IT IS VERY CLEAR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: IT IS VERY CLEAR

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:40 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:19 am
No straw damn us wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:03 am

Not true, Welsby wasn't signed for Wigan because they had already signed Hanley, who along with Josh Thewliss who went to Wire were the better players at that junior age. Welsby supported both Wigan Warriors and Wigan Athletic as a kid.
Them 2 are a drop in the ocean. Wigan are losing out to saints with scholarship signings in droves of brilliant Wigan amateurs. I spend my weekends watching grass roots rugby so see this first hand.
wigan have signed the best scholarship player from the age group
How dare you not be negative :)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

DaveO wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:14 pm Sorry but this is nonsense. The idea the club is basically clueless as to when a player should hang up his boots is nuts. It should decide when this is. So for example it could decide he’s good for a another two year deal and then that’s it.

That is how the club used to do it and it recognised that players in their thirties however good they once were can’t go on forever and performance inevitability drops off. So they were let go and younger players were brought in either from the academy or from outside. Players like Dennis Betts and Andy Farrell were not kept out of the side by someone in their mid thirties who fancied another season.

In the past players at the end of their careers were let go and replaced. Not offered new contracts until they could hardly walk. The club used to plan replacement of its players but now it looks like it doesn’t have any idea how to do it.

In my opinion the reason we have seen players offered new deals who should have be been let go like Clubb was is the club’s recruitment and scouting is failing to find suitable replacements coupled with a misplaced sense of loyalty (which also means it doesn’t look to replace average players with better quality ones regardless of age).

Tommy might be defying his age most of the time but the club should have sorted out a replacement long before now. Not gone with this “he’s a legend, he gets to decide when he retires” nonsense.

I think we will have the same with Faz and also Powell.
I'm not saying a club is clueless as to when a player should hang up his boots, I'm saying they can't possibly plan right now for Farrell's retirement when he's yet to show any significant decline. Given there are players who play past the age of 35 it's possible Farrell could still have two contract renewals before retirement.

I assume you're not suggesting we should let Farrell go at the end of his current contract? If I'm not mistaken his contract expires this year and he's still very much one of our most important players. So are you saying that right at this moment the club should be saying 2 more years and that's it? What if in two years he's still playing at a high level.

At the moment Farrell isn't keeping players out of the team because he fancies another season. He's probably the most consistent back row forward in the competition still and even a 30% drop in performance would have him among the better back rowers in Super League.

What the club does have to do is work out what length of contract renewal to give him but that's the case with any player in any situation. If you had to guess any current Wigan player that would still be playing at a high level at the age of 35+ I think most would pick Farrell.

I'm really not sure how the club could have a concrete plan in place right at this very moment for Farrell's retirement that was clear enough that a fan on an internet forum could reasonably expect to know what that plan is. I mean what would your plan be?

The club will be well aware that he won't play forever. I think they'll give him a 2 or 3 year renewal and then over the course of that contract is when planning will take place on whether he needs to be replaced with a new signing or whether younger players have already begun to surpass him.

I can understand why some might look at Lockers retirement as poor planning although I'd argue that was just not being ruthless enough. He was allowed to stay for longer than he should have, I don't think anyone would disagree. At the moment you can't really say we've held on to Farrell for too long.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:47 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:19 am

Them 2 are a drop in the ocean. Wigan are losing out to saints with scholarship signings in droves of brilliant Wigan amateurs. I spend my weekends watching grass roots rugby so see this first hand.
Dont be soft I'm not negative just pointing out what I see and hear from the lads themselfs I'm just not blinkered with rose coloured glasses also No they have not signed best scholarship player not
By a long chalk.
pedro

Post by pedro »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:10 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:47 pm

Dont be soft I'm not negative just pointing out what I see and hear from the lads themselfs I'm just not blinkered with rose coloured glasses also No they have not signed best scholarship player not
By a long chalk.
yes they have, he was NWC player of the year last year for the 15's
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:38 am
Wintergreen wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:03 am
josie andrews wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:18 pm

Neither Welsby or Makinson came through our academy. Welsby went straight to Saints from Shevington Sharks & Makinson was signed straight to Saints from St Jude’s.
I don't mean just the Academy Josie, I mean the area/town.
Okay 😊 But Welsby would never have signed for us as mentioned earlier, he’s a Latics fan!

https://twitter.com/_yon_mon/status/151 ... dNS7iD-stw
And probably a season ticket holder at Saints as alot of them are!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Hi all
First post on here.

Just regarding this thread.

Welsby was a Wigan Rugby fan. There are articles on the web where he states that he went to support them in the 2010 final and his favourite player was Sam T.

Tommy M stopped playing then ended up training with Leigh before saints came in for him.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:26 am Hi all
First post on here.

Just regarding this thread.

Welsby was a Wigan Rugby fan. There are articles on the web where he states that he went to support them in the 2010 final and his favourite player was Sam T.

Tommy M stopped playing then ended up training with Leigh before saints came in for him.
Thank you for your input & welcome to the site 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CherryB

Post by CherryB »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:56 pm

We're 8 matches into a season, with a new coaching team and significant changes to the squad. No doubt more change will be needed for next season. Any reasonable plan/expectation/forecast would not have us beating Saints after 7 league games!

I disagree. Madge came in and turned a woeful side into champions with only a couple of additions. He didn't take seasons to do that. He added organisation, a gameplan, instilled confidence. He was a good coach. Holbrook did the same at Saints. They were awful under Cunningham, Holbrook made an instant impact by changing their style of play.

Peet is tweaking some things, but not exactly a revolutionary approach. No matter how many years he is in charge, will be also rans. If IL and KR want to get a coach on the cheap without making any effort, fine. But we have to then accept that we will have mediocre performances for the foreseeable future.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

CherryB wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:36 am
morley pie eater wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:56 pm

We're 8 matches into a season, with a new coaching team and significant changes to the squad. No doubt more change will be needed for next season. Any reasonable plan/expectation/forecast would not have us beating Saints after 7 league games!

I disagree. Madge came in and turned a woeful side into champions with only a couple of additions. He didn't take seasons to do that. He added organisation, a gameplan, instilled confidence. He was a good coach. Holbrook did the same at Saints. They were awful under Cunningham, Holbrook made an instant impact by changing their style of play.

Peet is tweaking some things, but not exactly a revolutionary approach. No matter how many years he is in charge, will be also rans. If IL and KR want to get a coach on the cheap without making any effort, fine. But we have to then accept that we will have mediocre performances for the foreseeable future.
I'm sorry but your missing some very key points.

The players madge brought in
The players he had available already.
I'm sorry but they days of seeing a team like our 2010 one is long gone.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think the truth may be somewhere in between. Peet has already improved our style of play considerably. If we can’t win, we can now entertain, and he has only needed 10 games or so to do so. Madge had a good squad, and a young Sam T to unleash on the world, and didn’t have to overcome a team as good as Saints 22 version.

He is doing very well so far, and seems to understand the gulf between Saints and the rest - accepting it had to be the first step towards changing it for the better.