Wigan vs Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Wigan vs Leeds

Post by morley pie eater »

I find it sad that, despite such a good start to the season, it still seems necessary for some to continue the moaning about Sam Powell.

Matty Peet and his coaching team clearly have confidence in Sam at the moment. Barring injury, we'll see if that continues as the weeks roll on. But of course, they're either blind or daft, or Wane (whose "love child" Sam appears to be) has put pressure on the weak-willed coaches.

Powell gets a mention on the stats thread too. I looked up the stats and found the following. (SL stats only show top 20 players in each category, so these are the ones he features in. And, yes, I know it's after just 2 games, but so are the complaints.)

Tries: 7th=
Tackles: 2nd=
Marker Tackles: 17th=
Runs from Dummy Half: 7th=
Errors: 4th=

And I'm not a member of Sam's fan club. Those of us who defend him do so, I believe, because we think he gets disproportionately and persistently criticised by certain posters.

Give the lad a break, for goodness sake. You don't need a whipping boy when we're winning and entertaining.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:21 pm I find it sad that, despite such a good start to the season, it still seems necessary for some to continue the moaning about Sam Powell.

Matty Peet and his coaching team clearly have confidence in Sam at the moment. Barring injury, we'll see if that continues as the weeks roll on. But of course, they're either blind or daft, or Wane (whose "love child" Sam appears to be) has put pressure on the weak-willed coaches.

Powell gets a mention on the stats thread too. I looked up the stats and found the following. (SL stats only show top 20 players in each category, so these are the ones he features in. And, yes, I know it's after just 2 games, but so are the complaints.)

And I'm not a member of Sam's fan club. Those of us who defend him do so, I believe, because we think he gets disproportionately and persistently criticised by certain posters.

Give the lad a break, for goodness sake. You don't need a whipping boy when we're winning and entertaining.
Great post Morley.

I’m tired of the same one eyed moans about Powell,no he’s no world beater but he is what he is and coach after coach continue to pick him,week in,week out time to move on and enjoy what hopefully Peet and the coaching team are bringing long may it continue.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I cannot stand the two veins of reply on Powell

1) leave him alone people have moaned - that’s like saying leave Boris alone now because we’ve all had enough of a moan at him. If he’s poor and continues to be poor then the criticism should continue with performances that’s sport wake up and get with it. Powell was ok in the first match he was saved in the second match by a second half because he threw some terrible passes in the first half

2) coaches continue to pick him- but they don’t when they have a choice Shaun wane proved this when he took over England 4-5 hookers selected and Powell wasn’t one of them

We only have 1 senior Hooker at Wigan which has been the case since Micky Mac left so just because coaches pick him doesn’t mean they would pick him with better options

Powell will be ok as long as the team around him perform that’s what makes the diff between average and very good players - roby for example carried saints on his own for 2-3 seasons a few years back powell could never change a game he will never get us out a hole he will never dominate- he will do a job in a well performing team -

He is average at best at that’s the end of it - he is average because he lacks any distinct quality to raise him above that level. Luckily this year we have what looks like a really good team so it won’t matter as much but that doesn’t change who he is or what he gjves
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:14 am I cannot stand the two veins of reply on Powell

1) leave him alone people have moaned - that’s like saying leave Boris alone now because we’ve all had enough of a moan at him. If he’s poor and continues to be poor then the criticism should continue with performances that’s sport wake up and get with it. Powell was ok in the first match he was saved in the second match by a second half because he threw some terrible passes in the first half

2) coaches continue to pick him- but they don’t when they have a choice Shaun wane proved this when he took over England 4-5 hookers selected and Powell wasn’t one of them

We only have 1 senior Hooker at Wigan which has been the case since Micky Mac left so just because coaches pick him doesn’t mean they would pick him with better options

Powell will be ok as long as the team around him perform that’s what makes the diff between average and very good players - roby for example carried saints on his own for 2-3 seasons a few years back powell could never change a game he will never get us out a hole he will never dominate- he will do a job in a well performing team -

He is average at best at that’s the end of it - he is average because he lacks any distinct quality to raise him above that level. Luckily this year we have what looks like a really good team so it won’t matter as much but that doesn’t change who he is or what he gjves
Well said. Because we look a better team or at least players around Powell make him look better. It doesn’t make him exempt from his lack of ability or criticism he recieves. People also need to remember as well we are criticising him of as a rugby player, it’s not a personal attack about his person
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:13 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:14 am I cannot stand the two veins of reply on Powell

Well said. Because we look a better team or at least players around Powell make him look better. It doesn’t make him exempt from his lack of ability or criticism he recieves. People also need to remember as well we are criticising him of as a rugby player, it’s not a personal attack about his person
The point is its all one way though.

Vs KR he was scooting (I was shocked to) and Vs leeds he scored 2 tries the first one he saw the gap called for it and got the try.

However the same tired theme appears after the leeds Match because he made a couple of errors.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:45 am
Barney841 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:13 am

The point is its all one way though.

Vs KR he was scooting (I was shocked to) and Vs leeds he scored 2 tries the first one he saw the gap called for it and got the try.

However the same tired theme appears after the leeds Match because he made a couple of errors.
I don’t think it’s just that when you play someone with a good hooker(LEEMING) you just think why can’t we have a hooker like that?
And it had been a long time since we’ve had that with the persistence of powell. I just hope they give this O’Neil a good run out
Wigwambam

Post by Wigwambam »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:21 pm I find it sad that, despite such a good start to the season, it still seems necessary for some to continue the moaning about Sam Powell.

Yes this is disgraceful behaviour coming from SPECTATORS , sam is in the team as the coaches put him there ,were is it you think you're right and the coaches wrong . Ive been reading the slagging off of players he's no good i would pick this i would play that , you are forgetting you are an arm chair coach with know qualifications what so ever ,and proberly not even played the game ,but wigan should listen to you as you know best . if sam or any other player is picked by his coaches that is there choice a choice they are paid to do and are qualified to .just enjoy the winning its obvious there isnt a round peg in a square hole out there .the players are doing exactly whats been asked of them.or they wouldnt be out there .if a coach decides to go with what ever player back his judgment and support your team .
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:25 pm

Great post Morley.

I’m tired of the same one eyed moans about Powell,no he’s no world beater but he is what he is and coach after coach continue to pick him,week in,week out time to move on and enjoy what hopefully Peet and the coaching team are bringing long may it continue.
+1 to both posts 👏🏼
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigwambam wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:59 am

Yes this is disgraceful behaviour coming from SPECTATORS , sam is in the team as the coaches put him there ,were is it you think you're right and the coaches wrong . Ive been reading the slagging off of players he's no good i would pick this i would play that , you are forgetting you are an arm chair coach with know qualifications what so ever ,and proberly not even played the game ,but wigan should listen to you as you know best . if sam or any other player is picked by his coaches that is there choice a choice they are paid to do and are qualified to .just enjoy the winning its obvious there isnt a round peg in a square hole out there .the players are doing exactly whats been asked of them.or they wouldnt be out there .if a coach decides to go with what ever player back his judgment and support your team .
Well said. But sadly there are “supporters” out there who always know better than the coaches!

Someone posted that their criticisms are not personal! Well it appears that way because it is non stop!

We always seem to have a whipping boy! Are we the only club to do this?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:10 am
Wigwambam wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:59 am

Well said. But sadly there are “supporters” out there who always know better than the coaches!

Someone posted that their criticisms are not personal! Well it appears that way because it is non stop!

We always seem to have a whipping boy! Are we the only club to do this?
Again the coaches picking argument - we have 1 senior hooker in the club - 1 thats it.

If i were coaching Wigan i would pick Sam Powell too that doesn't mean i wouldn't of brought a different hooker in if i could have. That's the same as giving a builder only lego to build a house and then saying "well lego must be the best way to build a house because look at this guy he's built his house from it, you must all know better than him"

Again trying to make it personal too - its not personal is it, no-one has a bad word to say about Sam the person. Making out like its personal is a horrible way of trying to make people feel bad for saying what they think.

The reason peoples points are so consistently aired is because they are consistently experienced.

I will continue to hold the same view on Sam until i see something that changes my view. Ive never said he is a terrible player, but we could improve in that position and its such as key position i think we should
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure