V Catalan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Re: DISGRACEFUL

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Name the players who you think are good enough to compete with Snake Helens?

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Thought we never got over the first 20 mins with Cats getting repeat sets and pens.
It then went down hill from there.
We certainly need a wet day game plan as well as the usual dry day game plan.
Cats had a plan for our move from scrum with Field hitting gaps at pace. They shut that one down soon enough.
Too many mistakes compared to Catalans who made very few.

Some years ago we went for the week prior to playing Catalan and in that game we got hammered. Next time we travel on both game days.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:24 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:20 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:11 pm Can't say it hasn't been coming can we?
Reminds me of Wakefield before Smith took over, no handling skills.

Expected a response to last week but we obviously haven't had one.

I know it sounds bad but I'm tempted to give the Derby a miss I don't my day/evening ruining, if we can't even stay in a game with Catalan who have done nothing special.
I feel you're being very unfair catalan are a very good side,one that for my money ey be there or there abouts with Saints at GF time because they are the 2 best teams in the comp.

I wouldn't have had a jolly up in France for the last couple of weeks nothing like being grounded after a poor performance by coming home but that's just me.
Good assessment. We are in a transition period and once we faced a top side would struggle. Saints and Cat will share all prices they are step above. We lost first game and the toys go flying out of the pram by some.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Honestly, I didn’t see it as being remotely as worrying as last year. Our props dented their line much more, and we have already seen plenty from KPP, Field and Cust in attack to feel confident this year will be far more entertaining (with French to come in soon). We can eliminate unforced errors, and daft penalties, and we will play in drier conditions.
Catalans are perfectly set up to play against a team gifting them field position in wet conditions. I think we will be a completely different proposition against Cas.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Outplayed today, very sloppy from us and Catalans did the basics spot on.
Nobody seems to have mentioned Bateman? I feel like he’s stealing a living at the moment, shadow of his former self since he’s been back.
Also Byrne and smithies are not good enough, I couldn’t care a less if they’ve come through the academy.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Catalan did nothing special at all, we gave them most of those points through our own errors or giving away needless penalties. I’m not a fan of the refs this season either, far too strict. High shots given when it’s over the shoulder and cards galore for things that don’t need sending offs for, for me it’s spoiling the game, making it less physical. I think overall the props have been better this year but there’s still some way to go, for me singleton is easily the weakest link. In the past I’ve been Brynes biggest critic but I’ve been impressed with him so far, much improved. Time for peet to show us all why he’s head coach because sadly that woeful display just isn’t good enough.
saint

Post by saint »

ddtftf wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:47 pm Cade Cust is nothing like he was built up to be not involved in the game
Was Wigan fans who built him up , everyone said Cade who ? Keep listening to Martin Offiah ✌️
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Very poor performance.

So many mistakes at the wrong parts of the field either gave them possession on our line or let off pressure when we eventually got in field position.

Very little attacking ideas shown this week, but I think this was more to do with conditions and with giving the ball away cheaply far too often

Difficult to make a fair judgement when we made so many mistakes - rather than go OTT I think I'll see how we go next week.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

thegimble wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:29 pm

I know it sounds bad but I'm tempted to give the Derby a miss I don't my day/evening ruining, if we can't even stay in a game with Catalan who have done nothing special.
I feel you're being very unfair catalan are a very good side,one that for my money ey be there or there abouts with Saints at GF time because they are the 2 best teams in the comp.

I wouldn't have had a jolly up in France for the last couple of weeks nothing like being grounded after a poor performance by coming home but that's just me.
Good assessment. We are in a transition period and once we faced a top side would struggle. Saints and Cat will share all prices they are step above. We lost first game and the toys go flying out of the pram by some.
It’s not that we lost, it’s the manner of the loss. 2021 performance to a tee. As to in a transition period I am well fed up of that phrase. We have supposedly been in transition for the last five years.

If we remain in transition much longer Saints will eclipse our records and we will join Warrington on the “it’s always their year” wagon. Saints have been better than us for several years now and it’s not good enough.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:37 pm

I'm not being unfairn to Catalan, I like catalan I consider them my second team but they did nothing special tonight which makes it worse for us.
In those conditions they were exceptional. Played the odds by completing their sets, reduced our opportunities through their defensive line speed and had a great kicking game. Yes we were poor but any team would have struggled against them. I expect to see them back at OT in September.