Briers leaves for Brisbane end of this season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: Briers leaves for Brisbane end of this season

Post by No straw damn us »

Briers has wanted to try his hand out in Aus for quite a few years and now the opportunity has arisen. No drama that's fact, good luck to him. He wasn't going to get the main job at Wigan for a few years at least. Thank you and move on.

Which juniors apart from Nicholson have we let go? And he was with his Wigan mates on Saturday watching Wigan reserves!!!
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

There is a big difference in losing players to other clubs as this is a major concern. But with Briers a long life opportunity to go and do the job he loves and give his family in what he sees a better life. How can Wigan compete with that. We just have to say good luck to him and hope it all works out. Thanks for the great attacking play we seen this year and finish it with a grand final win.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

No doubt TL will retire and get the job. Regarding young players we have let go McDonnell, Ellis Longstaff both to other super league clubs. Harry Rushton to Canberra and KPP looks like he’s off to Newcastle. Our long term planning needs to be better as during this time we have extended players contracts who should have been released . Perhaps we might have kept one or two of them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

The club obviously showing compassion in the sense they’ve allowed him to leave his contract early.

However just goes to show contracts not worth as much at Wigan and will never really work in the clubs favour.

Huge loss and hopefully the impact isn’t as bad as when we lost Deacon.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

No straw damn us wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:25 am Briers has wanted to try his hand out in Aus for quite a few years and now the opportunity has arisen. No drama that's fact, good luck to him. He wasn't going to get the main job at Wigan for a few years at least. Thank you and move on.

Which juniors apart from Nicholson have we let go? And he was with his Wigan mates on Saturday watching Wigan reserves!!!
Well said. He was going Australia from wire and only took Wigan job because it fell through. It's not clubs fault it's his dream and never made a secret of it. As for players leaving that's life we are all guilty of grass always greener. If a player wants to move let him go but can't blame club for it.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

While it would be wrong to stand in his way I fear this loss could be huge,for once Wigan looked outside their "bubble"to give Briers a job and it worked wonders I fear that Tommy will get the job and while I admire him in as a player he has little experience as a coach,this next move will impact wigan for the next few years it had to be the right choice not one that's easy...a name I wonder (if heaves his union job of course)like Martin gleeson or Danny Orr,just throwing names out there because they are out there I hope wigan go looking.

As for Briers it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and I hope it goes well for him but I hope he comes back and who knows becomes wigans head coach at a future date
Last edited by fozzieskem on Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

If you watch his interview on Wigan TV, he gets quite emotional talking about leaving Wigan.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Tommy is nailed on to walk into the job - just like lockers before him and Powell will after him
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Wot will they do now anonce that Beven is staying for another year ?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:25 am Tommy is nailed on to walk into the job - just like lockers before him and Powell will after him
I fear you're right