whos getting a new contract from this lot then

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: whos getting a new contract from this lot then

Post by moto748 »

The club seem to rate him, even if few here do.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

moto748 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:15 pm The club seem to rate him, even if few here do.
Yet no other clubs do
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

medlocke wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:31 pm
moto748 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:15 pm The club seem to rate him, even if few here do.
Yet no other clubs do
How do you know this?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:45 pm
Yet no other clubs do
How do you know this?
Where were all the offers and rumours and speculation when he was off contract last time?
Where were the articles in the media from interested clubs?
It's not rocket science, He is a yes man that's why the club love him
We will never dominate with him at 9
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

But 2 points on this

1) he has literally had no challenge to his position since Micky Mac left there has never been a senior hooker (Tommy was signed as a half)

2) wane is at our club yet has selected 4/5 hookers ahead of him for England so when you say they rate him even in English hookers alone he doesn’t make the cut that’s not even including Aussies

I think it boils down to what you want - Powell can be improved upon, so it’s whether you think improving hooker is important - personally I think the player who touches the ball the most in every game should be as good as you can get
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

medlocke wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:59 pm
Yet no other clubs do
How do you know this?
Where were all the offers and rumours and speculation when he was off contract last time?
What about Roby? I've never seen him linked with a move either.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:36 am

How do you know this?
Lockers was never linked with a move either. Do you seriously think Powell is in the same bracket as Lockers or Roby?

It’s not about being linked with moves anyway. It’s whether or not the club takes the opportunity when contracts expire to improve the squad or takes the easy option and just renews contracts.

With Rads seemingly in charge of this aspect, Wigan does the latter.

I also expect Partington to get a new deal. In fact because of how Rads said he wanted to emulate Leeds tiered pay structure he will probably get a pay rise. He shouldn’t be here next season either.

It’s a lazy approach to squad management and lumbers the club with players like Powell for years if not a decade who aren’t good enough.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:25 am
Lockers was never linked with a move either. Do you seriously think Powell is in the same bracket as Lockers or Roby?

It’s not about being linked with moves anyway. It’s whether or not the club takes the opportunity when contracts expire to improve the squad or takes the easy option and just renews contracts.

I also expect Partington to get a new deal. In fact because of how Rads said he wanted to emulate Leeds tiered pay structure he will probably get a pay rise. He shouldn’t be here next season either.

It’s a lazy approach to squad management and lumbers the club with players like Powell for years if not a decade who aren’t good enough.
French, field, Ellis, Mago

If your opinion on Rads is true wouldn't we still have

Escare,Burgess,Bullock, Naverette instead? Or where they let go?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would be happy with Joe Burgess on the wing...
As it happens, I think the club’s recent recruitment has been pretty good - particularly this year’s intake.
By far my main issue with this list is with the retention of a player whose style of player I believe holds us back - and the impression (from him being an automatic selection and being in the “leadership” groups despite his limitations) that he is untouchable. The prospect of no dummy half runs and a plodding passing game for the next 4 years is grim, but one we are all going to have to face.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:28 am
DaveO wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:25 am

French, field, Ellis, Mago

If your opinion on Rads is true wouldn't we still have

Escare,Burgess,Bullock, Naverette instead? Or where they let go?
Didn't at least three if not all four of those four choose to leave? Bullock certainly agreed a deal with Wire and was not let go.

I also didn't think it needed saying that you had to be in with the in crowd. It's obvious some players are favoured despite being bang average at best. It's probably to do with the culture thing. Train well and skill is a secondary consideration or why are players like Powell and Isa still here? For the younger players Rads made it plain at the fans forum that when they graduate from the academy they get a two year deal then once that is up they move onto a first team contract complete with automatic pay rise so Sharrock's, Partington, Havard etc who all came though at a similar time got one of these contracts. It's my opinion that Partington is as likely to be offered a new deal as Havard and it won't be at a lower salary. They will both just go to the next tier when their contracts are up. It's also my opinion Rads won't look outside the club to see if that money could be better spent elsewhere.

This tiered and structured pay scheme was brought in by Rads as he bemoaned the fact some players were on a fortune and others a pittance in comparison but since when in pro sport do average players command the same wage as top players? He also said at the time he did it he thought this was how Leeds retained players which may be true but that doesn't mean you apply it slavishly and keep players you should let go.