Wigan squad for Wakefield

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_ITK

Re: Wigan squad for Wakefield

Post by Wigan_ITK »

regardless what a lot of people think i think hes got it….. hastings sent this lad backwards with his control on every big play
Completely agree with this Fireeater. Smith wasn’t able to play his own game as Hastings tried to control it all 9 times out of ten which for me massively effected Harry’s confidence, not to mention the shoulder injury we now know he was carrying for most of the season.

With Tommy out he should now get his chance to get a run of games and I’m confident he’ll take that chance.

And if he shines in the way most of his hope he does then he could well be in with an outside chance of England recognition especially with Dodd looking like he’s out for the season and Mikey Lewis out for a long period with as well.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

buttmonkey2 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:20 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:16 am Matt Peet did say he wouldn’t be selected this weekend!
I never knew Monday's were classed as "Weekend". Maybe I should try that at work ;)

However any one attempts to explain it is still two rounds of fixtures
It’s a ‘Bank Holiday Weekend’ so it counts 😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

Wigan_ITK wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:44 pm
regardless what a lot of people think i think hes got it….. hastings sent this lad backwards with his control on every big play
Completely agree with this Fireeater. Smith wasn’t able to play his own game as Hastings tried to control it all 9 times out of ten which for me massively effected Harry’s confidence, not to mention the shoulder injury we now know he was carrying for most of the season.

With Tommy out he should now get his chance to get a run of games and I’m confident he’ll take that chance.

And if he shines in the way most of his hope he does then he could well be in with an outside chance of England recognition especially with Dodd looking like he’s out for the season and Mikey Lewis out for a long period with as well.
I have never known in 60 years of watching RL that playing alongside a proven class player cand hinder progress of another player or send them back,secondly Smith for England,do me a favour.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Is the wigan game being shown live on any dodgy boxes or other channels ??
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

blindsideprop wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:50 am
Wigan_ITK wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:44 pm

I have never known in 60 years of watching RL that playing alongside a proven class player cand hinder progress of another player or send them back,secondly Smith for England,do me a favour.
George Williams and Gareth Widdop :lol:

Also Hasting had Talent he didn't have class, said it while he was here but he was not a team player.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_ITK

Post by Wigan_ITK »

George Williams and Gareth Widdop
:lol: :lol:

Exactly why I said outside chance for recognition, never once insinuated he’d be a starter and he’s got a long long way to go before then but if you take a look at the 30
man training squad there is now a lack of half backs available so the next in line who aren’t already in the squad based on previous selection for England knights are Abdull, Smith and Richardson.

All of whom have a huge point to prove.

Anyway, I’m more interested on his form for Wigan and hoping he really does kick on in this chance he’s been unexpectedly given.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Smith was playing second receiver when jacko was here…… his natural position is first receiver…… he was basically playing stand off…… dont get me wrong theres a lot of room for improvement in smith but he will have to play to improve…… briers must be having some effect….. you only need to watch tommy to prove this
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Honestly, I think Peet should focus now on what we need to do to be able to compete with Saints in 2024. And Smith is definitely one of the players who could make us competitive. He has shown glimpses and I wouldn’t dismiss the number of times he has won us games at the death - that shows poise and the ability to deliver under pressure. I would persevere with him and play him as much as possible this year. I think the short term “pain” would be offset by experience and the ability of the club to take stock of who can step up enough. And in the meantime, we can enjoy Field and co entertaining us.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I simply don't get all this debate about Harry Smith and his form (or lack of) last year.
He played most of the season with a busted shoulder and went for surgery as soon as the final whistle went in the final match. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he needed a jab to play without immediate pain.

Smith is a great talent and needs a run of games to get his match fitness and game management up to speed.
That he hasn't played much this year is down to Tommy's unexpected excellent form. TL's best form (IMO) since he returned to the club.

With injuries and suspensions that we now have should ensure Harry gets the game time he needs and hope the coaching staff are patient with him and allow himself to get back to his top game.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:57 am Honestly, I think Peet should focus now on what we need to do to be able to compete with Saints in 2024. And Smith is definitely one of the players who could make us competitive. He has shown glimpses and I wouldn’t dismiss the number of times he has won us games at the death - that shows poise and the ability to deliver under pressure. I would persevere with him and play him as much as possible this year. I think the short term “pain” would be offset by experience and the ability of the club to take stock of who can step up enough. And in the meantime, we can enjoy Field and co entertaining us.
2024?