Wigan squad for Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wigan squad for Leeds

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

There are a couple of key differences between us and Saints and maybe saints and the rest of the league which is why they are dominating IMO

the main one is recruitment - im not on about signing the best players here im on about they are proper about their recruitment they always ensure that they have players to match the positions and are good in their positions for the way saints play

They also dont stand on sentiment a key feature of them moving forward after KFC - lussick has been brought in at least 1-2 seasons in advance of Roby leaving to ensure its seemless. Farges was sent packing to make way for dodd likewise coote for welsby. They dont stockpile a position and the club comes first - like if Amor had been a wigan player we would of probably given him 2 years and sent bachelor away.

Wigan have automatic picks which is suicide for any top club, you look at the top clubs and i mean dominant clubs players are never given automatic starts - City of today or Utd of old in football if someone could do it better doesnt matter who you are or what youve done youre out, its sport not look after my mates

Wigan have too many passengers nd whats worse a lot of them are in the automatic picks and its fine against the sub standard league for 90% of time but in big crunch matches it will catch you out
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:46 pm There are a couple of key differences between us and Saints and maybe saints and the rest of the league which is why they are dominating IMO

the main one is recruitment - im not on about signing the best players here im on about they are proper about their recruitment they always ensure that they have players to match the positions and are good in their positions for the way saints play

They also dont stand on sentiment a key feature of them moving forward after KFC - lussick has been brought in at least 1-2 seasons in advance of Roby leaving to ensure its seemless. Farges was sent packing to make way for dodd likewise coote for welsby. They dont stockpile a position and the club comes first - like if Amor had been a wigan player we would of probably given him 2 years and sent bachelor away.

Wigan have automatic picks which is suicide for any top club, you look at the top clubs and i mean dominant clubs players are never given automatic starts - City of today or Utd of old in football if someone could do it better doesnt matter who you are or what youve done youre out, its sport not look after my mates

Wigan have too many passengers nd whats worse a lot of them are in the automatic picks and its fine against the sub standard league for 90% of time but in big crunch matches it will catch you out
I agree.
Saints seem to bring their youngsters through and get them playing regularly for first team and they push out the older players, which is unfortunate but better for the future of the club, they also learn from an early age how the first team plays.
Wigan cling on to these players and seem to be worried about how it would be without them as they work hard but for me if want to be a success from a young age work rate should come naturally and if it doesn’t, you shouldn’t be in the first team
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:33 pm
w.thomas wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:52 pm Cancels out last weeks win, shipping 42 points to these men is purely embarrassing. Find me some positives Nathan my man….I’m waiting. Lost for words, disgraceful performance.
Agreed.

Diabolical tonight in all areas.
You know things are bad if you are agreeing with me! Ha. Jokes aside I’ve stopped being a drama queen today and I’m just chalking it down as a bad loss and crossing my fingers we improve lots for next week. Positives, we can’t get much worse than that…..
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:46 pm There are a couple of key differences between us and Saints and maybe saints and the rest of the league which is why they are dominating IMO

I'm sorry but some of this is rewriting history to fit a narrative.

Saints wanted to keep both Fages and Coote but couldn't because of salary cap issues.

I also don't agree that saints recruitment is so amazing compared to everyone else's they have had a large group of players that have been at the club for years, this has a major impact on a squad and is something hopefully we will have going forward.

Be interesting to see how they go for a full season without Roby as he is as talismanic for saints as lockers was for us.

Even Peet as said we are a work in progress we have had possible 3 bad games all season and have a challenge cup to show for it.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

w.thomas wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:28 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:33 pm
w.thomas wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:52 pm Cancels out last weeks win, shipping 42 points to these men is purely embarrassing. Find me some positives Nathan my man….I’m waiting. Lost for words, disgraceful performance.
Agreed.

Diabolical tonight in all areas.
You know things are bad if you are agreeing with me! Ha. Jokes aside I’ve stopped being a drama queen today and I’m just chalking it down as a bad loss and crossing my fingers we improve lots for next week. Positives, we can’t get much worse than that…..
We just didn’t get a roll on or have possession in key areas.

I think our lack of experienced heads is showing. Our most experienced are Farrell, Isa and Powell and they aren’t the type of players to lead from the front and grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

1, 6, 7, 9, 13 also has a lack of big game and historical experience which shows at times.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

We didn’t earn the right to play expansive rugby. Our forwards need to be better otherwise the likes of Field and French cannot operate.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:30 pm

I'm sorry but some of this is rewriting history to fit a narrative.

Saints wanted to keep both Fages and Coote but couldn't because of salary cap issues.

I also don't agree that saints recruitment is so amazing compared to everyone else's they have had a large group of players that have been at the club for years, this has a major impact on a squad and is something hopefully we will have going forward.

Be interesting to see how they go for a full season without Roby as he is as talismanic for saints as lockers was for us.

Even Peet as said we are a work in progress we have had possible 3 bad games all season and have a challenge cup to show for it.
Saints obviously seen the potential with Dodds and welsby, that’s why they could let them go.
They can use their salary cap elsewhere then
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I think we got bullied from the off……. Not very wigan like at all
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
jobo

Post by jobo »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:17 pm I think we got bullied from the off……. Not very wigan like at all
Couldn't agree more. I was surprised that when Field and French were getting roughed up, no one jumped in. Don't mean a full on punch up but just to let them know.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

We haven't gone to being a sh*t team overnight

Don't overreact. Look at how Peet reacts and take a similar measured approach.

Our defence was very flat footed and our centres made very poor choices in defence.

Our centres need to straighten the play up and play like centres in attack, it will give Field a much easier job to get on the outside of the defenders. As it was we made it too easy for their defenders.

This is the obvious area to fix up and we do need to start playing centres there, getting Hallsall in seems obvious.

Passing from dummy half and Cust was very poor tonight, our timing was completely off. This is something we should be able.to fix.

Overall very poor last night and we need to work on lots of areas to improve of we want to make the GF, but we should sort out centres as matter of urgency