is the greatest team, the trophy count and name world wide makes the statement valid for me.
I have watched Wigan since 1970 and Martin is the best winger I have seen playing for Wigan! In my own
personal best ever Wigan 13 Martin is my number 5 without hesitation didn't have to think twice .

it would annoy me when some would say he is just faster then everyone, there was much more to his game then just pace. Although Martin was not an aggressive player the foul play he had to endure from opponents
showed how tough he was . I always remember Alan Hunte and a few more trying to put him out of the game.
Well there is no doubt that his greatest attribute was pace. He did, however, have a knack for spotting the opportunity. Of course he was blessed to have some of the best centres ever to pull a cherry and white jersey on his inside.

That being said, he was probably the best winger that I have seen.

I never saw Boston, and I know it's hard to compare different generations but I am willing to bet he wouldn't have been as successful in this era. He wouldn't be barging his way over 11 stone wingers.

I think it's fair to say Offiah WOULD still be scooting past 16 stone wingers.
I have been blessed to see both Boston and offiah. Play. Boston is and always will be my hero. offiah was poetry in motion you knew if there was the smallest of gaps he was through it and once in open space nothing and no one would catch him. Interestingly when asked about the best centre he ever played with he says it's Darren Wright at widnes.
that bit is interesting. i'm not saying its not right as Darren Wright was a good player but Gene Miles spoon fed Offiah for the season he was over here :)

In terms of wingers i have seen at Wigan, IMO Offiah is certainly head and shoulders above the rest, and we have been blessed with some fantastic wingers over the years. He probably wasnt as accomplished all round as some of the others, but give him 1/2 inch and he was gone, and i dont think i have seen a winger go round someone on the outside like he did
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Rugby league legend Martin Offiah names Wigan as the greatest team in the history of the sport

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

the pieman wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:53 pm

Well there is no doubt that his greatest attribute was pace. He did, however, have a knack for spotting the opportunity. Of course he was blessed to have some of the best centres ever to pull a cherry and white jersey on his inside.

I never saw Boston, and I know it's hard to compare different generations but I am willing to bet he wouldn't have been as successful in this era. He wouldn't be barging his way over 11 stone wingers.

I have been blessed to see both Boston and offiah. Play. Boston is and always will be my hero. offiah was poetry in motion you knew if there was the smallest of gaps he was through it and once in open space nothing and no one would catch him. Interestingly when asked about the best centre he ever played with he says it's Darren Wright at widnes.
that bit is interesting. i'm not saying its not right as Darren Wright was a good player but Gene Miles spoon fed Offiah for the season he was over here :)

In terms of wingers i have seen at Wigan, IMO Offiah is certainly head and shoulders above the rest, and we have been blessed with some fantastic wingers over the years. He probably wasnt as accomplished all round as some of the others, but give him 1/2 inch and he was gone, and i dont think i have seen a winger go round someone on the outside like he did
I think Offiahs most tries in a season 57 was at widnes with wright his centre and think he got 15 that season they where a formidable partnership. I attended a dinner where he was asked the question his reply was instant Darren wright without doubt.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:05 pm

I think Offiahs most tries in a season 57 was at widnes with wright his centre and think he got 15 that season they where a formidable partnership. I attended a dinner where he was asked the question his reply was instant Darren wright without doubt.
i reckon i have done Wright a bit of dis-service there then. I knew he was a good player, and wasnt disputing what Offiah had said, just didnt realise how good the stats were for them when playing together
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

[*]
the pieman wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:17 am

i reckon i have done Wright a bit of dis-service there then. I knew he was a good player, and wasnt disputing what Offiah had said, just didnt realise how good the stats were for them when playing together
Maybe Darren Wright was Offiah's "favourite" centre, but in all honestly Gene Miles was clearly the better centre!
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:58 pm [*]
the pieman wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:17 am

Maybe Darren Wright was Offiah's "favourite" centre, but in all honestly Gene Miles was clearly the better centre!
so was farrar but for getting his winger away he wasnt
saint

Post by saint »

HDS wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:28 am I agree with Martin that Wigan is the greatest team, the trophy count and name world wide makes the statement valid for me.
I have watched Wigan since 1970 and Martin is the best winger I have seen playing for Wigan! In my own
personal best ever Wigan 13 Martin is my number 5 without hesitation didn't have to think twice .

it would annoy me when some would say he is just faster then everyone, there was much more to his game then just pace. Although Martin was not an aggressive player the foul play he had to endure from opponents
showed how tough he was . I always remember Alan Hunte and a few more trying to put him out of the game.

Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

One thing is for sure, John Bentley was his favourite opposition winger :D . Lest we forget, Bentley was an England international.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

saint wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:42 am

Boston was the best.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Having seen Brian Bevan albeit at the end of his career he would have given Offiah a run for his money.