Wigan Warriors’ Morgan Smithies is ‘disrespected’ according to leading rugby league agent

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors’ Morgan Smithies is ‘disrespected’ according to leading rugby league agent

Post by josie andrews »

When talking about young rugby league players in Super League, a number of names often get bandied about.

Those such as Hull KR star Mikey Lewis, Warrington Wolves pair Josh Thewlis and Connor Wrench, St Helens’ constant conveyor belt of youth and Catalans Dragons’ young Frenchmen coming through are all worthy names to be mentioned.

But, one name that barely does get a mention is that of Wigan Warriors’ 21-year-old Morgan Smithies.

The tough and uncompromising forward is one of the best and most keen tacklers in the top flight, yet he rarely gets a look in when discussing top, young players in Super League.

And, according to his agent, Craig Harrison of Show Me The Money UK, that is completely and utterly wrong.

“Morgan Smithies he gets so disrespected,” Harrison said on The Full Eighty Minutes podcast.

Players talk about young players and he never gets mentioned because they think he is 30.

“He is only 21 and they go ‘eh?’ Mikey Lewis is the same age as him but Morgan looks like a veteran.”

Harrison also hailed Wigan head coach Matty Peet for the way in which he waxes lyrical about the youngster, too.

He is a cert for England. I’ll give Matty Peet his due, he says he gets a lot of people talking about youngsters but knows Morgan is the real deal, playing at the top week in week out.

“He has got the best wrap on the floor and he is unbelievable, I reckon Morgan was tackling as a baby.”

Of course, Smithies holds the record for the number of tackles made in a game which was 72 back in a Super League play-off tie against the Salford Red Devils.

And, with England head coach Shaun Wane having that Wigan link, don’t be surprised to see the 21-year-old in the reckoning for the World Cup at the end of the year.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-wa ... 56015/7opy
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Welski

Re: Wigan Warriors’ Morgan Smithies is ‘disrespected’ according to leading rugby league agent

Post by Welski »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:39 pm
“Morgan Smithies he gets so disrespected,” Harrison said on The Full Eighty Minutes
I couldn’t help thinking of Rodney Dangerfield when I read that😆
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Warriors’ Morgan Smithies is ‘disrespected’ according to leading rugby league agent

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:35 pm Not in my book he isn’t.
Nor in mine & Young Byrne as well, only 22. Because we bloodied them very young for forwards, they’re thought of as older than what they are, Ollie Partington is still only 23!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Morgan Smithies believes advice from Mike Cooper will help to make him a better player

Morgan Smithies believes he can learn a lot from Mike Cooper following his arrival at Wigan.

The Warriors added the prop to their ranks with immediate effect earlier this month, after his move from Warrington Wolves was brought forward.

Smithies states he is looking forward to receiving from Cooper to improve his own game.

He said: “He’s an experienced player. He has played quite a few games in Super League and has been over in the NRL.

He is someone I can take a bit of advice from. All the boys are buzzing to be playing with him and he’s settled in well.

“There will be a few things I can learn from him, he’s been in the game a while, I’m sure he’ll make me a better player.

“I’m looking forward to playing with him.”

Smithies says it means a lot to have won the Challenge Cup with the current group of players at Wigan, having come through the club’s youth ranks with a lot of them, where they had achieved success and won silverware.

He also admits he still has plenty to learn personally, after picking up a four match ban for two separate incidents in the showpiece occasion at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium back in May.

“A few of the players who were in the Challenge Cup final, had also been in the Grand Final defeat, so to share the high and the lows with the players I’ve come through the system with means a lot,” he added.

“Everyone plays the sport to win, so to do that meant a lot to me and my family. I was buzzing to get it.

“I’ve had that taste of winning and now I want more. If anything it makes you want to work harder to keep doing it.

“Rugby is a physical game, and I’m still learning. I’m still trying to get the balance right of being aggressive and controlling it, not giving penalties away.

“The final was a bit of a slip up for me, but luckily it didn’t cost us, and it’s something I will keep working on.”

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... er-3791129
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

My god another day,another Craig Harrison article.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:20 am My god another day,another Craig Harrison article.
In all honestly when u read this I just thought of I didn't realise Smithies contract us up for renewal.

Agents are just as bad as the rfl for damaging RL they don't give a damn about players just how much the can increase their fee by.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Agent bigging him up to get a bigger contract.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:42 am
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:20 am My god another day,another Craig Harrison article.
In all honestly when u read this I just thought of I didn't realise Smithies contract us up for renewal.

Agents are just as bad as the rfl for damaging RL they don't give a damn about players just how much the can increase their fee by.
You're right and this fella is right up there at the top of the class for solo musical instruments (you know blowing his own trumpet)I tend to avoid anything he has to say frankly.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

The fact that the Agency I'd called show me the money should get it blacklisted by all rugby clubs.

While I understand players want the best out of a short career being with a company by that name does not create an imagine.

Its like virgin media calling themselves bend you over tv
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.