Squad for Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fujiman

Re: Squad for Leeds

Post by Fujiman »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:46 pm No coach, especially a new one, is going to make wholesale changes after one game: Miski? Dream on!

The only question, barring training ground injuries, is who replaces Thornley.

I like the way Peet has eased Hardaker in. Bench last week, wing this. I suspect there's a message being sent.
:D why dream on. Winger for winger and versatility of Zak on the bench
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Fujiman wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:53 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:46 pm No coach, especially a new one, is going to make wholesale changes after one game: Miski? Dream on!

I like the way Peet has eased Hardaker in. Bench last week, wing this. I suspect there's a message being sent.
As I mentioned, Peet had already said Hardaker will come in on the wing to replace Thornley.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Fujiman wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:53 pm

I think the answer to your question is in my first sentence.

If Peet starts dropping players who haven't played badly, what effect would that have on the squad? We've played ONE game, we won! Then we get the usual "I'd bring in X for Y" stuff from armchair coaches.

Miski was just an example. My point is that Peet picked a team including a number of new players, some in key positions. It did pretty much what he asked of it in the first match. Players need time to get used to a new club, new team-mates, a different game plan. How can anybody seriously suggest that he should start juggling around with his selection now????

What we need to do is analyse what went to plan, what didn't, look at Leeds' performance v Wire, and send the same lads, barring enforced changes, out to build on the performance against Rovers. The only reason to make a change, other than Thornley's injury, would be if he feels that the different styles of HKR and Leeds require a different approach.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
oval balls

Post by oval balls »

For me I wouldn’t be surprised if miski is played against tolouse
The guy has never played at super league level so it may be a way of easing him into playing at a higher intensity
Also smith is coming back from an operation so he may play in the same game and rest Tommy
Just a thought
wigans turning blue- my arse

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

oval balls wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:09 am For me I wouldn’t be surprised if miski is played against tolouse
The guy has never played at super league level so it may be a way of easing him into playing at a higher intensity
Also smith is coming back from an operation so he may play in the same game and rest Tommy
Just a thought
But he has played 6 NRL games for Manly, Surely 6 NRL games are more intense than 1 SL game
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

oval balls wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:09 am For me I wouldn’t be surprised if miski is played against tolouse
Just a thought
I think there will be a number of changes for the Toulouse game.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I would imagine we'd go big on the bench too for this one. As for Shorrocks, I think there is a fair chance he will be our long-term 13, but there's plenty of time for that.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Theres a big shout for a big bench but theres also a big shout for a good kicking game…… maybe smith coming on would give us more direction in this area….. the other side is defence which tommy has the big advantage…… the only other option is tommy to hooker but i highly doubt that…… decisions decisions
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:41 pm Theres a big shout for a big bench but theres also a big shout for a good kicking game…… maybe smith coming on would give us more direction in this area….. the other side is defence which tommy has the big advantage…… the only other option is tommy to hooker but i highly doubt that…… decisions decisions
You don’t really bring a player on for their kicking game. It’s impossible to predict when in the game we are going to be needing possession / long kicking.

On your basis you should start Smith because the opening 10 mins are often an arm wrestle and possession game.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:21 pm
Firestarter wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:41 pm Theres a big shout for a big bench but theres also a big shout for a good kicking game…… maybe smith coming on would give us more direction in this area….. the other side is defence which tommy has the big advantage…… the only other option is tommy to hooker but i highly doubt that…… decisions decisions
You don’t really bring a player on for their kicking game. It’s impossible to predict when in the game we are going to be needing possession / long kicking.

On your basis you should start Smith because the opening 10 mins are often an arm wrestle and possession game.
Im thinking more of conditions which a kicking game will give us more advantage….. obviously he wont be on the bench long…… its a hard one to choose thats for sure
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE