Byrne and Havard extend contracts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Forever Warrior

Re: Byrne and Havard extend contracts

Post by Forever Warrior »

More good news from the club. The future looks highly promising.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

This is brilliant news. Havard has always looked like a class act, but Byrne has come on leaps and bounds this year. Happy day.
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

How much credit (if any) does Wane get for his preseason comments about Byrne, when asked who he was looking at to improve the most?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Havard - fantastic news - so much potential there imo.

Byrne- not so sure. But he has improved this year, and maybe the mgt see something in him. If we got him cheap enough, in a salary capped sport, it may work out.
PJC

Post by PJC »

Promising news. It seems that the days of longer term contracts have gone. Maybe both parties didn’t want it or maybe it’s expected in today’s market. It seems a pity that if they are good players we don’t tie them down long term.
I realise it gives the better players bargaining power when the contract ends but it doesn’t help squad stability.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I wonder if the thinking on Byrne is that we aren’t quite sure how good he can get, and with Havard he may have wanted to keep his options open. Anyway, we have at least another couple of years before we need to worry. Excellent business, Mr R.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Great news i think both are good players Byrne is coming on nicely and Havard is already way above what id expect at his age
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Very very happy with this.

Havard has the world at his feet. He reminds me a bit of a Jamie Peacock, although he doesn't have the same aggression and speed he would hit the line at.

Byrne has come on leaps and bounds this year. The effort was always there, but he had to cut out the penalities, errors and obsession with running into brick walls. He has absolutely done that, and given he is only 22, has so many years to mature and improve as a forward.

Are there any other clubs in the league with a 22 and 21 year old prop forward who are in the first team week in week out and performing at their level?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."